Omar Manning

1 hour ago, Hilltop said:

Levi played his a$$ off.  This catch was as good as any in the game.

I get people are upset we lost a game we could have won but bagging on players who are giving Nebraska everything isn't the answer- ever.  

Have some class... 

This catch was incredible.  This is the exact definition of making a play when you have an opportunity.  Loved it. 

• Plus1 3

6 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

Put these dude in 50/50 chances to win. Betts on the go route. That was a 50/50 and Betts won. I promise you with Betts, Manning and Toure on the field with and 1 of the TE's those plays are open more and more.  But no, we want to run these cluster routes in the middle of the field with everyone covered and force balls in.

So you disagreed when Klatt noted how those bunch plays were getting the TEs and others open on crossing routes? 

• Plus1 1
44 minutes ago, BaytownHusker said:

Put these dude in 50/50 chances to win. Betts on the go route. That was a 50/50 and Betts won. I promise you with Betts, Manning and Toure on the field with and 1 of the TE's those plays are open more and more.  But no, we want to run these cluster routes in the middle of the field with everyone covered and force balls in.

I may be wrong on this, but I think these mesh routes are a part of a specific strategy to pull one or both safeties out of position to then spring one single guy either wide open or in a one-on-one situation.

Thing is...it's actually been working. It's been producing big plays for us so far this season. But it depends on good pass protection because these are slow-developing plays...and we haven't pass protected all that well.

• Plus1 1

I get what Frost is trying to do with the "no block, no rock" philosophy. Build a culture around toughness, team oriented play. It just isn't practical in the situation we're in. We see guys like Wyatt, and Kade Warner get a ton of snaps in his offense, and it isn't because of their play making abilities. Guys like that need to develop as blockers to get to this level, they aren't going to make it to D1 football without perfecting that aspect of their game. I've watched Omar play, he isn't a great blocker, it doesn't appear to be lack of effort. Omar has spent his entire career as a top WR, he was probably told stalk block or run off Corners his entire career. I just think our emphasis is in the wrong place. Even with a guy like Wyatt having played more snaps this season than Omar and Betts, is our run game in a better place? What's the net difference between decent blockers at WR over playmakers at WR? Is having a non-threat in the passing game on the field making it easier for defenses to defend us? I was harsh on AM's turnover issues, but many people (correctly) informed me that the turnovers are a product of AM having the ball in his hands a ton, and a necessary evil due to his playmaking abilities. I hope Frost applies the same logic with the WR room, take the subpar blocking because the increased playmaking ability Betts and Omar bring, is worth the sacrifice. 

TLDR: Emphasize playmaking over blocking, because good WR blocking doesn't seem to be impacting our offense for the better. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Even with a guy like Wyatt having played more snaps this season than Omar and Betts, is our run game in a better place? What's the net difference between decent blockers at WR over playmakers at WR?

Pretty interesting point there, really. Especially because to my eye:

1. We aren't even running outside much anyway.

2. Our RBs are rarely making it to the second level because of how poorly our line is blocking in the first place.

Take Manning's height, wingspan, and vertical jump. Then combine it with the fact that Martinez tends to throw a bit high; does one of these other guys make that catch in the end zone on Saturday? Meaning like, would they have even been physically capable of it?

• Thanks 2
2 hours ago, DefenderAO said:

You can run a play more than once, or variants of it.  Better be an amazing excuse on why he is not playing.

What are you talking about??  He was on the field for over 50% of our offensive plays.  He played a lot, especially considering the temperature on the field.  

12 minutes ago, Undone said:

2. Our RBs are rarely making it to the second level because of how poorly our line is blocking in the first place.

I think you're almost doing the DC a favor. A DC will say, I need my front 7 to stop the run, if I'm worried about a WR blocking out on the perimeter or the second level, then I'm already in trouble. What will worry a DC is having 3 receivers and a TE, that can all make plays in the short, intermediate, and down field passing game. 

• Fire 1
4 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I think you're almost doing the DC a favor. A DC will say, I need my front 7 to stop the run, if I'm worried about a WR blocking out on the perimeter or the second level, then I'm already in trouble. What will worry a DC is having 3 receivers and a TE, that can all make plays in the short, intermediate, and down field passing game. 

This is why the Illinois game is extra frustrating now, given the success we've had in the next 3 games that followed.

We were constantly in 3rd & longs in the first half if memory serves from smashing into a stacked box. But I think the only guy that wasn't available for that game was Vokolek, right?

I think Scott just thought he could manhandle Illinois based on what he saw from fall camp, but it didn't happen at all.

On 9/20/2021 at 11:46 AM, Undone said:

Pretty interesting point there, really. Especially because to my eye:

Take Manning's height, wingspan, and vertical jump. Then combine it with the fact that Martinez tends to throw a bit high; does one of these other guys make that catch in the end zone on Saturday? Meaning like, would they have even been physically capable of it?

I agree with you completely. Few edge runs and few runs getting to the second level that would benefit from good WR blocking. 

Also looks like Frost has really gotten away from throwing 10 smoke- wide screens per game that would benefit from good edge blocking. The few that we've run were blocked fairly well. 

However Mavric claims that right at about half of our runs are to the outside. I would like him to cite his source, because that isn't what I'm seeing. Skeptical