Roxy’s Kitchen Chatter/Miscellaneous/Tips/Hacks

I haven’t tried this yet, but, I will!

Wow! Daphne Oz said that the reason you ‘cry’ when you chop onions, is that the chemical in the onion is attracted to the nearest source of water (which is usually the eyes). If you place a wet paper towel next to your chopping board, the onion will gravitate towards that, and not your eyes. It really works! No tears! 

6D1DEA91-FC7C-4622-9FDD-711211B8AB8C.jpeg

• Plus1 1
  • Roxy15 changed the title to Roxy’s Kitchen Chatter/Tips/Hacks

22 SIMPLE LIFE HACKS

✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴✴

1. Stuff a miniature marshmallow in the bottom of a sugar cone to prevent ice cream drips.
2. Use a meat baster to “squeeze” your pancake batter onto the hot griddle and you’ll get perfectly shaped pancakes every time...
3. To keep potatoes from budding, place an apple in the bag with the potatoes.
4. To prevent eggshells from cracking, add a pinch of salt to the water before hard-boiling.
5. Run your hands under cold water before pressing Rice Krispies treats in the pan and the marshmallow won’t stick to your fingers.
6. To get the most juice out of fresh lemons, bring them to room temperature and roll them under your palm against the kitchen counter before squeezing.
7. To easily remove burnt-on food from your skillet, simply add a drop or two of dish soap and enough water to cover the bottom of the pan, and bring to a boil on the stovetop.
8. Spray your Tupperware with nonstick cooking spray before pouring in tomato-based sauces and there won’t be any stains.
9. When a cake recipe calls for flouring the baking pan, use a bit of the dry cake mix instead and there won’t be any white mess on the outside of the cake.
10. If you accidentally over-salt a dish while it’s still cooking, drop in a peeled potato and it will absorb the excess salt for an instant “fix me up.”
11. Wrap celery in aluminum foil when putting in the refrigerator and it will keep for weeks.
13. Place a slice of apple in hardened brown sugar to soften it.
14. When boiling corn on the cob, add a pinch of sugar to help bring out the corn’s natural sweetness.
15. To determine whether an egg is fresh, immerse it in a pan of cool, salted water. If it sinks, it is fresh, but if it rises to the surface, throw it away.
16. Cure for headaches: Take a lime, cut it in half, and rub it on your forehead. The throbbing will go away.
17. Don’t throw out all that leftover wine: Freeze into ice cubes for future use in casseroles and sauces.
18. If you have a problem opening jars: Try using latex dishwashing gloves. They give a non-slip grip that makes opening jars easy.
19. Potatoes will take food stains off your fingers. Just slice and rub raw potato on the stains and rinse with water.
20. To get rid of itch from mosquito bites, try applying soap on the area and you will experience instant relief.
21. Ants, ants, ants everywhere … Well, they are said to never cross a chalk line. So get your chalk out and draw a line on the floor or wherever ants tend to march. See for yourself.
22. Now look at what you can do with Alka Seltzer. Clean a toilet. Drop-in two Alka-Seltzer tablets, wait twenty minutes, brush, and flush. The citric acid and effervescent action clean vitreous china. Clean a vase. To remove a stain from the bottom of a glass vase or cruet, fill with water and drop in two Alka-Seltzer tablets. Polish jewelry. Drop two Alka-Seltzer tablets into a glass of water and immerse the jewelry for two minutes. Clean a thermos bottle. Fill the bottle with water, drop in four Alka-Seltzer tablets, and let soak for an hour (or longer, if necessary). Unclog a drain. Clear the sink drain by dropping three Alka-Seltzer tablets down the drain followed by a cup of Heinz White Vinegar. Wait a few minutes, then run the hot water.

I saw this on a site and I tried it and it works!  I have a mason jar, but, I couldn’t find the lid so I grabbed a Kraft Parmesan Shaker and took the lid off and put it on the mason jar to see if it would fit and it did!  

I love mason jars and I keep empty seasoning shakers so when I make seasonings, I can put them in the shakers.

