** 2021 Opponent Previews : Ohio State (Game 9) **

3 minutes ago, lo country said:

He's been a head coach the same amount of time as Frost....How does he have a larger sample size?  Coombs has been the DC since 2020.....That's two years less than Held, Austin, Verduzco have been at Nebraska.....For a "not good defense", I'll tale theirs.....

1 minute ago, lo country said:

This is Coombs 2nd year as DC (9 games IIRC)......Our O staff have been at NU how long..........Coombs has 1 bad game in 9 games as DC....How many bad games has our O had......I have seen a lot of improvement with the D.....None with the O....

If you think it was only 1 bad game you haven't been watching them much. And I said it earlier, but Coombs took over an elite defense and dropped it to middle of the pack last year, bad so far this year. No one has to buy the reasons/excuses our coaches give for the offensive struggles, but they are at least plausible - there's no lack of talent/needing the right kids/needing older guys at OSU. And if you think we don't make adjustments, Oregon got big plays out of the same things over and over and OSU just lined up the same way. If the problem is scheme or playcalling, which I think is clearly the case at OSU, Coombs is the guy responsible.

In our case I do think position coaches should be feeling the heat, because while I have quibbles with the playcalling a lot of our issues are just not making blocks, making the right reads, etc. They are graded on a bit of a curve with the situation they took over compared to OSU, but Held and Austin have shown some good things in development (Ozigbo, Tanner Farmer) and recruiting (Morrison/Ervin, Corcoran/Benhart) to buy them a bit more time. Walters didn't show a lot recruiting or developing - Morgan and Spielman both had good years before he arrived, and Wan'Dale was a direct Frost recruit - and he got canned. I do think Austin/Held need their guys to play well this year or we could move on, but I also appreciate Frost not throwing them under the bus.

Curious how Day's answers went over with the rest of his staff - there are lots of ways to publicly acknowledge something has to get better without basically telling the media your DC is a dead man walking. 

25 minutes ago, lo country said:

This is Coombs 2nd year as DC (9 games IIRC)......Our O staff have been at NU how long..........Coombs has 1 bad game in 9 games as DC....How many bad games has our O had......I have seen a lot of improvement with the D.....None with the O....

For the record, I would have let some of the O staff go after last year.....

For the record, I firmly believe that coaches many times get on the hot seat for ridiculous situations.

• Plus1 1
49 minutes ago, lo country said:

I agree.  I was honestly surprised to see this...2 games into their season. 

Their defense wasn't good enough at the end of last year though.  I'm guessing Day said I'll give you the offseason to get it fixed.  It honestly looks worse now so it's not unreasonable to put coaches on notice.  I'm not sure I agree with his methods but that's a different topic.  

• Plus1 1

39 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

Their defense wasn't good enough at the end of last year though.  I'm guessing Day said I'll give you the offseason to get it fixed.  It honestly looks worse now so it's not unreasonable to put coaches on notice.  I'm not sure I agree with his methods but that's a different topic.  

This is the crux.  Do you think Frost has had this discussion with anyone on his staff?  Do you think he needs to?

23 minutes ago, TheSker said:

What advice do you think Frost is getting from Osborne and Alberts?.....because they all talk regularly.

They talk regularly?  Like Frost and Moos?  WTH do they talk about since you have such inside information.  Please tell.

I sure as hell don't think they advised him to completely abandon ST play....Or get extra practices off campus......Or to not want to play OU......I think TO would give him similar advise that Bobby Bowden gave TO.  Something program changing....Other than staff continuity and the walk on program I do not see a lot of TO's regular talks playing out on Saturdays performance.  But that's just me.

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, lo country said:

They talk regularly?  Like Frost and Moos?  WTH do they talk about since you have such inside information.  Please tell.

I sure as hell don't think they advised him to completely abandon ST play....Or get extra practices off campus......Or to not want to play OU......I think TO would give him similar advise that Bobby Bowden gave TO.  Something program changing....Other than staff continuity and the walk on program I do not see a lot of TO's regular talks playing out on Saturdays performance.  But that's just me.

I'd hardly call it insider information.

You might even be surprised that JP and Jay Foreman volunteer a few hours each week.

30 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I'd hardly call it insider information.

You might even be surprised that JP and Jay Foreman volunteer a few hours each week.

Not at all.  Remember them getting brought on. Great additions IMHO.  Both ok players IIRC......Defense? :lol: Must be working out as defense seems pretty salty.  Be great to see some previous offensive giys come back and help out. 

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, lo country said:

Not at all.  Remember them getting brought on. Great additions IMHO.  Both ok players IIRC......Defense? :lol: Must be working out as defense seems pretty salty.  Be great to see some previous offensive giys come back and help out. 

Like Matt Hoskinson?

Or hell.....Scott Frost?

• Haha 1
15 hours ago, lo country said:

Coombs has been DC for 9 games.  Austin OL coach for 30+, Held 30+, Verduzco 30+.......  Day ready to make a change after seeing Coombs perform (or not) for only 9 games. Day doesn't like what he sees.  After 9 games.  I am wondering why after 30+ games, Frost hasn't really done anything to demand expectations be met.  He fired/let go Walters after 2018.  First year, new team, trying to instill culture, I could see Frost not firing anyone.  

I see improvement on the receivers side, but is that coaching? Development?  Or the fact that Toure is legit.  Taking emotion out of it, this staff has some serious issues in year 4.  Running game (aside from busted plays) is anemic.  OL blocking.....ST's.......Theres no emotion in those observations.  

did any of those guys take over a group of NFL talent not far removed from playing in the playoffs?

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1