Will there be a third political party in the next five years?

Sounds like some conservatives are ready to be quit of the republican party and its hard right turn to trumpian authoritarianism. 

I think we've been talking about a third political party for decades at this point, far neither party has been uncomfortable enough within itself to calve off a new party.

Maybe, with trumpism taking hold, now is the time.

• Plus1 3

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Sounds like some conservatives are ready to be quit of the republican party and its hard right turn to trumpian authoritarianism. 

I think we've been talking about a third political party for decades at this point, far neither party has been uncomfortable enough within itself to calve off a new party.

Maybe, with trumpism taking hold, now is the time.

Who is this McMuffin guy? 

• Haha 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

21 hours ago, teachercd said:

The Republicrates?

The Demicans?

The Moderates    -  doesn't that just get your juices flowing and inspire you??!!    NOT SO MUCH.    

Liberty Party  (maybe too confusing with Libertarian party )

Freedom Party

People's Party ( maybe too 1917 Lenin sounding)

Unity Party - nice ring to it

Patriot Party

Let's Go Party Party - best sounding one yet don't you think:P

3 hours ago, Crusader Husker said:

I'm ready for a 3rd party.  I need to find a place to go....

Yep, me too. But I won’t believe it until I see it. My guess is, if a new party does actually take hold, it will only be about 5 minutes until it also doesn’t represent anything I want to associate with. Politics seems to be highly efficient in that regard.

• Plus1 3

15 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yep, me too. But I won’t believe it until I see it. My guess is, if a new party does actually take hold, it will only be about 5 minutes until it also doesn’t represent anything I want to associate with. Politics seems to be highly efficient in that regard.

Yeah, I'm excited to see what develops here.  But, at the same time, I'm not excited about actually joining it.  I honestly can't imagine me ever joining a party again because I do not want to be one of these people we all know that defends everything a party does and always thinks the other party is antiAmerican trash.

I'm hoping a party develops that gives us a legitimate third choice.  However, I see that taking quite a while.  The best case scenario is that the party is developed and maybe we get a few congressmen from it in 2022.  Then, hopefully we get a good Presidential candidate in 2024 that garners a lot of votes.  Chances are, most of those are going to come from people who typically vote Republican.  So, that means in 2024, we probably would have another Democrat winning.  

Then, if the party is strong enough, maybe we have more Republicans jump ship.  Maybe we have some sitting congressmen join.  My fear though is, some of the same leadership will think they want to jump ship and then we just have a new Republican party with a different name doing the same crap.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

I still think Independence Party is the best way to go. A great many people already affiliate themselves as independents. It's a natural fit for an American political party and people are already mentally committed to the term (with a different spelling) after leaving their current party. What's more, you already have a base to begin recruiting from as people register as (I) on their registrations. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I still think Independence Party is the best way to go. A great many people already affiliate themselves as independents. It's a natural fit for an American political party and people are already mentally committed to the term (with a different spelling) after leaving their current party. What's more, you already have a base to begin recruiting from as people register as (I) on their registrations. 

It would be interesting to see something like this take shape.  Not really set a platform but have primaries where candidates actually debate ideas that are important at the time.  No litmus test for abortion, Trump loyalty, etc...

The party may have both former Dems and Reps bringing a wide range of solutions to the table and actually talk about them instead of each other.

I have a hunch that a reasonable candidate that came out of something like that would do really well in general elections.

• Plus1 2