Roxy’s Kitchen Chatter/Entrees

Roast Beef/Potatoes/Carrots & Gravy:

****If making mashed potatoes, I cook them separately on the stove!

I will only use a chuck roast when I make this.  

You can either put in a crockpot and cook it on low heat all day or bake it at 250 degrees all day.  I baked this in the oven the other day and the next day, I put the leftovers in the crockpot and heated it on low to have for dinner.  Either way, it will turn out tender.  

I will only use chuck roast.

Flour chuck roast on both sides; season with garlic salt and pepper.

Heat oil or olive oil in skillet.  

While the oil is heating up, peel potatoes; cut in half and wash in colander.

Put potatoes in roasting pan.  

Empty a bag of baby carrots in colander; wash.  Add to roasting pan.

Clean a carton of fresh sliced mushrooms; add to roasting pan.

Peel some garlic and slice some white onions; add to roasting pan.

Pour 3 cartons of Swanson’s Beef Broth over veggies.

Put rack on top of veggies.

Add floured chuck roast to skillet; lightly brown on both sides.

Put roast on rack.

Put some garlic on top.

Sprinkle one package Lipton Onion Beefy Soup Mix over Roast; flip and do the other side with another package of Lipton’s Beefy Onion Soup Mix.

Cover and bake in preheated 220 degree oven for several hours

***The  longer it bakes, the more tender it will be!  I probably baked it for 10 hours or so.

EDB8A504-1E13-4E09-A5C3-30DD435D7519.jpeg

I made pork chops, lima beans and stove top pork stuffing for dinner last night.  We get thin-cut pork chops at the meat market and they are better than the regular pork chops that are sold in grocery stores.  If you have a meat market where you live, try them sometime.

7A169963-43EF-405B-85F6-8173E642D55C.jpeg

This is the only recipe I will use to fry fish!  My mom used to fry fish using crackers and in my opinion, it’s the best way to fry fish.  I always soak fish in milk hours before frying-NOT Shrimp! Pic of shrimp is the on the bottom.

Cut Up Cod In Serving Pieces.

Put In Glass Baking Dish; Cover With Milk.

I made Alaska Cod the other night.  

Pictures of cod and when I made shrimp awhile back.

Shrimp/Alaskan Cod:

***I use my Presto Daddy Deep Fat Fryer to fry the shrimp and I use the electric skillet to fry other fish.

Heat Oil In Presto Daddy Deep Fat Fryer:

Ingredients:

Deli Shrimp-(However Many You Need)

2 Eggs, Beaten-(I Just Put The Eggs In A Bowl & Whisked Them)

1/2 Cup All-Purpose Flour

Pinch Of Salt

1/2 Tsp. Ground Black Pepper, Or To Taste

Garlic Salt, To Taste

Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning, To Taste 

Saltine Crackers, Crushed/(Eyeballed It)/Put In Ziplock Bag; Seal & Pound Using A Meat Tenderizer

Vegetable Oil

Lemon Wedges-(Opt.)

Sliced Green Onions-(Opt.)

1.  In a bowl, combine flour, garlic powder, Creole Seasoning, salt and pepper; stir,

2.  Crack the eggs in another bowl; whisk.

3.  Put crackers in a zip-loc bag and crush them.  I did it the easy way!  

4.  Put Saltine Crackers in a zip-loc bag; seal bag.  Take a meat tenderizer and pound the Saltine Crackers into very small pieces.

5.  Put the shrimp in the flour mixture, then dip them in eggs.

6.  Put fish/shrimp in zip-loc bag that has the crushed crackers;add some more Creole Seasoning; shake to coat.

7.  Put shrimp into preheated Fry Daddy, fry until light brown-(1-2 minutes.)

8.  Put shrimp on a paper towel-lined plate.

9.  Serve with Seafood Sauce, lemon wedges and sliced green onions.

92E5F06A-8B53-43DA-88C7-7D74B5D59A7E.jpeg

Mo’s Shrimp Fettuccini:

Mo is a very good friend of mine!  She is a fantastic cook!  She gave me her recipe!

This turned out great!

I doubled the recipe below.  I didn’t have enough Parmesan Cheese so I used some Shredded Mozzarella Cheese to make up the difference!  If you want spice, you can season the shrimp with Creole Seasoning/Cajun Seasoning/your favorite Seasoning or the Seasoning I will post here.  I Seasoned it with the spice posted below after I plated it!  If you make the sauce, start out with the amount of heavy cream listed and just add to it to get the thickness you want!  It all depends on how many shrimp you are using!  The sauce did thicken up in the refrigerator overnight, just so you know!  I liked it better that way!  Served cheese bread and salad with it.

