National Federation Approves Shot Clock for High School Basketball

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

I haven't been to a HS bball game in awhile but I don't recall ever seeing a shot clock in a HS gym. Some schools may have issues paying for them. Guess they can do more fundraisers....

I've always heard cost is the biggest hold-up in the NFHS adopting it.  "Forcing" schools not only to buy the equipment but also training and paying someone to run it.

Although all this actually does it make it allowable to have a shot clock.  Each state will have to choose if they adopt it or not.  So I'm not holding my breath for it to show up in Nebraska for a few years yet.  I could see it in Colorado sooner.  Which will make interstate games interesting.

• 9 months later...

I completely agree. My son plays freshman ball, and it's not an issue. But I've been to a lot of boys and girls varsity games, and the lack of a shot clock is kind of frustrating. I understand the strategy used, especially when up by a lot towards the end of the game, but just feel like it takes quite a bit away from the game. 

1 hour ago, AZRaiderH8r said:

I completely agree. My son plays freshman ball, and it's not an issue. But I've been to a lot of boys and girls varsity games, and the lack of a shot clock is kind of frustrating. I understand the strategy used, especially when up by a lot towards the end of the game, but just feel like it takes quite a bit away from the game. 

Wonder if they could do a 'mercy rule' shot clock.  30-second shot clock, if the winning team is up 25+ in the second half, shot clock gets turned off.  The basketball equivalent of a running clock.

7 hours ago, sho said:

Wonder if they could do a 'mercy rule' shot clock.  30-second shot clock, if the winning team is up 25+ in the second half, shot clock gets turned off.  The basketball equivalent of a running clock.

I like that, it would be a great start at least.