Spring Game 2021 - The 3 Things You want to See/Learn

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

1) the return units or the coverage units? If we get a big return doesn't that mean the coverage was bad? Or great coverage and no return?

2) So poor deep defense?

3) So a defense that gives up redzone touchdowns?

My thoughts exactly.   I hope for an evenly matched game O vs D.  Some big plays and scores, but some good stops too.  If that happens, I’ll feel better about the O because we’re thinking the D is pretty good.   If the D dominates the whole game....not a good sign.  

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

My thoughts exactly.   I hope for an evenly matched game O vs D.  Some big plays and scores, but some good stops too.  If that happens, I’ll feel better about the O because we’re thinking the D is pretty good.   If the D dominates the whole game....not a good sign.  

That is true. Would really like to see the O have some success. Ideally I'd like to see some sign that Frost is making some adjustments in his play calling but that's really stretching what we could ascertain from a practice.

2 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

1) the return units or the coverage units? If we get a big return doesn't that mean the coverage was bad? Or great coverage and no return?

2) So poor deep defense?

3) So a defense that gives up redzone touchdowns?

Sorry but sort of serious...

I do agree that the offense needs to get more vertical, and/or a helluva lot better at horizontal. I won't believe it though until I see it in a real game.

Usually what you get out of spring games is some idea of individual talent and promising newcomers.   S. Shanle was a LB that popped out in a spring game years ago.    Casey Rogers is another guy that looked good in the spring game a couple of years ago.  On the flip side, Brian Knuckles is a guy that had a good game but disappeared after that. 

It's really tough to see my points in a spring game as they usual call a basic game and mix personnel or stage it so it's nothing but a showcase but the question was what do I want to see.    

I want to see the commitment to special teams and that means having them do real kickoffs, real punts & returns.  We probably won't because it's the spring game;  BUT that's what I WANT to see.  

I want to see the offense take some shots.  We didn't hardly take any last year.  I want to see the arm strength&accuracy of the various QB's.   They don't have to complete all of them but I want to see at least some completed.  I want to see the line protect, I want to see WR's that can highpoint the ball.   Yah I want the defense to hold it's own.  You can still have good coverage and have the offense execute some plays.  We should have a good defense so if the offense can make some plays I will be encouraged. 

Same with the run game.  I want to see the OL win some battles and the RB's hit some holes.  I am not worried about the defense but I want to see some grit from the offense in the run game. 

4 minutes ago, flatwaterfan said:

want to see the offense take some shots.  We didn't hardly take any last year.  I want to see the arm strength&accuracy of the various QB's.   They don't have to complete all of them but I want to see at least some completed.  I want to see the line protect, I want to see WR's that can highpoint the ball.   Yah I want the defense to hold it's own.  You can still have good coverage and have the offense execute some plays.  We should have a good defense so if the offense can make some plays I will be encouraged.

What would be nice to see are balls thrown accurately down field with good battles between the WRs and DBs with each winning some of the battles.