Alfredo Sauce For Fettuccini Or Seafood Fettuccine:

1/2 Cup Butter

2 Cups Heavy Cream

1 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese Or Asiago Cheese

***I Used Part Parmesan & Mozzarella Cheese Because I Didn’t Have Enough Parmesan

1 Clove Garlic, Pressed

***I Just Dumped Some Christopher Ranch Minced Garlic In

Fresh Ground Black Pepper

Fresh Parsley

In a Dutch Oven, combine butter and heavy cream.  Simmer this for about 10 minutes, until nice and warm.  Add the Parmesan and garlic.  Simmer  this for 15-20 minutes on low until Cheese is melted and flavors have melded.

Remove from heat and use on cooked fettuccine or your favorite pasta.  Garnish with more Parmesan Cheese, fresh ground black pepper and parsley.  I sprinkled it with Parmesan Cheese from a can, parsley and seasoning that is mentioned below.

You can make seafood fettuccine by adding scallops and/or shrimp to the sauce when the cheese is melted and continue to cook on low until the seafood is done to your liking.  I just used fresh shrimp from Albertson’s! Don’t cook shrimp too long or it will get tough!

When seafood is done, pour this creamy sauce over fettuccine or your favorite pasta.  I used fettuccine.  Toss gently until all pasta is coated.  

After you plate it, garnish with more Parmesan, freshly ground black pepper and parsley.

I used Parmesan Cheese from a container, parsley and the seasoning below:

Mexican Seasoning Blend:

2 Tablespoons Ground Cumin

2 Tablespoons Chili Powder

2 Tablespoons Paprika

2 Tablespoons Dried Oregano

***I Used Dried Oregano Leaves Because That Is What I Had

1 Tablespoon Garlic Powder

2 Teaspoons Cayenne

Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container; refrigerate.

***I save empty seasoning shakers and use them to store homemade seasonings.

Use in tacos, fajitas, chili, or as a Mexican Flavored Rub for chicken, pork or beef.

Use this when you grill pork steaks, etc.

Pictures are of Seasoning and shrimp fettuccine!

F8479846-CCA6-4202-83BD-2B54FB2F04F2.jpeg

Hey @Roxy15 - I merged your 'pasta' thread with this 'entrees' thread.

Similar to the post I made in your "Vegetables" thread, I don't think we need different threads for various types of entrees. They should all be consolidated into one thread. Otherwise, one could argue that there could be threads for entrees: pasta, entrees: steak, entrees: chicken, entrees: tacos, etc., and that would just get a little out of hand.

Thanks!

• Plus1 2

Salsa de Chili Piquin-(Spicy)

On a comal, roast 2 Roma tomatoes-(1 large and 1 small)-and 1 tomatillo, and 12 Chili Piquins.

In a blender, add the chiles, a little diced up white onion, 1 garlic clove, a pinch of cilantro, salt and a little water; blend well. Then add the tomatoes and a little more water and salt-(if needed)-and blend it very good. 

***If you want it less spicy, just don't add as many chiles.

AC643FD9-02DD-4BD9-A6E9-A139C7A1C4E0.jpeg

Mexican Stuffed Shells:

Ingredients:

1 lb. Ground Beef

1-(1-1/4-oz.)-Pkg. Taco Seasoning

***Can Use Low Sodium)

1-(4-oz.)-Pkg. Cream Cheese

14-16 Large Pasta Shells

1 Cup Salsa

1 Cup Taco Sauce

***NOT ENCHILADA SAUCE

1 Cup Cheddar Cheese, Shredded

1 Cup Monterey Jack Cheese, Shredded

1-1/2 Cups Tortilla Chips, Crushed-(Opt.)

3 Green Onions, Chopped

1 Cup Sour Cream

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a frying pan, cook ground beef; add Taco Seasoning and prepare according to package directions. 

Add cream cheese, cover and simmer until cheese is melted. Blend well. Set aside and cool completely.

While the ground beef is cooking, cook the pasta shells according to directions; drain. 

Set shells out individually on baking sheet so that they don’t stick together.

