Floyd Case Verdict

8 hours ago, knapplc said:

Let's not pretend that cops are so altruistic that they would disregard their own life in favor of a knife-wielding attacker over the life of a complete stranger.

That's a lovely way of looking at life. It's not realistic in light of the pattern & practice of policing we've seen in the past several decades.

Don't be so cynical there are still plenty of good cops out there that are doing it right. They should be commended, not questioned.

• Fire 1

12 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Don't be so cynical there are still plenty of good cops out there that are doing it right. They should be commended, not questioned.

You're smart enough to know why I'm asking the question I'm asking. Don't argue just to argue. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

You're smart enough to know why I'm asking the question I'm asking. Don't argue just to argue. 

Then ask the question and don't post tweets from two obviously different situations. The tweets is borderline a s#!t post. I get the overarching point, but there's probably a more productive way to have the conversation (that's not directed at you specifically, but the meme generation mentality we all have now).

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

609.19 MURDER IN THE SECOND DEGREE.

Subd. 2.Unintentional murders.

Whoever does either of the following is guilty of unintentional murder in the second degree and may be sentenced to imprisonment for not more than 40 years:

(1) causes the death of a human being, without intent to effect the death of any person, while committing or attempting to commit a felony offense other than criminal sexual conduct in the first or second degree with force or violence or a drive-by shooting; or

The problem I have with this Minnesota law is that there are a lot more crimes classified as a "felony" now than when 'felony murder' was defined at common law.  It is actually very hard to unintentionally cause someone's death without there being any felony.  Therefore I say Minnesota has effectively said that almost every Manslaughter can be charged as a 2nd degree Murder. 

See also 

In the vast majority of jurisdictions that authorize felony murder charges, the underlying crime has to be distinct from the act that caused the victim's death. Someone who participates in a burglary or robbery that turns fatal, for example, can be charged with felony murder—a policy that has been widely criticized because it can result in severe punishment for people peripherally involved in crimes that result in someone's death, regardless of their intent or knowledge. But in Minnesota, the "independent felony" rule does not apply, which means an assault that unintentionally kills someone, which ordinarily would be treated as manslaughter, can instead be charged as murder, dramatically increasing the potential penalty.

https://reason.com/2021/03/11/a-reinstated-third-degree-murder-charge-gives-jurors-another-option-to-convict-derek-chauvin-for-killing-george-floyd/