Nebraska Governor's Race

27 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That, and Herbster is the pervster.  

I think lindstrom was just too normal.  Which, shouldn't be a thing....but unfortunately, it is.

I noticed last night a lot of people on Twitter were calling Lindstron a RINO, which I had forgotten what it meant, so looked it up. “Republican in name only.”

Which isn’t true. His track record is dominantly Republican.

The real problem is he’s not a whackadoodle Republican like Pillen/Pervster. He is ever so slightly more sensible, God forbid…

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I noticed last night a lot of people on Twitter were calling Lindstron a RINO, which I had forgotten what it meant, so looked it up. “Republican in name only.”

The real problem is he’s not a whackadoodle Republican like Pillen/Pervster. He is ever so slightly more sensible, God forbid…

Compared to Pillen, he's a moderate in a state that used to pride itself on being moderate. 

• Plus1 4
58 minutes ago, Enhance said:

I bet $10 it was because they mostly saw Pillen’s ads over others. Idk what the advertising spend was between candidates but on pure name awareness/recognition/visibility I’ve seen more Pillen ads than any other candidate.

Plebs gonna pleb.

Herbster put over $8 million of his own money in...and got beat :woo

• Plus1 2
48 minutes ago, Enhance said:

Anymore, RINO means you're not a whackadoodle Republican that kisses Trump's ring claiming voter fraud over and over, believing Democrats are the most evil people on earth.... and revolting against anything remotely normal.

• Plus1 3

38 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

Compared to Pillen, he's a moderate in a state that used to pride itself on being moderate. 

It is an interesting phenomenon. Most non-MAGA Republicans LOVE to tout themselves as moderate and yet they continue to elect more and more conservative leaders thus the party continues its listless drift to the right.

As a recent Nebraska expat now no longer seeing local coverage or ads, what is the third term of Ricketts expected to focus on? What is Pillen actually running on? I'm gonna put on my cynic hat andd guess it's the 4 F's of modern conservatism: faith, firearms, fetuses, and the flag, with a little bit of empty words about property tax mixed in.

I would expect another four years of doing very little but performative politicking with no substantial progress on anything that matters, the occasional dumbassery like turning down free federal only that could help the state, fear mongering the evils of the Devil's lettuce and continuing to wonder why young people leave the state en masse.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

It is an interesting phenomenon. Most non-MAGA Republicans LOVE to tout themselves as moderate and yet they continue to elect more and more conservative leaders thus the party continues its listless drift to the right.

As a recent Nebraska expat now no longer seeing local coverage or ads, what is the third term of Ricketts expected to focus on? What is Pillen actually running on? I'm gonna put on my cynic hat andd guess it's the 4 F's of modern conservatism: faith, firearms, fetuses, and the flag, with a little bit of empty words about property tax mixed in.

I would expect another four years of doing very little but performative politicking with no substantial progress on anything that matters, the occasional dumbassery like turning down free federal only that could help the state, fear mongering the evils of the Devil's lettuce and continuing to wonder why young people leave the state en masse.

Ricketts can't run again because of term limits.

Pillen started the campaign actually looking pretty normal.  Then, when Herbster was starting to gain ground, he went all MAGA in his adds talking about everything you mentioned.  He also gained popularity with farmers because he comes from agriculture.

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I imagine there will be a continued obsession with property taxes, and the ruiniation of the state legislature. 

• Plus1 1

Just now, Cdog923 said:

I imagine there will be a continued obsession with property taxes, and the ruiniation of the state legislature. 

Property taxes are a major problem in Nebraska.  But, the problem is simply that we are a big state with small population and no oil drilling like other states to pay the bills.

Everyone complains about property taxes and how they need to be reduced.  But, they don't want other taxes raised to make up for it.  So.....here we are.  It won't get fixed because there isn't a fix.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Property taxes are a major problem in Nebraska.  But, the problem is simply that we are a big state with small population and no oil drilling like other states to pay the bills.

Everyone complains about property taxes and how they need to be reduced.  But, they don't want other taxes raised to make up for it.  So.....here we are.  It won't get fixed because there isn't a fix.

And that's the rub; there are a couple real easy options to implement to mitigate this issue, but the Ricketts clan won't allow it. 

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

And that's the rub; there are a couple real easy options to implement to mitigate this issue, but the Ricketts clan won't allow it. 

Pot and gambling?

I'm not against legalizing either.  However, Colorado really hasn't seen anything improve with the budget since legalizing pot.  At least according to my BIL that lives there.

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ricketts can't run again because of term limits.

Pillen started the campaign actually looking pretty normal.  Then, when Herbster was starting to gain ground, he went all MAGA in his adds talking about everything you mentioned.  He also gained popularity with farmers because he comes from agriculture.

Yeah I know, I was being facetious since Pillen seems like the human thumbs handpicked successor. Needless to say I'm not a fan of the latter. 

I guess the silver lining is that I doubt he's a true MAGA guy so hr should revert to his former self now. The downside is then you're stuck with Ricketts politics again. :facepalm: