Garth Brooks in Memorial Stadium

2 hours ago, Husker03 said:

I was at the Garth concert and it made me go from very pro beer-sales-at-Memorial to very much the opposite.  It was a much "drunker" experience than games. People were far more rude and loud and silly and, truly, there is no space for all of the cans in the isles, you end up standing on trash by the end no matter where you stand. After spending the better part of 20 years hoping that we change to beer sales, I am off the wagon like an old geezer. Get drunk before you come like the good old days and sober up by the 4th,  keep the smell and the beer and the stumbling out imo. 

8 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I feel the exact same way.  I had a few beers like most did but by 9pm, it was kind of a sh!t show.  No food available, trash everywhere, and people not handling their alcohol very well.  It just wasn't a good atmosphere half way through the show.  

A concert like this is a very different situation than a game in many ways.  Beer is sold at many sporting events across the country without much of a problem.  I was just at an MLB game a week ago, had a few beers, nobody was out of line or rude or throwing trash all over.

• Plus1 2

6 minutes ago, teachercd said:

He played from 7 until 11?  Dang that is a long show.

It was supposed to start at 7:00 (ish) but at that time there were still 10s of thousands of people standing in line to get in.  He didn't actually start playing until about 7:45 so that people could get in before he started.  But the doors did open at 5:00.  He played until about 10:15.

20 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I must've had a different experience than some of you at Garth.  Sure the lines sucked waiting for beer (and them running out) but that was about the worst part.  I didn't see any fights or have any issues.  Had a blast.

Don't get me wrong, I had a blast for sure. Just saying if that was going to be the norm at football games, no way I would want to partake in that 8 times/year, I'd be much more apt to just watch at home. I've had season tickets for 8 years now since I grew up enough to be able to afford them and don't plan to let them go. I know it was a concert and so the atmosphere different, and I didn't hate it for what it was at all. Again, had a blast, borderline life changing for me in our current Covid world. I've been to NFL games as well which end up similarly. I have no problem taking the kids to an NFL game every now and again, but for sure, much prefer the 'family' atmosphere in Memorial. I know there are people in all phases of life, but for me, beer sales would likely end my desire to go very often at all. 

• Plus1 3

One dude got arrested several rows up and a section over from me.  And there was a couple in ther 40's seat jumping the entire concert.  Too stubborn to just sit in their seats, they kept sitting in already claimed seats until the rightful owners returned.  It was annoying.

Great show though.

3 hours ago, Husker03 said:

Don't get me wrong, I had a blast for sure. Just saying if that was going to be the norm at football games, no way I would want to partake in that 8 times/year, I'd be much more apt to just watch at home. I've had season tickets for 8 years now since I grew up enough to be able to afford them and don't plan to let them go. I know it was a concert and so the atmosphere different, and I didn't hate it for what it was at all. Again, had a blast, borderline life changing for me in our current Covid world. I've been to NFL games as well which end up similarly. I have no problem taking the kids to an NFL game every now and again, but for sure, much prefer the 'family' atmosphere in Memorial. I know there are people in all phases of life, but for me, beer sales would likely end my desire to go very often at all. 

I can't really draw parallels from Garth Brooks to a typical Football Saturday.  FB, people sneak booze in anyway and the crowd is just largely different.  Concerts are accustomed to have drunken blathering idiots who pay for a ticket to blackout and not remember the experience.

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

If they ran out, sales-by-brand won't be that interesting - they should have sold all they brought.

A person may not like Bud Light, but if that's all the beer they have, that's the beer they're going to drink.

What do you think that number would be for a Husker game?

Maybe 50-60,000?

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

What do you think that number would be for a Husker game?

Maybe 50-60,000?

Estimate two beers per person on average, I'd easily double that. About 50,000-60,000 people at those games are likely of drinking age. 

EDIT - I think they sold 105,000 cans of beer at the concert because they only had 105,000 cans. If they'd have had 120,000, they'd have sold them all. 

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

Estimate two beers per person on average, I'd easily double that. About 50,000-60,000 people at those games are likely of drinking age. 

EDIT - I think they sold 105,000 cans of beer at the concert because they only had 105,000 cans. If they'd have had 120,000, they'd have sold them all. 

Yeah that is probably true, they would have sold more.

Man, 100+ cans each home game would be insane but I could see it.

30 minutes ago, knapplc said:

If they ran out in my section, it had to be towards the end.  I bought 3 beers, the last being 15 minutes or so from when he stopped playing so struggled to finish it on the way out.  We had a vendor very close and there really was never much of a line.