Floyd Case Verdict

5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Why doesn't the cop shoot this guy when he swings the knife at him?

This is bulls#!t. It's not productive.

Again; different cops, different departments, different situations.

Rittenhouse ran blocks before he was near a cop, and they probably had no clue what he did. Dispatch probably didn't relay the message to those units before he got to them.

What's the story on the other guy? Does he have a history of this? Were the cops told he has mental issues? I don't see anyone else near him but the cop, who seems to feel he can deal with it, but he has a weapon out to defend himself.

• Plus1 2
Just now, ZRod said:

What's the story on the other guy? Does he have a history of this? Were the cops told he has mental issues? I don't see anyone else near him but the cop, who seems to feel he can deal with it, but he has a weapon out to defend himself.

The Rittenhouse tweet just came along for the ride thanks to twitter. 

The main tweet, in which the guy swings his knife inches from the cop, is the one I'm asking about. Sure, lots of things are different. But that knife is less than a foot from the cop, swung with intent, and there's no bullet. 

It's a fair question to ask why. 

2 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Crazy guy acting crazy vs lady trying to kill another person with obvious intent.

I probably woulda at least tased the guy when he got close to me though.

Yeah, if my daughter was getting attacked by someone wielding a knife, I would hope an officer would intervene. Lose/Lose for the cop there. If they shoot the girl with the knife, they get backlash. If they don't use deadly force and someone gets stabbed/dies - they get backlash. 

• Plus1 3

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Anyone ever have a confrontation where someone pulled out a knife? 

I was walking to my hotel with my girlfriend one night in New York when this guy pulled a knife on me & demanded my wallet. My girlfriend said I'd better give it to him and I asked why? She said, "He's got a knife," and I just chuckled and said, "Aww, that's not a knife," then I reached back and pulled out my knife and held it up and said, "Now THAT'S a knife!" and it was as long as that punk's arm. The would-be robber just ran away as I went about my evening.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
Just now, knapplc said:

I was walking to my hotel with my girlfriend one night in New York when this guy pulled a knife on me & demanded my wallet. My girlfriend said I'd better give it to him and I asked why? She said, "He's got a knife," and I just chuckled and said, "Aww, that's not a knife," then I reached back and pulled out my knife and held it up and said, "Now THAT'S a knife!" and it was as long as that punk's arm. The would-be robber just ran away as I went about my evening.

HAHAHAHA!

I hate that I started reading that as a serious post at first!

For 100 Huskerboard points...What was Paul Hogan's line of work before acting?

3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

HAHAHAHA!

I hate that I started reading that as a serious post at first!

For 100 Huskerboard points...What was Paul Hogan's line of work before acting?

He was a common laborer. Blue-collar guy.  Kinda like Harrison Ford before American Graffiti. 

Just now, teachercd said:

Yeah, I think he was painting houses or something.

And him and Harrison have also had very similar movie careers.  Ha

What if they'd have switched careers? Harrison Ford plays a gruff but lovable Outback Guide (can he do an Australian accent?) and Paul Hogan plays Indiana Jones & Han Solo. 

I think it'd work! 

Just now, knapplc said:

What if they'd have switched careers? Harrison Ford plays a gruff but lovable Outback Guide (can he do an Australian accent?) and Paul Hogan plays Indiana Jones & Han Solo. 

I think it'd work! 

Han greeting Lando 

Han:  "D-Day Mate"

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Yeah, if my daughter was getting attacked by someone wielding a knife, I would hope an officer would intervene. Lose/Lose for the cop there. If they shoot the girl with the knife, they get backlash. If they don't use deadly force and someone gets stabbed/dies - they get backlash. 

This is where I’m at here too

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

The answer to most of these questions is "yes" but it is not a great analogy because anyone else is not charged with preventing crime and arresting people.  Regular people get to call the police and pass the buck on handling a suspect high on drugs resisting arrest.

