** 2021 Opponent Previews : @ Minnesota (Game 8) **

21 minutes ago, everybody knows my name said:

The Gophers under Fleck seem to start the season weak and get stronger.  They have improved during the season each year that the Fleckster has been in charge.

This is true, and very frustrating since we always play you late in the year. How has Potts been doing with Ibrahim out? I see he's getting his yards, but there was a massive drop off when Ibrahim was out against OSU - which is to be expected, Ibrahim is a stud. But he was by far the scariest guy on the team, and if Potts is only decent instead of very good that makes life tougher for Morgan.

• Plus1 2
29 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

This is true, and very frustrating since we always play you late in the year. How has Potts been doing with Ibrahim out? I see he's getting his yards, but there was a massive drop off when Ibrahim was out against OSU - which is to be expected, Ibrahim is a stud. But he was by far the scariest guy on the team, and if Potts is only decent instead of very good that makes life tougher for Morgan.

Trey Potts ran for 34 yards on 10 carries against OSU after Ibrahim's injury, then 178 on 34 carries against Miami-Ohio and 121 on 26 carries against Colorado.  He's been good in emergency service, though we'd all rather see Ibrahim starting.

As good as Potts has been, Ibrahim had already gone for 163 yards and 2 TDs on 30 carries before getting hurt against the Bugeyes.  He's still contributing, though - acting as a coach in practice and at games.  Fleck is only half-joking when he says that he's already offered Ibrahim a spot on the staff when he graduates.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Minnesota under Fleck is 28-21

In the previous 49 games- before Fleck got to Minnesota- Minnesota was 28-21.

Jerry Kill was a very good coach. PJ isn't bad either- but it isn't like he turned them around. Jerry K had already done that. 

He came and righted the boat, but Flecks job is to put it in hyper speed.

7 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Minnesota under Fleck is 28-21

In the previous 49 games- before Fleck got to Minnesota- Minnesota was 28-21.

Jerry Kill was a very good coach. PJ isn't bad either- but it isn't like he turned them around. Jerry K had already done that. 

Jerry Kill was hired to get Minny to a bowl game and be respectable. He wasn't ever going to be a long-term coach because of his documented health issues. 

PJ was brought in to build on Jerry's success. So far...meh. But as long as Minny is bowling, it's better than their past few decades. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Wow…..TV must think we are better. When was the last time we had three games on a row as night games?

I think it's a case of we're the only game outside of Penn State/Iowa that will be competitive for the B1G that week:

TBD Wisconsin @ Illinois  TBD
12:00 PM    #17 Michigan State @ Rutgers   TBD
12:00 PM    Maryland @ #11 Ohio State  TBD
4:00 PM    #4 Penn State @ #5 Iowa  (FOX)
7:30 PM    #14 Michigan @ Nebraska (ABC) 

And Michigan is one of the teams (Iowa, Wisky, Michigan) that I think we have a 50% chance to beat if we get the Special Teams s***tacular figured out. 

1 minute ago, VectorVictor said:

I think it's a case of we're the only game outside of Penn State/Iowa that will be competitive for the B1G that week:

TBD Wisconsin @ Illinois  TBD
12:00 PM    #17 Michigan State @ Rutgers   TBD
12:00 PM    Maryland @ #11 Ohio State  TBD
4:00 PM    #4 Penn State @ #5 Iowa  (FOX)
7:30 PM    #14 Michigan @ Nebraska (ABC) 

The bolded is what is amazing to me.  I agree.  I think we will be competitive.  But....emotionally, it's hard to fathom because...well.....