** 2021 Opponent Previews : Ohio State (Game 9) **

14 hours ago, lo country said:

This is the crux.  Do you think Frost has had this discussion with anyone on his staff?  Do you think he needs to?

Seriously.  If you think this coaching staff isn't losing sleep at night trying to figure everything out, you are out of touch.  Tough conversations have been had and are continuing to be had.  If your name isn't Ohio State or Alabama, your program can't afford to show that on the outside.  It would effect recruiting and possibly other areas to much.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

did any of those guys take over a group of NFL talent not far removed from playing in the playoffs?

2 hours ago, Caveman said:

Kind of, at UCF. 

1 hour ago, Toe said:

They were just a few years removed from winning the Fiesta Bowl, at least.

Eh, at least on the offensive side of the ball the Fiesta bowl guys were long gone. I only see 1 name that accumulated stats for them in 2013 that also played in 2016, and he had 9 carries for 10 yards in their Fiesta bowl season.

And, you're saying they did inherit great talent at UCF.. they got results there. Not sure what point is being made - Coombs is in trouble for taking high performing NFL talent and turning them into a sieve. Held, Austin, and Verduzco did not inherit that talent, and at least showed something at UCF. FWIW I would not be sad to see Held or Austin go if their groups don't show some improvement this year. But it's a very different scenario, and the "UCF was great before them!" argument doesn't go that far when those players were gone. And, unlike Coombs, they improved it. 

• Plus1 2

The final score doesn't show it, but Tulsa was hanging with them until late in the 4th quarter. It was 20-27 until about 3 minutes left in the game. Ryan Day took defensive play-calling away from DC Kerry Coombs and gave it to secondary coach Matt Barnes, and thinks he's probably going to stick with this arrangement for the season. Not looking good for Coombs...

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32233394/ohio-state-ryan-day-says-matt-barnes-not-kerry-coombs-called-defensive-plays-vs-tulsa

• 2 weeks later...

9 hours ago, runningblind said:

Curious as to what makes it bigger if we win? Lose and we might need W's more badly for a bowl.

Because, if we win this weekend and continue to be consistent, we will probably beat Minnesota and Purdue.  That sets up OSU to be a game where we can beat another top team and one that has dominated the B1G for years.  We would be going into this game 6-3 and with a ton of confidence.  Wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't another night game in Lincoln.

If we win this weekend, the season all of a sudden becomes possibly a lot better than just making it to a bowl game.

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Because, if we win this weekend and continue to be consistent, we will probably beat Minnesota and Purdue.  That sets up OSU to be a game where we can beat another top team and one that has dominated the B1G for years.  We would be going into this game 6-3 and with a ton of confidence.  Wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't another night game in Lincoln.

If we win this weekend, the season all of a sudden becomes possibly a lot better than just making it to a bowl game.

Agree completely.  A 6-3 Nebraska is likely ranked and that would be on the short list for college game day.  There aren't many marquee games that day to contend with, IF Nebraska really is 6-3 going into the game and Ohio State keeps winning.   

11 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Agree completely.  A 6-3 Nebraska is likely ranked and that would be on the short list for college game day.  There aren't many marquee games that day to contend with, IF Nebraska really is 6-3 going into the game and Ohio State keeps winning.   

Sweet.  So how bad do we beat Iowa?  How do we match up against Penn St. in the CCG?  

I won't ask about which New Year's 6 bowl we're going to yet.  Don't want to get ahead of myself.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
26 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I gotcha. That scenario would be a lot of fun indeed.

36 minutes ago, Jason Sitoke said:

Sweet.  So how bad do we beat Iowa?  How do we match up against Penn St. in the CCG?  

I won't ask about which New Year's 6 bowl we're going to yet.  Don't want to get ahead of myself.

If you would take the time to follow the conversation, you would understand my comment was only referring to the what if scenario asked previously.  I am in no way predicting that and neither did they.