Huskers 14/1 to win the B1G

What is the reasoning for Northwestern being above us (or even high in the West), other that Fitzgerald gives them a high floor? They lose a ton of production from their roster, will be breaking in a new QB, lost their long-time defensive coordinator, and got extremely lucky in close games last year. I think they might just suck next year.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

What is the reasoning for Northwestern being above us (or even high in the West), other that Fitzgerald gives them a high floor? They lose a ton of production from their roster, will be breaking in a new QB, lost their long-time defensive coordinator, and got extremely lucky in close games last year. I think they might just suck next year.

No Ramsey, no chance. Dude delivered B1G knowledge, production, and experience that Hunter and Hilinski (sp?) can't offer. They will need to rebuild around one of those guys in 2021 to be a challenger again in 2022 or 2023 depending on the defense.

16 hours ago, deedsker said:

No Ramsey, no chance. Dude delivered B1G knowledge, production, and experience that Hunter and Hilinski (sp?) can't offer. They will need to rebuild around one of those guys in 2021 to be a challenger again in 2022 or 2023 depending on the defense.

I'm sure now that I've said that they'll go like 11-1 or something but next year seems like one of their reload years to me.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, J-MAGIC said:

I'm sure now that I've said that they'll go like 11-1 or something but next year seems like one of their reload years to me.

That's always what happens to me. The one year I finally gave up and expected them to be good, they went 3-9. But Fitz will have earned his contract if they even go bowling this year, most of the defense is gone and Ramsey was single handedly dragging them up to mediocre on offense. 

17 hours ago, J-MAGIC said:

I think this is said every single year 

• Plus1 2
17 hours ago, J-MAGIC said:

The Schedule. Other than Nebraska playing Michigan at home and they play them on the road the Big Ten schedule strength is fairly similar overall with one glaring exception.  They don't Play OSU, we do. They play Rutgers in place of OSU and they have this 4 week schedule - Ohio, at Nebraska, bye, Rutgers. Giving them plenty of time to prep for us.

Meanwhile not only does Nebraska play OSU, the schedule goes At OSU, MSU, Northwestern, Michigan . 

1 hour ago, J-MAGIC said:

They have also had sneaky good QB talent for almost a decade now (Kain Colter, Trevor Siemian, Taylor Thorson, and Payton Ramsey). When their QB's get hurt or don't have the next guy ready is when they have struggled. Defense always seems to be above average year in and year out.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, Blackshirt316 said:

The Schedule. Other than Nebraska playing Michigan at home and they play them on the road the Big Ten schedule strength is fairly similar overall with one glaring exception.  They don't Play OSU, we do. They play Rutgers in place of OSU and they have this 4 week schedule - Ohio, at Nebraska, bye, Rutgers. Giving them plenty of time to prep for us.

Meanwhile not only does Nebraska play OSU, the schedule goes At OSU, MSU, Northwestern, Michigan . 

I hadn't seen their schedule. OK never mind. Must be nice!

On 5/12/2021 at 11:22 AM, Blackshirt316 said:

Meanwhile not only does Nebraska play OSU, the schedule goes At OSU, MSU, Northwestern, Michigan

Okay...I'm not understanding something. I'm looking at Nebraska's schedule right now on the right-hand side of the screen, and it shows the following:

10/30    Purdue    
11/06    Ohio St. 

11/13    BYE
11/20    @ Wisconsin
11/26    Iowa

We don't play Ohio State until November, after our game against Pur-f******-due. Additionally, when we play Northwestern:

09/18    @ Oklahoma
09/25    @ Michigan St.
10/02    Northwestern  

We're playing Michigan State (in Lansing...but MSU doesn't look daunting this year) the week before, and Ohio State isn't until November. Oklahoma looks to be formidable, but that's another discussion for another thread. 

Also, why are we discounting the Fightin' Frankies of Ohio? Northwestern will have to spend time preparing for that game, or Ohio will definitely deal them a non-con loss. Northwestern isn't a strong enough team to overlook a team like Ohio...not in the least. 

• Plus1 3