** 2021 Opponent Previews : @ Wisconsin (Game 11) **

3 hours ago, Undone said:

And then to boot, if I'm reading this page correctly, they are dead last in division 1 in turnover margin.

Most of that came at the end of the Notre Dame game, when Mertz was trying to force it like crazy. He threw like four picks in a row, leading to ND scoring 31 in the 4th quarter, after scoring only 10 in the previous 3 quarters. It's the same reason they're so high in total defense but so low in scoring defense.

• Plus1 2
15 hours ago, Toe said:

Most of that came at the end of the Notre Dame game, when Mertz was trying to force it like crazy. He threw like four picks in a row, leading to ND scoring 31 in the 4th quarter, after scoring only 10 in the previous 3 quarters. It's the same reason they're so high in total defense but so low in scoring defense.

Noted. I watched a good chunk of that Irish/Wisconsin game. Their running game is not firing on all cylinders at all though.

The decision to put Braelon Allen (freakishly athletic 6'2, 240 lb 17 year old) at RB instead of LB when he arrived is looking pretty smart now. They don't need help at LB, and getting 3 RBs thrown off the team hurts your depth a bit. He's still just an athlete playing RB, but I'm sure he's ahead of where he would be if they moved him in season.

I don't think it matters a ton though, because Mertz has lost all confidence and fans are realizing their WRs were in fact overrated. OL has also been pretty shaky, but some of that is teams know exactly what's coming and Mertz isn't much of a scramble threat. They're like Iowa if Iowa wasn't forcing an incredible number of TOs and Petras actually had to try and make a play.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

With all the changes in staff, any guesses on the outcome of the Wisconsin game? 

same as it would have been with those guys?  The o-line isn't magically getting better or worse over that time.  Play calling isn't going to really change all that much because Frost is really the OC anyway.  unless guys give up on the season and quit then I expect a competitive game.

• Plus1 2
26 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

same as it would have been with those guys?  The o-line isn't magically getting better or worse over that time.  Play calling isn't going to really change all that much because Frost is really the OC anyway.  unless guys give up on the season and quit then I expect a competitive game.

A major issue we have had this year is that we play like we did against MSU, Michigan, OU and OSU only to go up against lesser teams without the motivation, preparation and intensity.  We then lose those games too.

The biggest issue going into Wisconsin will be what is the mindset of the team?  Are they going to be motivated to go play well, or come in with their minds swimming around on other issues?

I believe, for the last few weeks, the team has been concerned that the staff is all going to get fired because of the record.  Well, now they know what changes are being made.  Hopefully that clears their heads and they go play well.

• Haha 1