** 2021 Opponent Previews : @ Michigan State (Game 5) **

On 9/13/2021 at 12:46 PM, hskrfan4life said:

It's because they play that Juggernaut in Ames. 

Since Nebraska joined in 2011:

Tennessee Tech

Pitt x3

Louisiana-Monroe

Iowa State x10

Northern Illinois x3

Northern Iowa x3

Central Michigan

Missouri State

Western Michigan

Ball State

Illinois State

North Texas x2

Miami (OH) x2

North Dakota State 

Wyoming

Middle Tennessee State

Kent State

Colorado State

Of course, 3 non-cons don't give them a chance to schedule tougher games, but even before that they haven't

When we had 4 OOC games, Iowa always scheduled an additional P5 opposite ISU.  In the last 4 years before the change we had a home and home with Pitt and Arizona.  No they weren't top tier, but they were middle of the pack P5 teams.  We have been wanting to drop ISU from being every 4 years to 2 out of every 4 so that we could at least get some variety to our P5 teams.

• Plus1 1

Michigan St is 3-0 and has played 3 bad teams. To me this a game we have to win to make a bowl game. I understand their better than last year but we got to have this game a win here and a win against Northwestern puts us at 4-2 with Michigan coming to Nebraska that would put us in a good spot to have a good season . By looking at stats we should be able to throw the ball on them . Hopefully line improves this week so we can run the ball better to set up play action. 

6 hours ago, Otterpop said:

Michigan St is 3-0 and has played 3 bad teams. To me this a game we have to win to make a bowl game. I understand their better than last year but we got to have this game a win here and a win against Northwestern puts us at 4-2 with Michigan coming to Nebraska that would put us in a good spot to have a good season . By looking at stats we should be able to throw the ball on them . Hopefully line improves this week so we can run the ball better to set up play action. 

Agreed. This game will make or break the season imo

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Otterpop said:

Simply the fact we are getting better and better at throwing the ball, it will be easier to run the ball. 

What I find so weird about the MSU vs Miami game is that in the middle of the the 2nd quarter, Miami was up 7-3 and it was totally a game. MSU scores to go up 10-7 with about 3:00 left in the first half.

Miami's QB then has a stroke on the ensuing drive and throws into double coverage for an INT.

It was still only 17-14 MSU at the start of the fourth quarter and then Miami's QB gets hit right before he throws on their own 25, MSU recovers the fumble on a great bounce for them and get it at the Miami 12. And then Miami was done.

Miami blew the game and then seemed to have kind of just stopped playing. But Michigan State has a good throwing QB.

• Plus1 1