Floyd Case Verdict

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

First, as you say, resisting arrest puts you at greater risk, but it shouldn't be a death warrant. 

Second, as evidence has made painfully clear, many of these incidents involve people doing nothing wrong, and the confrontation is escalated by police with faulty information, mistakenly identifying a weapon, and sometimes just being pricks. Derrick Chauvin  had a history of  being a prick. 

Thirdly, both scenarios apply more often to Black people. 

I mean, you literally blamed the victim in the previous post. 

Even with  your rationale, it still feels like proclaiming "ALL lives matter."  While the sentiment is true, it's being used to distract from the real issue. 

You take from it whatever you want. I'm done explaining it. Obviously you and some others want to take compartmentalized statements and apply them to issues I am not attempting to address. Maybe it is partially my fault for making general statements in this specific thread. I made the mistake of thinking people could focus on exactly what it was I was saying and avoid twisting it to fit what they would rather talk about.

This is why P&R discussion is so f#&%ing fun....not.

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Context and timing does have a lot to do with it. 

Like I said, probably my fault. I'm primarily thinking about Taser Taser Taser guy that gets shot but conveying those thoughts in the GF thread. Seemed like a closely enough related topic, as long as I was being specific. Guess not.

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm literally saying that old white guys thinking back on their youth, who then envision themselves doing the same thing with black skin, are inclined to say "oh sh!t....we could have gotten shot for that." 

Trust me, I get it.

15 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Do police regularly get off of charges that would land anyone else in jail? Do police habitually protect their own using resources not available to others? Do police lie on the stand, and more to the point, lacking any video proof, does a policeman win virtually every "he said/she said" account entered as evidence? Has even compelling video evidence been ignored until yesterday?

Are juries reluctant to convict police, mindful that the job is stressful and a conviction might discourage future recruitment?  Is there any doubt that while you consider the Chauvin verdict correct, the Chauvin verdict would not have happened if there were merely eyewitnesses recounting what they saw, up against Chauvin and fellow police witnesses assuring us the actions were valid --- which is what they tried to do, rather dishonestly? 

The answer to most of these questions is "yes" but it is not a great analogy because anyone else is not charged with preventing crime and arresting people.  Regular people get to call the police and pass the buck on handling a suspect high on drugs resisting arrest.

12 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I've posted this in here before. It came up when I was hanging with some old Nebraska buddies, remembering the most legendary hijinks of our youth. Almost all of these guys are Trump supporters.. They've done pretty well in their lives.  We may not agree on much, but they did have to agree that had we been black in our hell-raising days, we would have been dead or in jail years ago. 

That's they part some people just don't get. 

What did you do?  We had some yahoos in our high school but not one of them would resist arrest and expect to get any sympathy from justice system or the rest of society. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

So at what point in that 10 minute video is GF considered not resisting arrest any longer, so the officer can take his knee off his neck? Minute 4 where hes not moving at all and in handcuffs? Minute 5 where hes not moving at all and in handcuffs? Minute 6 wheres hes not moving at all and a EMT tells them to check for a pulse and hes in handcuffs? Minute 7 where hes is still not moving and in handcuffs? Minute 8 wheres hes not moving and in handcuffs? Minute 9 wheres hes not moving and in handcuffs? At what point in that confrontation does the officer feel he has GF under control and can sit him on his a$$ or was he resisting arrest for all 10 minutes?

• Plus1 3

Something I just thought about, what would you have done if you were there, in person, with the floyd thing.

Filmed it?  Attempt to break it up? Yell?

I would have probably done nothing, I am a huge sissy.  There is no way I would have yelled or tried to break it up and I would have had no desire to film it.  

What about you guys?

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

Something I just thought about, what would you have done if you were there, in person, with the floyd thing.

I would have probably done nothing, I am a huge sissy.  There is no way I would have yelled or tried to break it up and I would have had no desire to film it.  

What about you guys?

I hate confrontation, so I am not sure what I would have done.  I don't get the thought that everything needs to be videoed now, but it's good that this instance was caught by someone's phone.  I probably would have stood there for a minute or so, and then walked off.  I am not proud of that, but I don't really like "butting in" to situations which I am not involved in.

EDIT:  Maybe I could learn from recent times and try to be more pro-active and change things which I don't like seeing, but it's still not in my personality to get overly involved in outside situations.

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

What about you guys?

I probably wouldn't have done anything because I tend to have the opinion that when I see police doing something, I figure that I don't know the whole story and it's possibly justified.  If you're an innocent bystander just walking by in the George Floyd issue, you have no clue what the person was doing before the police got involved and you have no idea if it is justified or not.  

Another question is, let's say there was something that happened that you don't know about and how dangerous George Floyd was before the police got involved, are you putting yourself and the police in more danger by getting involved.

It's the tough question for the public in these situations.

• Plus1 1