Spring Game 2021 - The 3 Things You want to See/Learn

3 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Do people really watch and analyze the Spring Game as a harbinger for future success and potential depth chart?  Other than Bobby Newcombe going 80 yards on the first play of the 1999 spring game, I can't remember when a Spring Game meant anything to the upcoming season.

To me, it's a fun way to cap off Spring practices, and gives a lot of young guys and walk-ons the opportunity to get on the field at Memorial Stadium and have some fun.

You must be new here.

Welcome!!!  It's a nice place.

• Haha 2

Linebackers, Inside, & Outside.  This D is potentially legit, but it needs dramatically improved LB play in all phases to take the next step.

Smothers - Lamar Jackson wouldn't impress anybody running 7 on 7's, but what does Smothers look like running the offense?  If his portion is live, I'm especially interested in seeing it.  

Who's next level at the LOS?  NU has a lot of young talent, guys like Ty Robinson, & Turner Corcoran.  Who's actually progressing from holding their own to dominating?  Who's getting off blocks and making tackles for loss, who's getting movement on the O-line & reaching the 2nd level?  

I'm sure Saturday will provide definitive answers as to exactly which and how many games the Huskers will win this season.

Seriously though, it's a practice, not even a true scrimmage. I'd like to see a RB emerge and some WRs do something. Problem with these things is, if offense or defense or any player looks specifically good, it also usually indicates the opposing team/player didn't do something well (not always). Not much to be taken away from playing yourself imo.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Do people really watch and analyze the Spring Game as a harbinger for future success and potential depth chart?  Other than Bobby Newcombe going 80 yards on the first play of the 1999 spring game, I can't remember when a Spring Game meant anything to the upcoming season.

To me, it's a fun way to cap off Spring practices, and gives a lot of young guys and walk-ons the opportunity to get on the field at Memorial Stadium and have some fun.

Even as a coach, we never take/took it all that seriously.  

3 hours ago, flatwaterfan said:

1)  Special Teams

2)  Can they successfully attack the defense deep.  (Want to see less horizontal and more vertical plays)

3)  Can they crank up the run game?  I want an offense that can score TD's in the redzone.

1) the return units or the coverage units? If we get a big return doesn't that mean the coverage was bad? Or great coverage and no return?

2) So poor deep defense?

3) So a defense that gives up redzone touchdowns?

Sorry but sort of serious...

I do agree that the offense needs to get more vertical, and/or a helluva lot better at horizontal. I won't believe it though until I see it in a real game.