** 2021 Opponent Previews : @ Minnesota (Game 8) **

17 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

The bolded is what is amazing to me.  I agree.  I think we will be competitive.  But....emotionally, it's hard to fathom because...well.....

Yup. If we can fix special teams (or find a workaround for the season--like Martinez pooch punting on 4th)...

On 9/27/2021 at 10:40 AM, hskrfan4life said:

He came and righted the boat, but Flecks job is to put it in hyper speed.

One would have thought that Minny learned their lesson with Glenn Mason. A very good coach who could consistently get them to Bowl games and winning records- they fired him. If PJ can sustain what Jerry Kill established- they should be happy. 

On 9/27/2021 at 11:24 AM, VectorVictor said:

Jerry Kill was hired to get Minny to a bowl game and be respectable. He wasn't ever going to be a long-term coach because of his documented health issues. 

PJ was brought in to build on Jerry's success. So far...meh. But as long as Minny is bowling, it's better than their past few decades. 

Gophers fan here.

I'll tell you right now, this was never the case.  This is revisionist history.

Jerry Kill was a heck of a coach, and the school (and fans) wanted him to stay in the job for the next 20+ years.  Unfortunately, the fans didn't know about his epilepsy and the school didn't know how badly his epilepsy was going to be aggravated by the stress of major college job.  But if Kill had been able to stay in the job, it probably goes without saying that we would have enjoyed more success from 2016 to now than we have.

Fleck might have a higher ceiling than Kill, but we'll never know for sure.  Kill will always be a 'what might have been.'

• Plus1 5
20 minutes ago, everybody knows my name said:

Gophers fan here.

Jerry Kill was a heck of a coach, and the school (and fans) wanted him to stay in the job for the next 20+ years.  Unfortunately, the fans didn't know about his epilepsy and the school didn't know how badly his epilepsy was going to be aggravated by the stress of major college job.  But if Kill had been able to stay in the job, it probably goes without saying that we would have enjoyed more success from 2016 to now than we have.

Fleck might have a higher ceiling than Kill, but we'll never know for sure.  Kill will always be a 'what might have been.'

I loved Kill as a HC, I would take him in a heartbeat if his health allowed at Nebraska yesterday. 

• Plus1 2

39 minutes ago, everybody knows my name said:

Gophers fan here.

Jerry Kill wasnt as flashy as Fleck but he was a great coach.

One of the first things that really made me dislike Fleck was how he bashed Jerry and the "culture" he created. Yes, it was Jerry's former Def Cord who allowed for those 4 players to sexually assault that woman, and he deserved to be fired, but Fleck used that as a way to basically knock what was left in the cupboard when he arrived.

Fleck has had 1 good season with the Gophers. Curious if he can fix what has happened this year but that shouldnt even be a shock. His 1 good year featured two near losses to Fresno State and South Dakota State... He has always coached down to the talent they play against. 

• Plus1 2