Chin and Co doing something right

Great accolades for Stille and JoJo.  I have said before and will say again, we are an edge rusher away from having a pretty good D.  Actually really good.    I'd feel better with Honas back (leadership/experience/depth), but IMO, the D will carry the team this year.  At least until the O gets its feet wet and the roster settles out.

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-football-recognized-by-Pro-Football-Focus-165283729/

• Plus1 2

Chins was much more prepared than Scott when they came to Nebraska. He remembers the style of play and size difference. It's no surprise that the Defense is on the verge of a breakout. If they do, get the checkbook out. He will be a hot commodity D coordinator because he is also an elite recruiter. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 3
1 hour ago, lo country said:

Great accolades for Stille and JoJo.  I have said before and will say again, we are an edge rusher away from having a pretty good D.  Actually really good.    I'd feel better with Honas back (leadership/experience/depth), but IMO, the D will carry the team this year.  At least until the O gets its feet wet and the roster settles out.

https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-football-recognized-by-Pro-Football-Focus-165283729/

Think C. Tannor is going to impress this year. 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

Gut feeling, but I don’t think Chins is going anywhere. He’s old enough to remember the dynasty of Nebraska and the legacy that you can leave here if you build it. 
that doesn’t mean he won’t get paid, but I’d be surprised if he’s looking around. 

and yeah, the D is definitely on the up. I didn’t know JoJo is 235. He’s a damn good athlete for being that size. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, RedSavage said:

I just hope the d doesn’t s#!t the bed.  We’ve been here before, on both sides of the ball.  

well, let’s hope our 5-6th guys that stuck around and see how they can help us win games by experience, playing time,  and age being 21-23 yrs old v the 18-21 yr olds with limited experience on other teams. 

they came back for reason, I think they know they’re close to being pretty salty as Blackshirts and helping the Cornhuskers as a team get their goals and wins. I’m ready to see this “free” year play out and see how good we can be on D 

• Plus1 1
  • Oh Yeah! 6

9 hours ago, TheBugeater said:

Chin and D being helped by COVID. No one on Offense sticking around after COVID (e.g. Farniok, Jaimes, Stoll, etc..). How good would we feel about the D if Farmer, NPG, Payne and Rogers were starting instead of Deonti Wlliams, Dismuke, Stille and JoJo?

Better than the offense by a country mile 

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, ZRod said:

Right? Everybody wanted him gone a year ago

And that was because of everyone's preconceived notions going into the regime. Game by game, year by year, the D was steadily improving, and kept Nebraska close in a handful of games. Anyone who was attempting to be objective saw by the end of 2018 that this was a Frost issue. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

If the offense improves, the defense will automatically improve. They won't be on the field as much, give our better players more rest, and  the opponent will become more predictable in their schemes. I'm not saying the defense hasn't improved, but if the offense can be somewhat better, we will see an even better defense.

• Plus1 7
3 hours ago, jager said:

If the offense improves, the defense will automatically improve. They won't be on the field as much, give our better players more rest, and  the opponent will become more predictable in their schemes. I'm not saying the defense hasn't improved, but if the offense can be somewhat better, we will see an even better defense.

I want to add to this. You're exactly right and for this defense to thrive the way Chins wants it, they need the opportunity to take chances. It's hard to do that when your offense sucks. 

• Plus1 6