Nebraska Governor's Race

9 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I used to sit in Iowa and think good god, what is Nebraska doing, Iowa was 10-15 years ahead of Nebraska in renewable energy, social policy, etc. Now I've moved back to Nebraska and think good good what is Nebraska doing, and Iowa, why in the heck are you now trying to out Nebraska, Nebraska?

I think I have found the answer... :ahhhhhhhh

:D

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, deedsker said:

And then Nebraska wonders why it can't keep kids here after college.

The pop has grown over the last 10 years and the 20-24 age range has gone up as well.  

I think what tends to happen to people who grew up here (I did not) is that they might leave, for a year or two, but they come back.

I work with a lady who has a really smart son that left and moved to Denver, basically to f#&% around, work and slay beaver, but she told me he has no intention of buying a house there, he is moving back to Omaha when he is ready to buy.

Omaha is right around a top 40 city in terms of population.  

The issue is once you get past Omaha and Lincoln, for the most part, the state is older, backwards, stubborn people.

• Plus1 1

Ok, I’ve got to step in here with the western Nebraska bashing.  

there is a large amount of the US that is the same or worse than western Nebraska. I work and visit a lot of these places. Western Nebraska has a lot of industry in small towns and innovation that has come from it. Now, maybe it’s not an industry YOU want to work in, but it’s here. 

A computer programmer from Silicon Valley might not want to live in Kearney, Holdredge, Broken Bow,  or Grand Island. Now you know what?  Lots of people that work there for companies like Baldwin Filters, Becton Dickinson, Lyndsay Irrigation, Hornaday, the Buckle....and many other industries outside Lincoln and omaha don’t want to live in omaha or Silicon Valley. 

I believe on a per capita basis, Western Nebraska holds their own. We have the busiest interstate and rail road crossing the country and there is a lot of industry along the way. One hell of a lot of the western Nebraska industry supports things in Lincoln and Omaha like UNL, Health Care, ConAgra, And Union Pacific. 

Our unemployment rate is close to being the lowest in the country. We have to be employing somebody somewhere. 

Not too long ago there was a conversation on here about how kids from western Nebraska are much more willing to commit to the Huskers than kids from omaha. Maybe we need to be thinking about where more of the support for our beloved Huskers comes from. 

You might even be reading this eating a big juicy steak or a frito lay corn chip. 

:boxosoap

And, admittedly I may have over reacted in my drunken stupor for which I do not apologize. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
12 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

there is a large amount of the US that is the same or worse than western Nebraska. I work and visit a lot of these places. Western Nebraska has a lot of industry in small towns and innovation that has come from it. Now, maybe it’s not an industry YOU want to work in, but it’s here. 

A computer programmer from Silicon Valley might not want to live in Kearney, Holdredge, Broken Bow,  or Grand Island. Now you know what?  Lots of people that work there for companies like Baldwin Filters, Becton Dickinson, Lyndsay Irrigation, Hornaday, the Buckle....and many other industries outside Lincoln and omaha don’t want to live in omaha or Silicon Valley. 

I believe on a per capita basis, Western Nebraska holds their own. We have the busiest interstate and rail road crossing the country and there is a lot of industry along the way. One hell of a lot of the western Nebraska industry supports things in Lincoln and Omaha like UNL, Health Care, ConAgra, And Union Pacific. 

Our unemployment rate is close to being the lowest in the country. We have to be employing somebody somewhere. 

Not too long ago there was a conversation on here about how kids from western Nebraska are much more willing to commit to the Huskers than kids from omaha. Maybe we need to be thinking about where more of the support for our beloved Huskers comes from. 

You might even be reading this eating a big juicy steak or a frito lay corn chip. 

And, admittedly I may have over reacted in my drunken stupor for which I do not apologize. 

Don't lie to us. There's only sugar beats, tumble weeds, and cows out there.

• Haha 2
15 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

LFG; I'll carry this flag with you. 

• Plus1 1

19 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

That was, quite literally, a question that a number of state senators put out on social media last week. 

BUT PROPERTY TAXES ARE TOO HIGH...

I would venture to guess 95% of people don’t know what they pay in property taxes. A good job in a low cost of living area solves lots of problems and Nebraska universities recruit a lot of talent from out of state. Nebraska is so close, yet so very far away.

• Fire 1
5 minutes ago, deedsker said:

BUT PROPERTY TAXES ARE TOO HIGH...

I would venture to guess 95% of people don’t know what they pay in property taxes. A good job in a low cost of living area solves lots of problems and Nebraska universities recruit a lot of talent from out of state. Nebraska is so close, yet so very far away.

Property taxes are too high.  Problem is, there really isn't a solution when you have a relatively large state with low population.  So, that's not going to change.

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Property taxes are too high.  Problem is, there really isn't a solution when you have a relatively large state with low population.  So, that's not going to change.

I think Cdog was referencing that Senators are trying to pigeon hole a narrative to a problem that is otherwise not linked in most of the general population. Property taxes are too high for business interests and farming. That is fine, but don't try and tell me that average people give a rip other than, "The government takes all my money." and don't know whether the percentage taken goes up, down, or stays the same in any given year. Most people who leave or go to another state probably don't look into individual property tax rates other than a generic cost of living readout from a major publication. I have read on financial website devoted to zealot level people about cost cutting measures moving to Nebraska without realizes property taxes were so high. They stayed because everything else was that much cheaper for a good job.

Nebraska has a hard time retaining young professionals to its' state. The topic in this thread and good jobs have is what drives that. 

52 minutes ago, deedsker said:

I think Cdog was referencing that Senators are trying to pigeon hole a narrative to a problem that is otherwise not linked in most of the general population. Property taxes are too high for business interests and farming. That is fine, but don't try and tell me that average people give a rip other than, "The government takes all my money." and don't know whether the percentage taken goes up, down, or stays the same in any given year. Most people who leave or go to another state probably don't look into individual property tax rates other than a generic cost of living readout from a major publication. I have read on financial website devoted to zealot level people about cost cutting measures moving to Nebraska without realizes property taxes were so high. They stayed because everything else was that much cheaper for a good job.

Nebraska has a hard time retaining young professionals to its' state. The topic in this thread and good jobs have is what drives that. 

I understand.  However, when hiring people from out of state to move here, property taxes are part of the cost of living comparison they do.  Anytime I hire someone like that, they look at the COL compared to salary.  So much else is cheaper and they think the COL is going to be so much lower.  But, in many cases, it's not because (in part) to property taxes.

My point is that this isn't going to change.  The state needs a certain amount of revenue to pay it's bills.  If they lower property taxes, something else needs to be increased.  

You mentioned that it's mostly business interests and farming.  And..to a certain extent, you are correct.  But, in the same thought process, you mention that people aren't staying in the state because of good jobs.  I work in economic development in my area.  Even though we have quite a bit of industry in our area, it is very hard to lure companies to locate here from another state because they look at the tax liability for being here.  

So, you want better/more jobs.  But, it's hard to lure them here because of the taxes.