I am like my dad used to be...he always said “Roxy, don’t throw it away because you never know when you’ll need it sometime smiles.”

Thx dad!  I love you and miss you!

A5D89996-4CF4-42A5-96C2-A446C4CBDE80.jpeg

• Plus1 1

I use jars and empty seasoning shakers to make homemade sauces/dressings/seasonings etc.

I Put Labels On Them!

Taco Seasoning;

1/2 Cup Chili Powder

1/4 Cup Onion Powder

1/8 Cup Ground Cumin

1 T. Garlic Powder

1 T. Paprika

1 T. Sea Salt

Put all ingredients into a jar and shake.

2FFE4B4C-D49F-48FF-9052-8F63B9C574F1.png

Fairy Dust:

***I was a manager at Pizza Hut and this is how they make it!  I had to cut down the amount!  I put it on Cheesebread/Garlic Bread/Sauces.

1/2 Cup Kraft Grated Parmesan Cheese-(In Shaker)

4 T. Garlic Powder

2 T. Oregano Leaves

1 T. Onion Salt

Put all of the ingredients in a bowl; stir.

Put an aluminum pie pan in counter; put bowl in pan.  

***This is to keep your counter clean when putting the Fairy Dust in the shaker spice container.

Using an empty spice container-(use a container that when you lift up the lid, there is a top with holes in it)-put the spice container in the aluminum pan.  

Spoon the Fairy Dust that’s in the bowl into the shaker spice container.

E9414B6D-D4E4-432F-AC1D-B1F823BD8D9F.jpeg

• Enhance changed the title to Roxy’s Kitchen Chatter/Miscellaneous/Tips/Hacks

Hey Roxy - similar to a few other Chatter threads, I merged your "miscellaneous" thread together with this "tips/hacks" thread and I updated the thread title to be more inclusive of all those items. I think there's potential for crossover between the high levels concepts of 'miscellaneous', 'tips' and 'hacks.' So, it makes sense to combine these threads for consolidation purposes and to limit the potential for duplication/confusion. Thanks!

One of the best baking tips ever... I have done this Many times.. If you need to soften butter quickly but don't want to melt it.... Put boiling hot water in a glass to heat the glass. Dump the water out and flip it over your stick of butter. In a few minutes it will be softy soft to use.

B0192992-ED7F-4F00-9A0E-5A2ED5AFA03F.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I always set an aluminum pan in the counter when I fill empty spice jars, peel potatoes etc.  I put the empty spice jars in the aluminum pan to fill them, it keeps the spices from going on the counter.  

When I peel potatoes, I put the peels in the aluminum pie pan so all I have to do when I am done, is dump the peels in the trash can.  I don’t want a trash can by me when I am working in the kitchen.

I use the red container to put flour and seasonings in when I fry chicken and other meats.  All I have to do is put the stuff in and shake it.  I got it from Tupperware.

I cleaned my kitchen cupboards today and I put the spices on a cookie sheet so when I need them, I don’t have to move them all around in the cupboard.  I can just take out the cookie sheet and they stay organized that way.

8D0B3204-47B2-4D9F-9F3D-A5322D07D70D.jpeg

F1275EE0-F46B-4DCB-BB99-0518B332F7F1.jpeg

CFACCAC9-E069-4FCF-A6A9-161407154B29.jpeg

I just found this so I haven’t tried it.

Ok you guys this really is the best stuff! Works on every stain I've tried it on!

The ultimate stain remover that actually works on a seriously set in stain! Never buy oxyclean again!

The mixture is:

1 tsp. Dawn dishwashing detergent
3-4 tablespoons of hydrogen peroxide
couple tablespoons of baking soda.
Scrub on with a scrubbing brush.

880DA965-2B87-473D-B48B-B2F3C020161C.jpeg

This tip is from a chef who is a friend of mine on a recipe forum that I belong to 

This is what she said:

It has been my experience to freeze breaded foods and not refrigerate ahead of time. The breading could fall off if just refrigerated. A chef friend taught me this.