Pour salsa on bottom of a 9×13-in. baking dish. 

Stuff each shell with the meat mixture placing shells in dish open side up. Cover shells with taco sauce. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.

After 30 minutes, add shredded cheese and bake for 10-15 more minutes, with the foil removed. Top with green onions and serve with sour cream and/or more salsa.

21ABB272-5B3E-4D90-BE3F-1E206B188E5F.jpeg

Roxy - I merged your 'Mexican' thread with the 'Entrees' thread. I realize Mexican food is its own type of cuisine, but I think we need to group things together in as few threads as possible. Otherwise, we could theoretically have a thread for Italian food, Chinese food, French food, Mexican, etc., and that's a bit extreme.

• Plus1 2

Cheese Bread/Marinara Sauce:

Cheese Bread:

For Fairy Dust:

In A Bowl, Mix:

1/4 Cup Parmesan Cheese

2 T. Garlic Powder

1 T. Oregano

1 T.  Onion Salt/Or To Taste

Put Fairy Dust in a shaker.

Slice French Bread into slices.

Butter both sides of bread with garlic butter and put on a cookie sheet.

***I just put softened butter from a tub in a bowl and mixed in some garlic powder.

Sprinkle the top of each slice of French Bread with Fresh Mozzarella, Shredded.

Using the shaker that you put the Fairy Dust in, sprinkle the top of each bread slice with the Fairy Dust.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Bake cheese bread until the cheese is melted on top.

I baked it for 10 minutes or so; we like the cheese to be a little brown on top.

This bread is better than you get at Pizza Hut!

Meat Marinara Sauce:

****This recipe comes from a good friend of mine and she is an excellent cook.  I cooked 2 lbs. of hamburger, drained it/cooked a pkg. of Hot Italian Sausage, sliced them and added it to the sauce, it made it spicy so use milder flavor if you don't like heat!  I added a little more garlic and onion, so if you make this, just use the amount that you want.  I made some fettuccini and served the sauce over it with cheese bread.

This sauce is great for pizza, manicotti, or any kind of pasta dish.  It can also be used as a pizza sauce.  If using as a pizza sauce, prepare as directed, but add to the recipe 1 Tsp. of Italian Seasoning.

***I DOUBLED THE MARINARA SAUCE RECIPE LISTED BELOW 

Marinara Sauce:

2 T.  Olive Oil

2 Garlic Cloves, Pressed

***I Used More/Minced It In Food Processor

1 Onion, Tennis Ball Sized, Chopped Fine

***I Used More, Chopped In Food Processor

1-(28-oz.)-Can Crushed Tomatoes

1-(5.5-oz.)-Can Tomato Paste

1-(14-oz.)-Can Tomato Sauce

1 T. Sugar

2 Tsp. Sweet Basil

**I Just Used Basil

1/2 Tsp. Salt

***I Used Less

1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper

***Used A Little More

1 Pkg. Sliced Fresh Mushrooms

Green Peppers, Cut Up-(To Taste)

In a 2 qt. saucepan over medium heat in oil,  cook garlic and onion until tender, about 5 minutes.  Be careful not to burn or the sauce will be bitter!  

I put the onion/garlic mixture into a  large stockpot since I doubled the recipe!

Stir in crushed tomatoes, their liquid, and remaining ingredients.  Reduce heat to low; cover; cook 20-30 minutes or until thickened; stirring occasionally. Be careful not to burn!  I cooked it for a longer period of time on low heat, stirring occasionally.  Be careful not to break up the meatballs!

I served it over fettuccini with cheese bread.  Add more Parmesan Cheese and hot pepper flakes if you want.  The hot Italian Sausage does make it hot.

***This recipe can be doubled!

***This sauce is great for any kind of pasta dish.  It can also be used as a pizza sauce.  If using as a pizza sauce, add to the recipe, 1 Tsp. Italian Seasoning!

52633727-FBD6-4E43-BB7E-74347D4EBD14.jpeg

Bacon/Eggs/Hashbrowns:

I saw this way to make eggs and decided to give it a try.  I prefer making them this way instead of frying them.  

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

Use a muffin tin and spray each cup with non-stick spray.  

***I have used butter before, but, I prefer non-stick spray.

Put how many eggs you want in a muffin cup.

Bake in preheated 425 degree oven until your desired doneness.

I check them at 6 minutes to see what the loo like.  I like my eggs a little soft.

