Huskers to Release Spring 2021 Testing Numbers

13 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Phalen Sanford needs to be on the field somewhere this fall.  Maybe it’s as a special teams beast, but that athleticism cannot ride the pine.  

Serious question here, while his numbers are impressive,  is that simply an impressive feat by this kid alone or is this an indictment of where the rest of the roster still is? I notice 4 walk ons in the top ten list and only a couple of offensive players.  Lots of defensive guys which seems to line up exactly with how the team looked last year.

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Serious question here, while his numbers are impressive,  is that simply an impressive feat by this kid alone or is this an indictment of where the rest of the roster still is? I notice 4 walk ons in the top ten list and only a couple of offensive players.  Lots of defensive guys which seems to line up exactly with how the team looked last year.

Are your four walk-ons Sanford, Martin, Reimer and Gifford?  Martin was a four-star recruit.  The part that we got him as a walk-on has nothing to do with his lack of athletic ability.  Reimer and Gifford were both recruited heavily by this staff but they were able to convince them to come into the program as walk-ons with the promise of getting a scholarship after they got here to be able to give scholarship offers to other players we were trying to get from farther away.  Sanford is really the only guy who is a traditional walk-on.  And he is a college heptathlete.  

• Plus1 1
Just now, Mavric said:

Are your four walk-ons Sanford, Martin, Reimer and Gifford?  Martin was a four-star recruit.  The part that we got him as a walk-on has nothing to do with his lack of athletic ability.  Reimer and Gifford were both recruited heavily by this staff but they were able to convince them to come into the program as walk-ons with the promise of getting a scholarship after they got here to be able to give scholarship offers to other players we were trying to get from farther away.  Sanford is really the only guy who is a traditional walk-on.  And he is a college heptathlete.  

Jackson too, I had included Reimer and left off Gifford.  Good explanation about the rest.  I guess my observation here would be more about the number of defensive players versus offensive, but that trends towards which side of the ball is ahead right now I suppose.  Athletic ability doesn't specifically correlate to football performance of course but it surely won't hurt.

25 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Jackson too, I had included Reimer and left off Gifford.  Good explanation about the rest.  I guess my observation here would be more about the number of defensive players versus offensive, but that trends towards which side of the ball is ahead right now I suppose.  Athletic ability doesn't specifically correlate to football performance of course but it surely won't hurt.

It's a fair question I guess.  To me, it looks like the guys who have been in the S&C program for 3+ years are the guys who are at the top of the list.  Williams, CTB, Martin & Kolarevic (not here but college overall), Domann, Jurgens, Reimer and Jackson all fit that description.  Only Sanford and Gifford lead the list and haven't been in college that long.  The only offensive skill guys who fit that description are Martinez, Toure and (kind of) Manning.  Martinez is on  the list.  And tall WRs don't usually score well in squats and pro agility runs.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, runningblind said:

I wouldn't be surprised if during the 90s run the defensive side of the ball had many of the best athletes as well.

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, lo country said:

Sanford seems to have had quite the career in HS with football/track. State champion in track.  Be interesting to see if he can get on the field in some capacity.  I know folks mention ST, but his scores are pretty legit.....

Sanford clearly has the size/speed/strength, if anything holds him back it will be fluidity. I don't know whether he has it or not, but it doesn't matter how fast you are as a corner if you can't stick with a receiver when they cut. I'm a lot more hopeful he can contribute after seeing his testing numbers, but corner is tough.

Special Teams on the other hand, he's strong enough to get through jams and fast enough to get down the field. Sign him up!