Nebraska Governor's Race

16 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I understand.  However, when hiring people from out of state to move here, property taxes are part of the cost of living comparison they do.  Anytime I hire someone like that, they look at the COL compared to salary.  So much else is cheaper and they think the COL is going to be so much lower.  But, in many cases, it's not because (in part) to property taxes.

My point is that this isn't going to change.  The state needs a certain amount of revenue to pay it's bills.  If they lower property taxes, something else needs to be increased.  

You mentioned that it's mostly business interests and farming.  And..to a certain extent, you are correct.  But, in the same thought process, you mention that people aren't staying in the state because of good jobs.  I work in economic development in my area.  Even though we have quite a bit of industry in our area, it is very hard to lure companies to locate here from another state because they look at the tax liability for being here.  

So, you want better/more jobs.  But, it's hard to lure them here because of the taxes.

That is also fair. We obviously have many pieces overall to COL that make Nebraska attractive to workers. Despite the tax burden, Nebraska has one of the largest financial conglomerates in Omaha, a premier medical innovator in UNMC, and one of the fastest growing tech cities in the midwest with Lincoln. Cheap(er) land and capable individuals can do a lot.

I also don't know what tax breaks they got, but there sure a lot of data centers will to pay for land in Nebraska. If Senators want to actually reduce the burden on farmers and small business, I am all for it, but it does need to be a way to get those larger companies to contribute to the state.

11 minutes ago, deedsker said:

That is also fair. We obviously have many pieces overall to COL that make Nebraska attractive to workers. Despite the tax burden, Nebraska has one of the largest financial conglomerates in Omaha, a premier medical innovator in UNMC, and one of the fastest growing tech cities in the midwest with Lincoln. Cheap(er) land and capable individuals can do a lot.

I also don't know what tax breaks they got, but there sure a lot of data centers will to pay for land in Nebraska. If Senators want to actually reduce the burden on farmers and small business, I am all for it, but it does need to be a way to get those larger companies to contribute to the state.

I fully understand the frustration when a state gives a company tax breaks to locate here.  But, those companies contribute a lot more to a community than just the taxes they would be paying.

45 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I fully understand the frustration when a state gives a company tax breaks to locate here.  But, those companies contribute a lot more to a community than just the taxes they would be paying.

I find it to be more of a race to the bottom for large companies. They will find a way to wiggle out of their fair share.

• Plus1 1

Just now, deedsker said:

I find it to be more of a race to the bottom for large companies. They will find a way to wiggle out of their fair share.

That all depends on how the incentive is written up.  The well documented cases in the news where a large company screws the community, in large part, the fault lies with the people who wrote the incentive.  I've been on the side of the community and we have been able to take away the incentive when the company doesn't fulfill their promises.

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Officially a Republican so I can vote in the primary. Really have no interest in living in a state where Herbster is governor. 

Neither do I and there is no way in hell I'm voting for him.  Pillen is who I was always thinking I was going to vote for.  But, I haven't heard anything about him for a long time and all I see are Herbster advertisements.....that leave me sick to my stomach.

2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Officially a Republican so I can vote in the primary. Really have no interest in living in a state where Herbster is governor. 

You can vote in the primary as an Independent in Nebraska. You have more flexibility that way, too. You can request a neutral ballot, a Dem ballot or a Republican ballot. As a registered member of a party, that's the only ballot you get. 

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Neither do I and there is no way in hell I'm voting for him.  Pillen is who I was always thinking I was going to vote for.  But, I haven't heard anything about him for a long time and all I see are Herbster advertisements.....that leave me sick to my stomach.

Pillen isn't advertising out there much? His banners & billboards are all over Lincoln and Omaha.

Herbster, not so much. The only place I see his name is on the Trump barn on I-80.

13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Pillen isn't advertising out there much? His banners & billboards are all over Lincoln and Omaha.

Herbster, not so much. The only place I see his name is on the Trump barn on I-80.

I can't remember when I saw a PIllen advertisement last.  Back in September, a group had an event here in town for him.  But, the last couple months, I haven't seen much.

Herbster is constantly on TV ads.

13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You can vote in the primary as an Independent in Nebraska. You have more flexibility that way, too. You can request a neutral ballot, a Dem ballot or a Republican ballot. As a registered member of a party, that's the only ballot you get. 

There is a third option in Brett Lindstrom as well. I think he's trying to set himself up for a LT Gov gig, or appointment though.

Will the Dems have one of their own this time? Or do they plan on taking another failed, but somehow reasonable, Republican and throwing the "D" behind their name just to have someone on the ballot? 

Just now, Born N Bled Red said:

Will the Dems have one of their own this time? Or do they plan on taking another failed, but somehow reasonable, Republican and throwing the "D" behind their name just to have someone on the ballot? 

Didn't you say last week you're a Democrat? I would think they'd hit you up for fundraising if they're going to have a candidate this cycle.