** 2021 Opponent Previews : @ Michigan State (Game 5) **

Frost said that he’s keeping his fingers crossed that Oliver Martin will play at Michigan State, but the receiver is still trying to get back from an injury. Martin hasn’t played since week zero at Illinois, where he caught six passes for 103 yards and one touchdown.

Frost said captain Cam Taylor-Britt is trying to do too much. “If he just plays within the structure of what he’s supposed to do, a player like him is going to make a lot of good plays,” Frost said. “I think he’s pressing just a little too much, and sometimes that can lead to a couple bad plays.”

A couple notes on MSU's opponents so far:

Miami is #79 in the country in rushing defense.  #103 in total defense. #113 in scoring defense.

Northwestern is #106 in rushing defense.  #97 in total defense.  #74 in scoring defense.

Youngstown State is #98 in FCS in rushing defense.  #116 in total defense.  #105 in scoring defense.

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

Frost said captain Cam Taylor-Britt is trying to do too much. “If he just plays within the structure of what he’s supposed to do, a player like him is going to make a lot of good plays,” Frost said. “I think he’s pressing just a little too much, and sometimes that can lead to a couple bad plays.”

I could be wrong but I thought Frost made that comment about Cam Jurgens?

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

A couple notes on MSU's opponents so far:

Miami is #79 in the country in rushing defense.  #103 in total defense. #113 in scoring defense.

Northwestern is #106 in rushing defense.  #97 in total defense.  #74 in scoring defense.

Youngstown State is #98 in FCS in rushing defense.  #116 in total defense.  #105 in scoring defense.

The conundrum with looking at this stat is that MSU greatly affects that stat since everyone has played so few games.  

So, we still don't know really if MSU's running game is absolutely amazing, or are these run defenses really just that bad?  I'm sure MSU's running game is good.  It can't be taken lightly and the Huskers have their work cut out for them to contain/slow down that RB.  But, by the end of the year, these defenses might not look quite this bad and MSU might not look quite this good at running the ball.

• Plus1 3

I feel like our defense gets relatively little talk on this board and elsewhere. I think the reason for that is because losing to Illinois (understandably) skews the fan base's perception of how good our team actually is this year so far.

But think about it: Our defense only gave up 21 points to Oklahoma. And our defense only gave up 21 against Illinois.

The two losses we've had occurred because of mistakes we made offensively:

-Against Illinois: Missed some throws, missed some blocks, committed some dumb penalties.

-Against Oklahoma: Really mainly just missed three kicks.

We are close. Close doesn't count, but it's still a true statement - we are close.

• Plus1 3