Extra Year for Volleyball Seniors?

• 4 weeks later...

Some deets:

Nebraska outside hitter Lexi Sun returning for a fifth year

Lexi Sun is running it back one final time.

The two-time All-American announced on her social media Wednesday morning that she will return to the Huskers this fall to take advantage of the extra season of eligibility granted to players because of the coronavirus pandemic.

“Because of the challenges that have come along with the past year, I am grateful to have received another opportunity to play and compete alongside some of my favorite people,” Sun said in a release. “I am especially looking forward to getting to play in front of Husker nation one last time. I can’t wait to see what else this last chapter of my time here at Nebraska holds.”

Sun, who graduated in December and is working toward a masters in advertising and public relations, earned all-Big Ten first team and third-team All-American honors for the second straight year. She was also recognized as Big Ten player of the week twice in 2021.

While Sun’s hitting percentage dipped from .270 to .242, she set career best marks in kills, blocks and aces per set. She also led NU with 4.37 points per set.

“I am pumped Lexi has chosen to return to Nebraska for one more season,” NU coach John Cook said. “She has really grown as a player and a person in the last three years at Nebraska. Lexi still has unfinished business at Nebraska. We will be on a mission this season and her experience can help our younger group get there faster.”

• Plus1 1

• 3 weeks later...

Word is Stivrins' injury is pretty significant and that's part of why there hasn't been an announcement on if she'll be back or not.  She's really not able to do any volleyball workouts yet and isn't expected to be full-go until September.

But the thinking is she's going to be back for another year.  But there might not be any formal announcement until fall.

20 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Word is Stivrins' injury is pretty significant and that's part of why there hasn't been an announcement on if she'll be back or not.  She's really not able to do any volleyball workouts yet and isn't expected to be full-go until September.

But the thinking is she's going to be back for another year.  But there might not be any formal announcement until fall.

Man that sucks for her. Considering that, I would think staying another year and rehabbing using UNL resources makes sense. Not sure if professional V teams have the type of facilities/resources NU can offer.

• 2 weeks later...

With a tip of the cap to @Cdog923

And now confirmation from KLIN:

Hildebrand: “Stivrins is coming back”

What has taken longer than many in Husker Nation had hoped has finally come out: All-American Lauren Stivrins is coming back for an extra season with Nebraska volleyball.

Jeremy Anderson, Sports Director at KCSR Radio, asked Associate Head Coach Tyler Hildebrand about a Stivrins return. Hildebrand then broke the news to about 25 attendees in Chadron during the Big Red Blitz Wednesday.

“Lauren Stivrins is coming back,” Hildebrand said.

BOOOOOOOOOO

• Plus1 1