Thunderin' Bolts vs. Northwestern (The Battle for NU, Hardball Edition)

How will Nebraska fare?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. How will Nebraska fare?

• 3-0
    • 2-1
    • 1-2
    • 0-3

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/15/2021 at 12:25 AM

23 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

For what it's worth, when Wisconsin Volleyball in the middle of their B1G championship hunt, their games against Northwestern were ruled forfeits. I wonder if that's cause their AD is well connected in the league office? Fact is NW could probably pitch a couple relievers on 1 day rest or back to back - and I'm sure they have 3-4 position players that can give them 1-2 innings a piece.   If little league and HS teams can do it, NW can certainly do it.

OK I'm almost done. But if Purdue football ran out of QBs due to injuries and said - yo we got a team in Columbus but can't play you Ohio State because we have no QBs left. They would be told, well play a WR at QB or take a loss. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

Looking like our huskers will have gained a 1/2 game on the lead by end of weekend play. Michigan now with a 5 run lead over indiana going into the top of the 9th. Nebraska will enter the final pod set with a 1 game lead in the conference standings. I'll take that and every day and twice on Sunday :)

• Plus1 1

IMO, Northwestern having COVID issues and having a game canceled is comparable to having a game canceled due to weather.  I know a lot of people on here don't agree with me, but the COVID issues are due to how weird and unpredictable COVID is, just like the weather can be.  While it would be great for all of these student-athletes to get the vaccine, it's not something that can be forced upon them.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Loebarth said:

Looking like our huskers will have gained a 1/2 game on the lead by end of weekend play. Michigan now with a 5 run lead over indiana going into the top of the 9th. Nebraska will enter the final pod set with a 1 game lead in the conference standings. I'll take that and every day and twice on Sunday :)

Need to go 3-1 this weekend, preferably two wins against Indiana

1 hour ago, ColoradoHusk said:

IMO, Northwestern having COVID issues and having a game canceled is comparable to having a game canceled due to weather.  I know a lot of people on here don't agree with me, but the COVID issues are due to how weird and unpredictable COVID is, just like the weather can be.  While it would be great for all of these student-athletes to get the vaccine, it's not something that can be forced upon them.

If they’ll couldn’t play due to Covid then sure. They had 20 guys. Most conferences only allow 25-27 to travel anyways. I counted 2 dudes who have pitched college innings for NW who traveled to Lincoln and didn’t pitch this weekend. Another 2 who traveled to Lincoln and didn’t pitch, but their NW bios discusses them being pretty good HS pitchers. That’s 4 capable arms who didn’t pitch this weekend. They could have played 9 innings but didn’t want to. If this was a conf tournament title, they would have gladly figured a way to play 9. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3

Meanwhile in Volleyball the BIG awarded Wisconsin 2 wins over Northwestern. I guess it depends on what team it is before the league considers it a forfeit. Wisconsin gains a leg up- SURE NO PROBLEM. What a joke this league is. Its run like some 3rd world corrupt banana republic. 

"After the two matches against Northwestern, which were cancelled earlier this season, were declared as forfeits by the Big Ten"

https://www.buckys5thquarter.com/2021/4/1/22363248/wisconsin-badgers-are-back-to-back-big-ten-volleyball-champions-dana-rettke-sydney-hilley

2 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

If Nebraska wins the Big Ten and gets sent to the Fayetteville Regional I am going to be livid.  

From what I've seen loosely following things over the back half of the season, it's kind of become a meme that no matter what happens week to week, D1Baseball keeps us in Fayetteville.

At this point - just gotta take care of business. If we finish with more wins than losses and win the conference, there's no way they could justify sending us down there to play the top overall seed. That would have to mean a conference champ is the lowest 2 seed. I'm not usually tinfoil hat conspiracy guy but it would actually be justified if that happened.

2 hours ago, Loebarth said:

Yep! They just gotta go win some more ball games. Gotta figure at least a split in that pod and winning our last series would get it done. Of course I'll be pulling for 7 more in the win column :koolaid2:

• Fire 1
4 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

From what I've seen loosely following things over the back half of the season, it's kind of become a meme that no matter what happens week to week, D1Baseball keeps us in Fayetteville.

At this point - just gotta take care of business. If we finish with more wins than losses and win the conference, there's no way they could justify sending us down there to play the top overall seed. That would have to mean a conference champ is the lowest 2 seed. I'm not usually tinfoil hat conspiracy guy but it would actually be justified if that happened.

Yep! They just gotta go win some more ball games. Gotta figure at least a split in that pod and winning our last series would get it done. Of course I'll be pulling for 7 more in the win column :koolaid2:

I'd agree it has been most of the seson.  Although I will give Kendall and company credit for having a Lincoln regional possibility before they face planted against Rutgers.  I just hope they are able to stay out of Fayetteville and Nashville.  If they win they should send them to a weaker seed, like Oxford, MS, travel be damned because the northern teams kind of get boxed into a corner.