Take the muffin tin out of the oven; take a spoon and gently go around the egg and remove it to serving plate. 

Season with salt and pepper.

These potatoes are my favorite!

2C7D7887-71FF-4E0C-87C5-691C1F33E9E9.jpeg

D985C8DE-9282-4D37-8488-CD9CCEE4863E.jpeg

Lasagna:

This turned out great!

I may add some sliced fresh sliced mushrooms to it and maybe put sliced pepperoni on top the next time I make it, other than that, I wouldn’t change a thing.

I baked it in a large glass baking dish with a cookie sheet under it to catch any drippings.  I baked it at 325 degrees for an hour, but, it could of been hotter, so I will either bake it longer the next time I make it or I will bake it at a higher temperature.  

I used a stockpot for this.

Ingredients:

3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Large White Onion, Chopped
1 Whole Bulb Garlic, Chopped In Small Pieces
***I Used More Than The Recipe Calls For
1-(1-lb.)-Pkg. Mild Italian Sausage, Cut In Slices
1-(lb.)-Pkg. Jimmy Dean Hot Sausage
1-(1.05- lbs.)-Lean Hamburger
1 Large Green Pepper, Chopped
2-(28-oz.)-Cans Crushed Tomatoes
1/4 Tsp. Dry Oregano
1/4 Tsp. Dry Basil
Garlic Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper, To 
Taste

Heat up a stockpot or large pan until medium hot.

Add Olive Oil, onion and chopped garlic.

Sauté until tender, about 5 minutes.

Add Italian Sausage, Jimmy Deans Hot Sausage and hamburger; break up pieces while cooking.

When the meat is done, drain grease 

Reduce heat to simmer and add 2-(28-oz.)-cans crushed tomatoes, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/4 teaspoon dry basil, garlic salt and ground black pepper, to taste and chopped green pepper. to taste 

Simmer, stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes.

While the meat sauce is simmering, make the cheese sauce.

In a large mixing bowl, add 1-(2-lb.)-container whole milk Ricotta Cheese, 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded, 1/2 cup Romano Cheese, grated, 1 T. fresh parsley, chopped, 1 T. fresh oregano, chopped, 1 egg, garlic salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste; mix well.

Bring a pot of water to a boil; add 1 T. Olive Oil and a dash of salt.

Add lasagna noodles and cook

according to pkg. directions.

When the noodles are done, drain and lay them flat on a piece of aluminum foil to keep their shape.

Spray a lasagna pan or baking dish with Pam.

Cover the bottom of the pan with meat sauce; spread it evenly.

Lay 3 lasagna noodles on top of the meat sauce.  

Spread cheese sauce over the noodles, just to cover-not all of it!  Spread evenly.

Repeat layers exactly with meat sauce, 3 lasagna noodles and cheese sauce.

End with a last layer of 3 lasagna noodles sand a layer of meat sauce.   No Cheese Sauce!

Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese over the top.  That will get it nice and brown/crusty and bubbly; spread evenly.

Coat a sheet of aluminum foil with Pam to prevent cheese from sticking.

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Bake until heated through, longer than an hour.  Or bake at a higher temperature.

When serving, sprinkle Parmesan Cheese on top.

***I let it rest for awhile before cutting.

79BE6BB1-112D-47AF-A80A-6DB9334243B4.jpeg

The Best New York Style Cheese Pizza:

Ingredients:

For The Crust:

3 And 3/4 Cups Bread Flour
1-1/4 Tsp. Sugar
1 Envelope Active Dry Yeast
2 Tsp. Kosher Salt
1-1/2 Cups Water-(110-115)-Degrees (F)
2 T. Olive Oil, Plus 2 Tsp.

For The Sauce:

3 T. Olive Oil
1/2 Cup Onion, Chopped 
2 Stalks Celery , Chopped
2 Garlic Cloves, Minced
1-(8-oz.)-Can Tomato Sauce
1-(6-oz.)-Can Tomato Paste
3 T. Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 Tsp. Dried Basil
1 Tsp. Dried Oregano
1-1/2 Tsp. Salt
1 Tsp. Sugar
1/2 Tsp. Black Pepper

For The Cheese:

8 oz.s Low-Moisture Mozzarella Cheese. Shredded Then Frozen

Instructions: 

For The Crust:

Combine the bread flour, sugar, yeast and salt in the bowl of a stand mixer; stir to combine.

