Huskers to Release Spring 2021 Testing Numbers

On 5/15/2021 at 10:37 AM, Decked said:

Remember when Kolarevic was a crappy FCS player and we didn’t need him? Pepperidge farms remembers 

It would be much more interesting to see how these #'s would stack up against test results of a higher level program, since that's sort of the point.  These #'s and rankings are all within a single program that hasn't had a winning season in a while...  Being the best athlete on the proverbial short bus is great, but it's still the short bus.

If Kolarevic is top 5 on Nebraska's metrics, but wouldn't crack the top 50 for tOSU's, it says a lot more about Nebraska than it does Kolarevic.  

Also keep in mind that this is a football team that plays football instead of a CrossFit team that competes at exercise.  

• Plus1 3

Measureables are great and those metrics can help in determining straight line speed and explosiveness. Unfortunately football speed and straight line speed are two different things. Ive seen and coached several promising kids with excellent straight line speed, but ended up not being very good players as they advanced up the ladder. Opposite was true for several average or above average speed guys- who did very well. Early on their coaches would kind of poo poo my hype on those slower guys because they lacked great measureables, but they were very good football players. In the end, that would always come out and invariably their coaches would be embarrassed of their initial assessment. Hard to measure toughness, ability to change direction without slowing down- body control and leverage. 

Back in the 80s and early 90s NU would always have some guys with out of the park measureables that the fans would always be looking for. Behind the scenes coaches said "looks like Tarzan plays like Jane"  Dont get over excited about some gym stud until he puts good play on film. 

• Plus1 1
On 5/17/2021 at 9:15 AM, Nebraska55fan said:

Measureables are great and those metrics can help in determining straight line speed and explosiveness. Unfortunately football speed and straight line speed are two different things. Ive seen and coached several promising kids with excellent straight line speed, but ended up not being very good players as they advanced up the ladder. Opposite was true for several average or above average speed guys- who did very well. Early on their coaches would kind of poo poo my hype on those slower guys because they lacked great measureables, but they were very good football players. In the end, that would always come out and invariably their coaches would be embarrassed of their initial assessment. Hard to measure toughness, ability to change direction without slowing down- body control and leverage. 

Back in the 80s and early 90s NU would always have some guys with out of the park measureables that the fans would always be looking for. Behind the scenes coaches said "looks like Tarzan plays like Jane"  Dont get over excited about some gym stud until he puts good play on film. 

While there is some merit with the bolded, there are also a lot of other factors involved.  I'm from Benkelman.  I know the Sanford kid and his family.  He has a lot going for him in terms of work ethic (he's a workout warrior) and intelligence.  Unfortunately, he may never play much.  First of all, I think a lot of people don't really understand the jump from 8 man high school football out here in the middle of podunk and 11 man D1 big boy football.  He has a lot of catching up to do in terms of skill and development.  He has great speed, but I'm not sure he has the swiveling hips so to speak to play corner.  At his size, the only logical position is safety.  Another thing to consider when you see someone from this end of the state from a small school go to Lincoln is just how much can one's body take.  There are not a lot of great athletes out here.  When a school gets one, they pretty much ride this horse to death.  One of his best events in track was pole vault.  Because of a messed up shoulder, I don't even think he got to compete in this event his junior or senior year in high school.  I believe he had a surgery or two after he completed high school which kept him from playing football his freshman year at Hastings College.  We're all rooting for him and hope he's the exception rather than the rule.  

I've seen some great athletes from around here go to Lincoln only to never play.  We sent an outstanding prospect back in 98'.  In fact, it was his school records that Sanford broke.  The biggest difference between the two was this kid was 6'3 and weighed 250.  His junior year I believe he finished third in the strength and conditioning tests.  His senior year I believe he finished first and had the fastest 10 yard dash time on the team.  The only time I remember him playing was the 2000 season when he was a redshirt sophomore.  He played special teams until after the Notre Dame game.  After Notre Dame scored on both a kickoff return and a punt return, I don't remember his ever seeing the field again.  A guy I knew who finished his career at Nebraska on the 87' team once told me that just about everyone that is on the team whether they're scholarship players or walk-ons have a window of opportunity.  He said it's just some players window is much smaller than others.  An injury here or a mess up there can lead to one never seeing the field again. 

