2021 Spring Game - May 1st @ 1:00 CDT

3 hours ago, flatwaterfan said:

That's what I was looking for! My thoughts after watching the highlights.

The Red would have scored a lot more points if tackling was allowed the first half.

AM's stats should have been better drops and poor route running hurt. He did have a couple bad throws. 

Backup QB's look athletic, but neither looks ready to play meaningful minutes yet. 

If QB's were allowed to be tackled they would have gained a lot more yards.

The starting offensive line opened up some big holes. 

RBs looked good. 

• Fire 1
1 hour ago, hunter49 said:

Martinez missed some easy throws, 12-20 is nothing to brag about. Smothers holds the ball too long and is indecisive. QB is going to be average at best.

Manning snd Betts dropped too many balls as well. RB by committee looks like the plan, with Yant getting at least 12 carries per game.

a lot of home town boys getting on this years roster, new trend?

.500 ball looks about right, stuttering defense and sporadic offense, just the reality after seeing what was showcased, hope i am wrong. Boring, except for last 2 plays.

Agreed with everything you said until you .500 ball

I'm a little surprised by some of the negativity I'm reading here.  It was windy as all get out here in the Lincoln-Omaha areas.  Don't  sweat the passing game woes.  

For the skill positions, I'm optimistic about the RB and WR groups.  The O-ine should be better in '21 and that will help immensely.    Also need a little luck on the injury front.

Martinez mostly threw well, especially considering the wind, and he looks quicker.  Granted, knowing he wasn't going to get popped, may have helped.  But overall, if he holds onto the ball, A-Mart should be pretty darn good this season.

I'm excited about Haarberg's potential.  Hopefully he keeps working hard and improving.  Good size and athleticism.

Not sure what to think about Smothers.  He runs well, but I think his passing really needs to improve.  Plus he's just not that big, frame wise.  Kind of like LM looked IMO.  

D will be good, but tough to gauge much based on the spring game set up of thudding and green jerseys.

Special teams:  Who the heck knows.  It has to be better, right?

All in all, I still stand by prediction of 6 or 7 regular season wins.  I think this team can be pretty good if the focus is there and a few things go the right way.  

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Y'all need to adjust whatever you think about this game by looking at Lincoln's weather today. Sunshine doesn't mean perfect weather. I'm amazed they did any passing at all.

Don't trust me. Check your weather app.

Or the weather forecast I posted on here the other day, lol.

12 hours ago, knapplc said:

Wow some of you watched a different Spring Game than me today!

If you didn't see the O Line moving people off the ball, if you didn't see a group of hungry running backs, if you didn't see a more nimble, more decisive, better-throwing Adrian Martinez today, I think maybe you watched a different game than I watched. If you're not excited about the running back room, you maybe caught some other show. Dunno.

I get that some of you don't live in Lincoln, and that a bright, sunny broadcast may have made you believe this was idyllic football weather. I live in Lincoln, and I had errands to run today. My car was blowing about on surface streets. On 77 west of town I was buffeted quite a bit. On 180 heading into downtown this morning I was constantly adjusting my steering.

Today was not an ideal day to feature the passing game. That literally ANY passes were a tight spiral or hitting receivers in their hands was damned impressive.

Y'all need to adjust whatever you think about this game by looking at Lincoln's weather today. Sunshine doesn't mean perfect weather. I'm amazed they did any passing at all.

Don't trust me. Check your weather app.

Heck. Watch the game.

I saw (some) nimble QBing.  Etc but what caught my eye was the White Team D.  Through the whole thing I detected desire .. frustration at not being able to throw 'em down first half, but eager guys all around.  Liked AM's pass work in the stiff breeze, generally.  Banging running game looked fine.  Got a kick out of HH's TD as the game closed.  Great experience. 

13 hours ago, knapplc said:

Wow some of you watched a different Spring Game than me today!

You're right. I accidentally watched the 2019 Spring Game, with breakout performances by hungry running backs Jaylin Bradley, Brody Belt, and Austin Hemphill. I saw big play performances from a new crop of wide receivers, including Wyatt Liewer, Cade Warner, and Jaron Woodyard. Noah Vedral played well enough to push Adrian Martinez for playing time.

In fairness, it was a beautiful windless day. 

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Welcome to the Nebraska Spring Game thread where nope springs eternal.

Haha. This might be the most realistic outlook going into a season that I can remember.  Peoples expectations truly appear to be more on the "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" level.  Can't disagree.  A ton of potential, but I feel like I have said this since Frank got fired.  Thought the D had the potential to be close to 2009/2010 good. This was prior to Honas going out.  Regardless of potential back-ups, he's not a guy "next man up" easily replaces.  Oh well, into the off season.  Again.

• Plus1 1

The biggest mistake you can make is to read too much into a spring game. None of the spring games are live football like a regular season game and the practices are scattered throughout. It's mostly about player development and you can clearly see some development happening among the players. 

I've seen teams that won 11 games during a season that looked really sloppy, slow, and not good at all and I've seen the opposite where they looked like they were in mid-season form and the head coach ended up being fired down the road. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, uberism said:

The biggest mistake you can make is to read too much into a spring game Any Husker Game:D. None of the spring games are live football like a regular season game and the practices are scattered throughout. It's mostly about player development and you can clearly see some development happening among the players. 

I've seen teams that won 11 games during a season that looked really sloppy, slow, and not good at all and I've seen the opposite where they looked like they were in mid-season form and the head coach ended up being fired down the road. 

FIFY.  TBH, I feel that way about every game the past few years.  Other than mistake prone, I am unsure which Husker team will show up week to week. Eventually we have to turn the corner right?  Right?