Floyd Case Verdict

1 minute ago, Omaha-Husker said:

What the f#&% Pelosi

:blink:

That's... a strange way of putting it.

IMO Floyd didn't deserve to die. The court system provided justice. But, I stop short of turning Floyd into a martyr.

8 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I found it interesting (unless I misheard the coverage?) that he will only be sentenced on the primary charge of second degree murder. Sounds like this is Minnesota State law?

I am wondering how someone can be guilty of three different levels of murder.  I thought the jury had to decide what level it was at.  Guess I'm wrong.

Just now, ZRod said:

Agreed, but read the definition of a degree in Minnesota. It fits. It's what you would usually think of as manslaughter.

Is the sentence for that charge quite a bit longer than what would be typical for a manslaughter charge.  Seems as that’s what I read.  

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

I am wondering how someone can be guilty of three different levels of murder.  I thought the jury had to decide what level it was at.  Guess I'm wrong.

Apparently the 3rd degree charge was initially removed by a judge, but later appealed by the prosecution and successfully added back.

I'm guessing it's legal because the different degrees carry varying burdens of proof? But yeah, on the surface, seems weird to my non-lawyer mind.

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

What do you think they say?

My guess, he gets the manslaughter charge and 10 years.  They have taken a long time in the jury room so I feel like some haggling was going on.

If it wasn't for the riots and threat of more riots, this probably would have been the verdict.  

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Enhance said:

:blink:

That's... a strange way of putting it.

IMO Floyd didn't deserve to die. The court system provided justice. But, I stop short of turning Floyd into a martyr.

He is and will be a martyr to a whole bunch of people whether or not we agree or think it is right.

I don't disagree with the verdict in this case but people need to realize that when you have a criminal record....when you resist arrest or try to escape....when you don't follow lawful orders from LEO's...when you're all jacked up on drugs, etc., sh#t can go south for ya in a hurry. So many of these cases could've been prevented by the victims. That does not absolve the cops of their responsibility but it sure would go long ways towards not having so many of these situations ending in a death.

• Plus1 1

Both the protests and the riots came after years of similar cases where folks waited patiently (as Archy prefers) only to have the officers face zero jail time and often the barest of consequences. Time after time after time after time after time after time.

The George Floyd video felt like the last straw. Even when caught in a snuff film, who wanted to bet Chauvin wouldn't skate? 

The protests were justified. Maybe some of the rioting, too. I mean, holy f#&%, what's wrong with this country?  The looting -- as mentioned -- is the work of opportunists who work Super Bowls, police funerals, and power outages, too. Did the protests force the jury's hand for the first time in memory?  Well that kinda kills the argument for remaining silent and trusting. 

But let's face it. If the incident hadn't been fiilmmed, Derrick Chauvin would be having cocktails right now. 

• Plus1 4
11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Both the protests and the riots came after years of similar cases where folks waited patiently (as Archy prefers) only to have the officers face zero jail time and often the barest of consequences. Time after time after time after time after time after time.

The George Floyd video felt like the last straw. Even when caught in a snuff film, who wanted to bet Chauvin wouldn't skate? 

The protests were justified. Maybe some of the rioting, too. I mean, holy f#&%, what's wrong with this country?  The looting -- as mentioned -- is the work of opportunists who work Super Bowls, police funerals, and power outages, too. Did the protests force the jury's hand for the first time in memory?  Well that kinda kills the argument for remaining silent and trusting. 

But let's face it. If the incident hadn't been fiilmmed, Derrick Chauvin would be having cocktails right now. 

I'm not sure that it's a good thing for this country that a threat of violence/destruction could potentially sway a jury. Either way, the justice system did the right thing today in Minneapolis.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
2 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I'm not sure that it's a good thing for this country that a threat of violence/destruction could potentially sway a jury. Either way, the justice system did the right thing today in Minneapolis.

The mafia has been doing it for decades. 

• Plus1 1