Nebraska Governor's Race

57 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Trump isn't allowing the GOP to move on

It's not just him, but the whole right-wing disinformation apparatus. 

Plus, those rural voters don't want to move on. They're much happier in their belief that they are oppressed. All TFG and right-wing media do is reinforce that.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

My observations match his, though. Nebraska conservatives were, for the most part, content with a live-and-let-live attitude... but that all changed when a Black man was elected president. The rumbling unease from the Clinton administration was assuaged to a degree with Bush's win over Gore, but when the country had the audacity to elect a Black man for president, conservatives here became eager consumers of right-wing propaganda. 

Hannity, Rush, Glenn Beck, et al. had been pounding away at them for over a decade at that point. 2008 was the tipping point for them. It saw the rise of the Tea Party and made fertile ground for growth of trumpian conservatism and later full-on Q conspiracists. 

I was mostly referring to the man in the Governor's mansion and how he's got his fingers seemingly everywhere in Nebraska politics, but this checks out too. 

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Trump was able to attract to the small-town, uneducated because he was able to touch on their fears of a more diverse and progressive country leaving the "small-town white folk" behind.  I have seen it first-hand in my wife's side of the family.  I have in-laws who hated Obama (probably just because he was a black man) and loved Trump because he was perceived to be a lot different than the previous regime.

It's sad that this point of view has continued to persist across Nebraska nearly 2 years after Trump lost the Presidency, but of course Trump isn't allowing the GOP to move on and wants to continue to push his agenda of absolute rule over the country.

One of the biggest things for those small towners...is that for the most part their life never changes.

Those towns, the small ones, are so isolated from the "real world"

s#!t, those people freaked the f#&% out when the state wrestling tournament moved from Lincoln to "The Big City" of Omaha.

36 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Everyone remember those 8,400 or so newly-registered Republican voters before the primary?

None of those registrations were made with the intent to vote for Herbster. 

Pillen's margin of victory was less than 8,000 votes. 

Not that it changes a ton, Herbster still got about 79,000 more votes than he should have.

But Pillen and Lindtrom, together, received almost 156,000 votes.  That is a lot of GOP votes that didn't go to the MAGA candidate.

• Plus1 3

On 5/12/2022 at 9:24 AM, BigRedBuster said:

No...and yes.

No....because it's always been a very Republican state.

Yes....because it's swung to the bat s#!t crazy side.  We went from a state that could elect John Kerry, Kay Orr, Ben Nelson...etc.  To a state that almost elected Herbster.  A guy who is full on MAGA Whacko.  The only reason he didn't get elected is because women came out claiming he molested them. STILL, he almost won.

Pillen is a wacko too. He's taking pretty much all of the talking points of Fox News, like the Critical Race Theory bulls#!t.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, DevoHusker said:

This is not how it is supposed to work. I'm starting to like ranked choice voting more and more.

This is why, any registered Dem in Nebraska should re-register republican and turn out as if the primary was the general. It is the only way to put a centrist back into the governor's seat in Nebraska. 

• Plus1 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
On 5/24/2022 at 10:19 AM, Born N Bled Red said:

This is why, any registered Dem in Nebraska should re-register republican and turn out as if the primary was the general. It is the only way to put a centrist back into the governor's seat in Nebraska. 

I don't see why the dem party in Nebraska doesn't actually pursue this.  Outside of Omaha, Lincoln and a few local races here and there it's a lost cause.  And those people could also run as Republicans, correct?

Just fold up shop and have everyone switch to GOP!

On 5/24/2022 at 11:19 AM, Born N Bled Red said:

I did this in 2020 in Ohio, there were so many crazies running for office (which is still the case) that my wife and I requested Republican ballots for the primaries to vote for the least insane. For the following two years, we received GOP propaganda in the mail every week, and when we Google our names, we show up as registered Republicans. It felt absolutely disgusting. We switched back to Dem for this year's primary because it was too gross. 

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I don't see why the dem party in Nebraska doesn't actually pursue this.  Outside of Omaha, Lincoln and a few local races here and there it's a lost cause.  And those people could also run as Republicans, correct?

Just fold up shop and have everyone switch to GOP!

I gave up this year. It did feel good to actually have my vote matter for once. I don't think I'll ever switch back, there is really no point in being a registered dem in my county. I think the less crazy R strategy is the new normal for me. 

3 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I gave up this year. It did feel good to actually have my vote matter for once. I don't think I'll ever switch back, there is really no point in being a registered dem in my county. I think the less crazy R strategy is the new normal for me. 

I switched in 2016.  If you can't beat 'em, join 'em...

And regarding all the spam and mailers, @Ulty: it's really fun to tell the person calling from the GOP what I truly think of many of their candidates.

• 1 month later...