2021 Spring Game - May 1st @ 1:00 CDT

With the RBs, it's like we've got plenty of guys with potential, but the question is who can stay healthy? Remember that Yant is pretty much the only guy who was healthy all through spring. Hard not to like him, especially considering that we got him as a walk-on, but he's probably not gonna be an every down kind of back.

I'm thinking this fall is probably gonna be RB by committee, where we're just plugging in whoever is healthy at the time. Can we find consistency that way?

• Fire 1

Hail Varsity has the offensive stats posted:

https://hailvarsity.com/football/offensive-stats-from-nebraskas-2021-red-white-spring-game/

Man, Haarberg was only 9/23? Didn't feel like he was THAT bad. And you kinda have to wonder what's up with Smothers not getting a whole lotta time in the spring game. He was 8/14 (one attempt for White, the rest for Red).

One name missing from the stat sheet: Betts. Seeing him on the White team (mostly 2s) raised my eyebrows a bit. Sounds like he's got all the physical tools to be a star, but he's not picking up the mental part very well, like just knowing what the play is and what route he's supposed to be running.

2 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

A lot of people on social media are complaining about Martinez's performance, saying he still looks rotten. Kinda contradicts what I read here?

Because they look at the throw to Ervin that didn't connect since Ervin slowed down on the route and the fun play to the LT. 

He looked more like his Freshman season from a build perspective. 

A lot of people on social media are complaining about Martinez's performance, saying he still looks rotten. Kinda contradicts what I read here?

Because they look at the throw to Ervin that didn't connect since Ervin slowed down on the route and the fun play to the LT. 

He looked more like his Freshman season from a build perspective. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Well, it's hard to dispute what "a lot of people on social media" say :lol:. Those people on social media are 

always so reasonable.

• Haha 2

Spring Game is all about optimism, but I wasn't seeing it today. I know it was windy but it was also zero pressure and low stakes, and Martinez missed some simple throws, including the really predictable and safe out patterns that we over-relied on last year. You could also see wide open receivers 10 yards deeper, but he was locked in on his first look. Spring Game is a great place for a young back up to show a little dazzle along with the rookie mistakes, but I saw nothing to make me curious much less excited about Haarburg or Smothers, not like Tristan Gebbia who was a total baller his first Spring Game. WRs might be better, hard to tell. Same with the running backs, although Yant stood out a bit from the crowd. No idea what the defense is like --- QB pressure was a problem last year and it felt like the green jersey curtailed any aggressiveness. 

Sorry. I was honestly ready to get excited by the Spring Game. 

• Plus1 1

TBH, I tried staying engaged in the game and just couldn't do it. I noticed Nutmasher on one play and other than that it was boring and mostly uninformative. It doesn't matter how the team looks against each other. We should know more by around October.

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

TBH, I tried staying engaged in the game and just couldn't do it. I noticed Nutmasher on one play and other than that it was boring and mostly uninformative. It doesn't matter how the team looks against each other. We should know more by around October.

It was boring.  The first half was useless and those guys (most of them) have played a million snaps.  They were looking to get it done with, go shower, and head home for a nap and then a night out of partying.  

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Toe said:

With the RBs, it's like we've got plenty of guys with potential, but the question is who can stay healthy? Remember that Yant is pretty much the only guy who was healthy all through spring. Hard not to like him, especially considering that we got him as a walk-on, but he's probably not gonna be an every down kind of back.

I'm thinking this fall is probably gonna be RB by committee, where we're just plugging in whoever is healthy at the time. Can we find consistency that way?

Martinez missed some easy throws, 12-20 is nothing to brag about. Smothers holds the ball too long and is indecisive. QB is going to be average at best.

Manning snd Betts dropped too many balls as well. RB by committee looks like the plan, with Yant getting at least 12 carries per game.

a lot of home town boys getting on this years roster, new trend?

.500 ball looks about right, stuttering defense and sporadic offense, just the reality after seeing what was showcased, hope i am wrong. Boring, except for last 2 plays.

• Plus1 1