Fit mixer with dough hook.

Turn mixer on low speed and add the water and 2 tablespoons of the oil; beat until the dough forms into a ball around the hook. If the dough is super sticky, add additional flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together in a solid ball. If the dough is too dry, add additional water, 1 tablespoon at a time.

Scrape the dough onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead into a smooth, firm ball.

Grease a large bowl with the remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil, add the dough, cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Place the bowl in a warm area and let it double in size, about 90 minutes.

Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and divide it into 2 equal pieces. Wrap one dough well in saran wrap and place in the freezer for a later use.

Place the dough you'll be using on a piece of plastic wrap and let it rest for 10 minutes.

For The Sauce:

In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-flame. Add the onion, celery and garlic and saute until soft; about 5 minutes. Add tomato sauce and tomato paste and stir until smooth.

Add remaining ingredients and bring to slow simmer. Simmer for 45 minutes. Remove from heat and allow sauce to cool.

Spread the sauce on pizza dough, as needed. 

For The Cheese:

Grate cheese, then place it in a large, clean bowl. Place bowl in the freezer for at least 20 minutes.

Assembly:

Preheat oven to 450 degrees (F).

Roll dough out to a large circle (about 12 inches). Pour a 1/4 cup of sauce in the center and spread it around evenly. Add cheese.

Place pizza in the oven to bake for 10-12 minutes, or until the crust is set and the cheese is bubbling. 

Cut into slices and serve at once!

EE90C5D8-3B36-409C-84E2-B0B6949A07AC.jpeg

Crock-pot Ravioli Casserole:

Ingredients:

1-1/2 lbs. Lean Ground Beef

1 Onion, Chopped

1 Clove Garlic, Minced

1-(15-oz.)-Can Tomato Sauce

1 Can Stewed Tomatoes

1 Tsp. Oregano

1 Tsp. Italian Seasoning

Salt/Pepper

10-oz.s Fresh Spinach

***Can Use Frozen Spinach

16-oz.s Bow Tie Pasta, Cooked

1/2 Cup Parmesan Cheese, Shredded

1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese, Shredded

***See Note!

Instructions

Brown ground beef with onion and garlic. Put in crock-pot and add sauce, tomatoes and seasonings. Cook for 6-7 hours on low.

Add the last 4 ingredients during the last 30 minutes of cooking and turn crock-pot to high.

***Note: I added the fresh spinach, pasta, parmesan and 1 cup of the mozzarella and I mixed it all up really well. Then I added the last 1/2 cup of mozzarella to melt on the top.

2D0DA891-B3C2-40AA-82CE-44A54CB7E089.jpeg

I made fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy and Lima Beans for dinner last night.  This fried chicken recipe is the only recipe I will use. It never fails me, so thought I would share it in case anyone would like to try it.

I use Whipping Cream, butter and salt and pepper for mashed potatoes and I use it to make gravy, if I have it on hand.

My Favorite Fried Chicken:

Use 7 chicken legs-(1/2 of a large pkg.)

In the morning, rinse the chicken legs in colander.

Put the chicken legs in a large bowl.

Cover the chicken legs with water; add some ice and some salt.

Refrigerate for several hours.

When ready to fry; add 2 eggs and 4 T. water to a bowl; whisk.

Using large Tupperware container, add 2 Cups Self Rising Flour, Garlic Salt, Pepper and some Seasoned Salt; stir.  

Add the chicken legs; shake.

Dip the chicken legs in the egg and water mixture, then back into the flour mixture in Tupperware container.  

Season the chicken legs with Garlic Salt. Pepper and some Seasoned Salt on both sides of the legs.  

Put lid on and shake again to coat.

Steps:

Flour/Egg/Flour

Let the chicken legs rest for 5 minutes or so; this helps the coating to stick better.

***I coated the chicken ahead of time/flour/egg/flour a few hours of cooking time and refrigerated it in the Tupperware container that had the coating ingredients and the chicken legs.  

Use an electric skillet! 

Heat 2 cups of oil in the electric skillet to desired temperature.

Check the oil by dropping in a little bit of flour; if it sizzles, add chicken legs; season some more while frying.

Fry until golden brown.

When it’s ready, put the legs on a paper towel- lined plate.

325DF7F3-EAB0-42E3-9F19-F03425D311E6.jpeg

ADCB81CA-7361-4194-B2A7-EDE07F668377.jpeg