** 2021 Opponent Previews : Illinois (Game 1) **

• 3 weeks later...

At this juncture every game is losable, so we will take any win especially in conference. This team and us fans cant take anything for granted.

And Thanks to the transfer portal We have no way of really knowing how good a team like Michigan State is going to be. So every game is in play and any win is a win. Want to see NU get better at the basics, not beat themselves, but now, lets take and be thankful for any W. Its one step at a time. 

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

Just watched these highlights and I don't feel good about this game. This is a team that has put up 35+ the last two times we've played them. Will definitely need our offense to show up.

While nothing is a gimme, I don’t think you can look at previous years as a barometer for this game. It is a new coaching staff and they lost a lot of players. Not saying it won’t be difficult, but don’t lose sleep over these highlights. 

• Plus1 1
38 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

While nothing is a gimme, I don’t think you can look at previous years as a barometer for this game. It is a new coaching staff and they lost a lot of players. Not saying it won’t be difficult, but don’t lose sleep over these highlights. 

I hope your right. But it is concerning that their oline, qb, and rbs are returning, and make no mistake they whooped our front seven last year.

4 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

I hope your right. But it concerning that their oline, qb, and rbs are returning, and make no mistake they whooped our front seven last year.

They do have those guys returning but they are presumably going to be running a completely different style of offense than they have been.  We've seen first-hand how that transition can be difficult.

Also, I'm not sure they exactly "whooped" our front seven last year.  They had nearly a third of their rushing yards on two plays.  On their other 50 carries they netted 192 yards which is still a big number but only 3.84 per carry which isn't terrible.  Not great for us but not exactly a whoopin'.  They got a lot of chunk plays and completed over 70% of their passes for 8.2 ypa.  That was a whoopin', but not as much on the front seven.