At the end of the day, I haven't figured out if it's impressive or scary that a kid from southwest Nebraska that played  8 man class D football is one of if not the best athlete in terms of the strength and conditioning tests on the team.     

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, junior4949 said:

At the end of the day, I haven't figured out if it's impressive or scary that a kid from southwest Nebraska that played  8 man class D football is one of if not the best athlete in terms of the strength and conditioning tests on the team.     

This is the $1,000,000 question.

Maybe we should ask Pepperidge farm.  What do you think @Decked?

26 minutes ago, 307husker said:

I dont think it necessarily think it is a bad thing. It is interesting for sure though.  Pair that with a FCS LB transfer is another top athlete on the team and you will realize that there are a lot of quality athletes out there despite the star ranking. Our old RB just put up 300 yards in the FCS National Title game as a True Freshman.  Dude is a stud, just didnt have a ton of offers.  Our old 3rd string RB has an offer from Alabama.  He didnt start on JV.  

1 hour ago, 307husker said:

I see a lot of starters and guys on the two deep. A lot of these metrics were pretty good. I’d be curious to see how the rest of the team stacks up. 

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, junior4949 said:

This made me wonder.  So I looked it up.  Turns out there are a LOT of kids playing 8-man football in Nebr.  (Granted, larger schools (class A) have much larger teams than smaller schools (e.g., D1, D2, 8-man).  That, and the average class A player is a lot better than the average 8-man player.  Still, the numbers: 

There are 109 8-man FB teams in Nebr.  By comparison: A=31 teams; B=25; C1=43; C2=32; D1=52; D2=57. link

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, NUance said:

This made me wonder.  So I looked it up.  Turns out there are a LOT of kids playing 8-man football in Nebr.  (Granted, larger schools (class A) have much larger teams than smaller schools (e.g., D1, D2, 8-man).  That, and the average class A player is a lot better than the average 8-man player.  Still, the numbers: 

There are 109 8-man FB teams in Nebr.  By comparison: A=31 teams; B=25; C1=43; C2=32; D1=52; D2=57. link

The difference many of the Class A teams have Frosh- JV- Varsity teams- way more players than 8- man teams which may be just 14-24 kids for their entire program etc. Also Class A communities have all the select teams, speed camps/training and just better competition. Takes a real special player from 8 man to play BIG football. Love watching it though. 

5 hours ago, junior4949 said:

While there is some merit with the bolded, there are also a lot of other factors involved.  I'm from Benkelman.  I know the Sanford kid and his family.  He has a lot going for him in terms of work ethic (he's a workout warrior) and intelligence.  Unfortunately, he may never play much.  First of all, I think a lot of people don't really understand the jump from 8 man high school football out here in the middle of podunk and 11 man D1 big boy football.  He has a lot of catching up to do in terms of skill and development.  He has great speed, but I'm not sure he has the swiveling hips so to speak to play corner.  At his size, the only logical position is safety.  Another thing to consider when you see someone from this end of the state from a small school go to Lincoln is just how much can one's body take.  There are not a lot of great athletes out here.  When a school gets one, they pretty much ride this horse to death.  One of his best events in track was pole vault.  Because of a messed up shoulder, I don't even think he got to compete in this event his junior or senior year in high school.  I believe he had a surgery or two after he completed high school which kept him from playing football his freshman year at Hastings College.  We're all rooting for him and hope he's the exception rather than the rule.  

I've seen some great athletes from around here go to Lincoln only to never play.  We sent an outstanding prospect back in 98'.  In fact, it was his school records that Sanford broke.  The biggest difference between the two was this kid was 6'3 and weighed 250.  His junior year I believe he finished third in the strength and conditioning tests.  His senior year I believe he finished first and had the fastest 10 yard dash time on the team.  The only time I remember him playing was the 2000 season when he was a redshirt sophomore.  He played special teams until after the Notre Dame game.  After Notre Dame scored on both a kickoff return and a punt return, I don't remember his ever seeing the field again.  A guy I knew who finished his career at Nebraska on the 87' team once told me that just about everyone that is on the team whether they're scholarship players or walk-ons have a window of opportunity.  He said it's just some players window is much smaller than others.  An injury here or a mess up there can lead to one never seeing the field again. 

Interesting.  Sounds like a great athlete.  He's def doing the right things so far.  And the stage doesn't seem to big for him.  So I wish him success regarding future PT opportunities. 

Thanks for sharing, appreciate it @junior4949