Chin and Co doing something right

On 5/15/2021 at 4:47 PM, BigRedBuster said:

I still have no problem with the quote.  

Nor do I.  It is direct, unapologetic, and without nuance (my point exactly as yes, he did indeed say this).  All traits of a confident and proven winner in 2017.  

Fast forward 3 years, and perhaps now we can view with greater appreciation the Chinander approach (head down, diligent, and process-oriented).  This was my original point, complimentary of deeds, not words.

• Haha 1

On 5/11/2021 at 10:20 PM, TheBugeater said:

Chin and D being helped by COVID. No one on Offense sticking around after COVID (e.g. Farniok, Jaimes, Stoll, etc..). How good would we feel about the D if Farmer, NPG, Payne and Rogers were starting instead of Deonti Wlliams, Dismuke, Stille and JoJo?

This is quite true, but it can be argued that it's telling how many defensive players wanted to came back. The defense was also the side pushing for a bowl game. I'm not sold on Chin quite yet but I do think he's growing into the job and we have more buy-in on the defensive side than the offensive. 

• Plus1 1
On 5/11/2021 at 8:20 PM, TheBugeater said:

Chin and D being helped by COVID. No one on Offense sticking around after COVID (e.g. Farniok, Jaimes, Stoll, etc..). How good would we feel about the D if Farmer, NPG, Payne and Rogers were starting instead of Deonti Wlliams, Dismuke, Stille and JoJo?

But imagine how you would feel if that Defense got a full spring and a normal year to showcase themselves?

• Plus1 1

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Chinander comes in at a respectable #26. 

I remember when Chinander was brought in, people were worried that his 3-4 was gonna be about the same as Diaco's 3-4. I remember saying "The difference between Diaco and Chinander is that Diaco says 'don't give up the big play,' while Chinander says 'go out and make a big play of your own.'"

• Plus1 3

41 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I'm still not sold on him. In my opinion he was the weakest link at UCF, and although things began to look promising as the season progressed this past year, I'm still unsure. This season will be telling. 

Genuinely curious - have you dug into the progress he's made since being here? Him and his staff have made incremental improvements every single year he's been here so far. If improving every year for 4 years doesn't sell you, I'm not sure what would. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

I know I'm in the minority, but I'm still not sold on him. In my opinion he was the weakest link at UCF, and although things began to look promising as the season progressed this past year, I'm still unsure. This season will be telling. 

I thought the same thing from when frost 1st got here until last season started. But the defense has by far out performed the offense which isn't saying much but at least he can say his side of the ball is getting better. I don't know if he'll ever get Nebraska's defense to an elite level but given the talent he has to work with at least he's improved the defense.

1 hour ago, gossamorharpy said:

I'm genuinely curious what input elevated his score so high given we dont really get turnovers and we dont sack the qb at that great of a rate.  

That's true regarding those two components.  Outside of that...

I see progress. Plenty of stops during games, along with some good, solid plays in any given game.  They (blackshirts) generally seem to do enough IMO, that if the offense could put a few extra points on the board, we would see 8, 9, 10 wins. 

• Thanks 1

I'll be the first to admit that I thought he was horrible year 1. Then as the season(s) progressed, I realized that he and the D were not at fault, but the O did nothing to hold up their end of the bargain.  And it's still that way. The culture seems to have taken hold, development of players seems be getting done and that entire side of the ball regarding the staff seems to be better IMO. Statistically they have improved each year. I'll take that and the eyeball test to say they are getting things turned around.  Would still feel better about this season as a whole if Honas was going to play this year.

• Plus1 1