Floyd Case Verdict

This is actually pretty quick in the jury room. They did next to no deliberation for trying to come to a consensus on three different charges.

I'm guessing this means conviction. That's most often the case when the jury deliberates for such a short time. 

Just now, knapplc said:

This is actually pretty quick in the jury room. They did next to no deliberation for trying to come to a consensus on three different charges.

I'm guessing this means conviction. That's most often the case when the jury deliberates for such a short time. 

Yeah, maybe.

There will be at least one guilty charge for sure. 

I didn't watch the case, but of all the videos I've seen he's not guilty of murder.

I do think he is guilty of manslaughter. He was reckless and excessive. I don't think the intent of kneeling was ever to kill, but it was to cause pain or discomfort, and it was definitely excessive. He even ignored please from the victim, who was already restrained in handcuffs.

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I didn't watch the case, but of all the videos I've seen he's not guilty of murder.

I do think he is guilty of manslaughter. He was reckless and excessive. I don't think the intent of kneeling was ever to kill, but it was to cause pain or discomfort, and it was definitely excessive. He even ignored please from the victim, who was already restrained in handcuffs.

Was the case on TV?

Last time I saw a live case was Mark Chumara (Packers TE) who was on trial for touching a HS girl in a hot tub.

7 minutes ago, Scarlet said:

I'm thinking guilty of all charges

I really don't think a conviction for murder would ever hold up under appeal. But I know that people will riot and protest if he's not found guilty on all chargers. Which is messed up...

• Plus1 1

You may not be able to prove intent to kill, but the apparent disregard for whether Floyd lived or died, and the amount of time spent lifeless under the knee strikes me as another degree beyond manslaughter. 

Another way of looking at it: people guilty of manslaughter don't often have time to weigh the unfolding consequences and correct their reckless/dangerous actions, hence the lesser charge. Chauvin had 9 and a half minutes, with his own safety never in question. 

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You may not be able to prove intent to kill, but the apparent disregard for whether Floyd lived or died, and the amount of time spent lifeless under the knee strikes me as another degree beyond manslaughter. 

Another way of looking at it: people guilty of manslaughter don't often have time to weigh the unfolding consequences and correct their reckless/dangerous actions, hence the lesser charge. Chauvin had 9 and a half minutes, with his own safety never in question. 

Beyond that, because even after he finally removed his knee, neither he nor any of the other officers attempted CPR. 

I think there's a pretty strong case for murder here. 

• Plus1 3

29 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Third degree murder which only four states have, MN being one, does not require intent.