OG Valen Erickson [Missouri - Signed LOI]

Mavric

HuskerBoard Predictor  

15 members have voted

1. 1. To which school will Erickson commit?

This poll is closed to new votes

I just don't see anything special or worthy of even a 3* label here.  He's got a bigness with little strength.  He has slow footwork and stands up before he moves into his block.  He doesn't explode into any block on his hudl film.  Most everything in his film is him blocking a guy 50 pounds lighter.  I can see most DE guys and their quickness skirting this guy in a pass rush.  He is a run blocker of because of his size.  I don't project him as a starter ever, he's just filling up a roster spot.  I'd hate to have this guy on pass protection.  

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, BigRedN said:

I just don't see anything special or worthy of even a 3* label here.  He's got a bigness with little strength.  He has slow footwork and stands up before he moves into his block.  He doesn't explode into any block on his hudl film.  Most everything in his film is him blocking a guy 50 pounds lighter.  I can see most DE guys and their quickness skirting this guy in a pass rush.  He is a run blocker of because of his size.  I don't project him as a starter ever, he's just filling up a roster spot.  I'd hate to have this guy on pass protection.  

Keep him at guard, and he will be fine. He's probaly 6ft 4 1/2 in and not 6ft 6in. He has the tools, and just needs two years in S&C to bring them out. Also, I would say his best attribute is his feet. He's an absolute take for me, and a much better prospect than Frietzche, Yaeger (who is gone), Anderson, Lynn, etc. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Vince R. said:

Keep him at guard, and he will be fine. He's probaly 6ft 4 1/2 in and not 6ft 6in. He has the tools, and just needs two years in S&C to bring them out. Also, I would say his best attribute is his feet. He's an absolute take for me, and a much better prospect than Frietzche, Yaeger (who is gone), Anderson, Lynn, etc. 

Hey Vince, that's encouraging to hear.  I know you have more of the background for this stuff.  I had him below those other prospects myself.  Definitely not a OL Tackle ... at least for me.

• Plus1 1
On 6/19/2021 at 2:51 PM, BigRedN said:

Hey Vince, that's encouraging to hear.  I know you have more of the background for this stuff.  I had him below those other prospects myself.  Definitely not a OL Tackle ... at least for me.

Fair enough, we will see how this shakes out. Luckily none of these players will be needed right away. 

• 1 month later...

• Mavric changed the title to OG Valen Erickson [Nebraska Commit]
  • Mavric pinned this topic

Not a bad get. Lots of run clips on his Hudl film, he can pull and climb to LB fairly well, but the LBs and DEs he's blocking are pretty smallish and not terribly athletic. Likes to finish blocks off- has a bit of a nasty streak. Not enough film on his pass blocking- kick steps etc

Some unrealized potential- per his doughy physique. Some meat still on the bone to be developed. Like everyone says- guard or center, not tackle. 

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, Decked said:

FWIW: no way this guy is 305. I think 265-275. Needs a lot of work in the weight room. I know Luto is a big kid but he makes him look like a freshman in high school standing next to him. 

It's a small class, so to get such an underwhelming prospect at a critical spot with still a whole season to play baffles me.  Oh well, no worries, its just a spot taken for two years anyways.  Most of these guys move on in that time period ... and then we get to stay and hear that we are "young and inexperienced" some more and wonder why.  Ha ha.

14 hours ago, BigRedN said:

It's a small class, so to get such an underwhelming prospect at a critical spot with still a whole season to play baffles me.  Oh well, no worries, its just a spot taken for two years anyways.  Most of these guys move on in that time period ... and then we get to stay and hear that we are "young and inexperienced" some more and wonder why.  Ha ha.

Hopefully a lot of these guys have killer senior years and show they are underrated. 

• Mavric changed the title to OG Valen Erickson [Missouri - Signed LOI]
  • Mavric unpinned this topic