Spring Game Highlights

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Just want to point out that this was a very nicely thrown 50 yard pass. 

Im still very surprised Manning didn’t catch this. I bet he’s still mad at himself.  

I think this highlights the problems with last year. It isn't like AM forgot how to throw the deep ball, there just wasn't anybody who could get open enough to try and give it a shot. 

That ball was beautiful and well placed.

• Plus1 6

8 minutes ago, deedsker said:

I think this highlights the problems with last year. It isn't like AM forgot how to throw the deep ball, there just wasn't anybody who could get open enough to try and give it a shot. 

That ball was beautiful and well placed.

Yes, that and running the right routes.  Now, he didn't do this against our #1 Defense.  Hopefully he can in the fall against better talent.

That deep ball was under thrown. Manning had to slow down and then because the DB was able to recover, Manning tried catching and running too soon, thus not looking the ball in and dropping it. 

It was a great a pass which should have been caught. It would have been a perfect pass had he lead him. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, deedsker said:

Nah man, it's that idiot Verduzco jinxing Martinez and making him not be able to do anything he could do as a freshman, and also Frost needs to realize that his offense doesn't work in the Big Ten and stuff!

:sarcasm

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

That deep ball was under thrown. Manning had to slow down and then because the DB was able to recover, Manning tried catching and running too soon, thus not looking the ball in and dropping it. 

It was a great a pass which should have been caught. It would have been a perfect pass had he lead him. 

Was that throw with or against the wind? With the wind that's underthrown but into the wind that's some really impressive stuff.

7 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Was that throw with or against the wind? With the wind that's underthrown but into the wind that's some really impressive stuff.

The deep pass to Manning was with the wind.  I knew people would complain that it was "underthrown".  It might have been underthrown by a couple yards, but I think it's harder to throw deep passes with the wind as it's easier for the ball to sail on the QB and overthrow the receiver.  That pass was as pretty accurate as a pass can be going 40-50 yards in the air.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Savage Husker said:

The ball went 50 yards in the air and it was slightly under thrown.  Manning didn't have to stop, he didn't have to slow enough that the DB caught up to him.  The DB got there after the ball.

It was a good throw even if it was with the wind.

• Plus1 5

I admitted that it was a great pass that should have been caught and you are also agreeing with me that it was slightly under thrown, which does allow a DB to recover. My fault for not making it clear, my critique was of Manning who didn’t look the ball in.

No, the DB didn’t break the pass up - the ball admittedly under thrown - but created urgency on Manning to rush himself into dropping the ball.

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The ball went 50 yards in the air and it was slightly under thrown.  Manning didn't have to stop, he didn't have to slow enough that the WR caught up to him.  The DB got there after the ball.

It was a good throw even if it was with the wind.

The first rule when your receiver is that open is to give them a chance.  If you underthrow them by a couple yards at least they still have a chance to catch it and even if they get tackled right away you still have a big play.

If you overthrow it by a couple yards you have nothing.

• Plus1 7

Just now, Mavric said:

The first rule when your receiver is that open is to give them a chance.  If you underthrow them by a couple yards at least they still have a chance to catch it and even if they get tackled right away you still have a big play.

If you overthrow it by a couple yards you have nothing.

^ This!  Plus, with Manning's size and athleticism, he's going to win his share of 50-50 balls.  The better pass is to be slightly underthrown and slightly overthrown.  The ball hit Manning in his hands and should have been caught.  If Manning is open like this 1 or 2 times a game, I like my chances to convert on those long passes.

28 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The deep pass to Manning was with the wind.  I knew people would complain that it was "underthrown".  It might have been underthrown by a couple yards, but I think it's harder to throw deep passes with the wind as it's easier for the ball to sail on the QB and overthrow the receiver.  That pass was as pretty accurate as a pass can be going 40-50 yards in the air.

Yeah I wasn't trying to roast him or anything; it was a good throw. Zach Wilson just went No. 2 in the NFL draft and underthrew stuff to ball-winners all the time. Sometimes it's an effective strategy.

Considering the wind I thought he had a pretty great day throwing the ball. That out route from the opposite hash to Martin was some NFL stuff.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Yeah I wasn't trying to roast him or anything; it was a good throw. Zach Wilson just went No. 2 in the NFL draft and underthrew stuff to ball-winners all the time. Sometimes it's an effective strategy.

Considering the wind I thought he had a pretty great day throwing the ball. That out route from the opposite hash to Martin was some NFL stuff.

We'll never know.  But, there's a chance that the wind made it a harder ball to catch if a gust happened just then and adjusted the ball flight.

Still, should have been caught and I'm sure Manning agrees.

2 hours ago, J-MAGIC said:

Joe Burrow and Ian Book have made a career of throwing the ball up and letting your WRs make the play.

Which is, of course, a lot easier to do when you're throwing to Justin Jefferson, Ja'Marr Chase, Chase Claypool and the like.

• Plus1 1