Bowman injured

:boxosoap, well it is time for the blakshirts to step up and show that they are bigger than one player and it is time for the offense to step up and win a few games. Take the pressure off of the defense and scor some points.

Lesson to beck, in the game of football you are one play away from having your role changed dramaticly. I feel bad for bowman, and wish him all the best.

I'm bummed Bowman is gone this year... but remember- we lost Mike Minter for 98% of '94... and still won a NC.

And in '07, Bowman will be like coach on the field. Or at leats he should be, because he'll know the playbook even better.

That 94 team had a LOT more talent and depth than this team...

That 94 team had a LOT more talent and depth than this team...

I don't like comparing teams, but I think people may be surprised that we have just as much if not more depth than the 94 Defense. We may not have the star power across the field to match up with that defense but the depth I think we can match.

The coaches sound optimistic about replacing Bowman. I guess that's reassuring. Hopefully it will work out and the staff can get the Beck "thing" taken care of.

Link

Lincoln - The Nebraska football team received a break from the heat for their half-pad two-and-a-half hour practice as they were forced inside the Hawks Championship indoor practice center due to lightning for day four of fall training camp.

After going through warm-ups and stretching on the Ed and Joyanne Gass practice fields, the team relocated to the Hawks Championship Center, where they broke up for position drills.

Cornerbacks Coach Phil Elmassion led yet another day of animated one-on-one drills despite the loss of senior cornerback Zack Bowman to an ACL injury sustained in Saturday’s practice. Head Coach Bill Callahan directly addressed the unfortunate loss, but with optimism that Bowman will take a medical redshirt year and return for his senior season.

“First off, we need to announce that we have lost (senior cornerback) Zack Bowman for the season,” Callahan said. “He sustained an ACL injury yesterday in practice. He’s a great kid, and I spoke with him this morning and he’s really disappointed. Just visiting with him, he wants to come back for another year, and that’s tremendous. It’s a tremendous loss for our team, but other guys are stepping up and doing a good job, and he’ll be there to help them out and support them, and that’s great.

Callahan additionally specifically noted when Bowman’s injury took place.

“(The injury happened) during one-on-one (action), which takes place during the nine-on-seven (drills),” Callahan said. “He was defending a corner route, he went up for it, he extended and elevated, and he came down planting his foot, and it looked like a hyperextension, but he hurt his ACL.”

Despite, the loss Callahan expressed confidence in the team’s pool of defensive back-ups for the team to call on. Junior-college transfer Andre Jones has excelled early in fall camp, while true freshmen Anthony West and Major Culbert have been working at safety, but also have the ability to play cornerback. Juniors Titus Brothers and Bryan Wilson have limited game experience, but could also figure into the cornerback mix.

Defensive coordinator Kevin Cosgrove additionally seemed confident at the defensive resources that they will have throughout fall camp and into the season.

“Despite what happened, we really had a good day. Guys were really moving around, and I was pretty impressed,” Cosgrove said. “We’ll figure it out. We’ve got to continue to evaluate, continue to coach, and continue to look at all the guys. We’ll see the speed of the game a little better when we get the pads on, because guys tend to avoid each other a little more when they don’t have the pads on.”

Cosgrove also specifically pointed out the team’s most veteran corner cornerback in junior Cortney Grixby, who he will rely on not only to step up but also to help develop the younger talents at the position.

“He’s been looking really good through four practices,” Cosgrove said. “He’s a tremendous competitor, and he just gets better every year. We look for big things from him this year. He is going to help all the guys out as a veteran. When they’re on the sideline and he’s got a young guy next to him, he’ll take that young guy and coach him and make him better.”

Callahan additionally addressed sophomore quarterback Harrison Beck’s absence at Saturday’s practice.

“I haven’t spoken with (Harrison Beck), but I did speak with his father,” Callahan said. “I visited with him, and other than that Harrison is ok. I’m anxious for him to return, if he comes back. I’d like to visit with him, and I’m looking forward to that. I’m hopeful that he makes the decision to come back. We’re just doing the best we can.

The Huskers return to the practice field on Monday afternoon and will be in full pads for the first time during camp.

This sux! The good thing for Bowman, if there is such a thing, is he can come back next year if he gets a medical redshirt (which, I don't see why he won't) Andre Jones is a JUCO with lots of playing time and has impressed the coaches from day one. I think he'll step in and do just fine in Bowman's place. And imagine our secondary next year with Bowman, Jones and Grixby out there.

Get well Zach!! We'll miss ya this year but look forward to seeing you dominate next year! :cheers