Well on the one hand, regular people have to deal with people high on drugs and potentially violent all the time, and often don't call the police because it's a child, a spouse, or a friend. Unarmed social workers walk into high-risk situations every day, assess and de-escalate the situation, and call police only in the most urgent cases. In a majority of cases, the police do the right thing. But too many times, they don't. In the police shootings we're discussing, you have to ask yourself if the officer in question -- often backed by fellow officers -- is facing a life threatening situation when they use deadly force. Before facing any review within the criminal justice system, we have guys resisting arrest being executed. Turns out not all of these are resisting arrest scenarios, either. We also have Black men and women being held to a completely different standard, and that's really the issue here. And we do have entire police departments lying -- outright lying -- to protect their own, which has been SOP for as long as can be remembered, and few officers will deny it.

It's not really an analogy I was making, just a legitimate source of frustration.

6 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

What did you do?  We had some yahoos in our high school but not one of them would resist arrest and expect to get any sympathy from justice system or the rest of society. 

Where to begin?  I don't know about your middle school or high school, but what the Lincoln middle class white kids called partying and wilding was technically trespassing, vandalism, theft, and class one drug use and distribution. I remember many a fall night where the Lincoln police helicopter would fly overhead, tracking 50 of us with a spotlight as we wandered the neighborhood around Seacrest Field looking for trouble.

When the police showed up, you know what we did? We ran. Laughing. Because we were young and fast and knew the neighborhood.

I don't know if expected sympathy from the justice system, but we got it. That's why it's worth switching perspectives here: imagine a group of teenage blacks roaming the streets of Lincoln, drunk and stoned, tossing grassbags and eggs, smashing mailboxes, knocking out streetlights with snowballs, vandalizing construction sites, etc., and facing virtually no consequences.

And of course we weren't a tiny minority of troubled class yahoos. Every popular girl shoplifted like crazy. Our biggest drug dealer is now a school superintendent in Kansas. My college roommate -- who I bailed out of jail when he tapped a police officer in the sternum while insisting we had the Constitutional right to play loud music in our own home -- is the vice-president of a large data analytics firm. I haven't egged a house in years.   

As white guys we could grow up and laugh at how stupid we were. As Black kids, we're dead or in jail. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well on the one hand, regular people have to deal with people high on drugs and potentially violent all the time, and often don't call the police because it's a child, a spouse, or a friend. Unarmed social workers walk into high-risk situations every day, assess and de-escalate the situation, and call police only in the most urgent cases. In a majority of cases, the police do the right thing. But too many times, they don't. In the police shootings we're discussing, you have to ask yourself if the officer in question -- often backed by fellow officers -- is facing a life threatening situation when they use deadly force. Before facing any review within the criminal justice system, we have guys resisting arrest being executed. Turns out not all of these are resisting arrest scenarios, either. We also have Black men and women being held to a completely different standard, and that's really the issue here. And we do have entire police departments lying -- outright lying -- to protect their own, which has been SOP for as long as can be remembered, and few officers will deny it.

It's not really an analogy I was making, just a legitimate source of frustration.

Where to begin?  I don't know about your middle school or high school, but what the Lincoln middle class white kids called partying and wilding was technically trespassing, vandalism, theft, and class one drug use and distribution. I remember many a fall night where the Lincoln police helicopter would fly overhead, tracking 50 of us with a spotlight as we wandered the neighborhood around Seacrest Field looking for trouble.

When the police showed up, you know what we did? We ran. Laughing. Because we were young and fast and knew the neighborhood.

I don't know if expected sympathy from the justice system, but we got it. That's why it's worth switching perspectives here: imagine a group of teenage blacks roaming the streets of Lincoln, drunk and stoned, tossing grassbags and eggs, smashing mailboxes, knocking out streetlights with snowballs, vandalizing construction sites, etc., and facing virtually no consequences.

And of course we weren't a tiny minority of troubled class yahoos. Every popular girl shoplifted like crazy. Our biggest drug dealer is now a school superintendent in Kansas. My college roommate -- who I bailed out of jail when he tapped a police officer in the sternum while insisting we had the Constitutional right to play loud music in our own home -- is the vice-president of a large data analytics firm. I haven't egged a house in years.   

As white guys we could grow up and laugh at how stupid we were. As Black kids, we're dead or in jail. 

"Just give me your beer and walk from here", was pretty common from our city cop.  County on the other hand, almost everyone in my graduating class resisted arrest at least once.  If we saw "unaccounted for" headlights coming into the pasture we were heading for the fields.