BIG Doesn't Care About Baseball

Sad but true, for most places what is the Number 3 sport and important to many in the BIG it's relegated to the mound of minor sports like tennis, cross country or bowling. Evidence? No tournament, No updated Schedules or even current and accurate standings on the web site.  Basketball had a tournament indoors, close and personal. Baseball last I looked is played outside. Tournament in a place like Omaha, which is cold for COVID and home to the College World Series- naw Kevin Warren said pass. 

Web site updates. Well I guess the BIG web site must be run by someone related to my sons Tball league voluntary admin person. We are very patient with him because he doesnt get paid to do it and has another full time job.  The BIG site often times does NOT have up to date standings and scores and even has been wrong on a number of occasions. Yesterday second place Indiana played Illinois and lost. Neither teams schedule even had the game listed and the standings havent been updated yet. So Im wondering if this is "fake news", if the game was really played and if it really counts. This could be one giant hoax.  I mean nothing important here- down to the last 7 games and 4 teams still have a shot at winning in a very tight race. 

Im sure whoever the volunteer running the BIG web site- maybe Kevin Warrens cousin in laws next door neighbor has been too busy this week to update the site. I mean we are deep into other sports season and Im sure hes busy with stuff of his own like putting in his garden and getting ready for an upcoming garage sale. I mean it isnt like the BIG makes hundreds of millions of dollars every year and the head honcho makes millions- right? I mean they couldnt possibly afford a full time web guy right?  What a joke https://admin.bigten.org/schedule.aspx?schedule=535

https://admin.bigten.org/standings.aspx?path=baseball

Out of conference games against teams in your home town, home games or even 60-100 miles away. Nope, pass but lets travel 1000 miles to COVID hot spots, fly and stay in hotels. No big deal- it just cost theh BIG teams competing in baseball AND softball ANY chance at hosting a regional- which Im guessing they didnt understand is a HUGE advantage. Someone needs to educate them on these basics it seems. 

• Plus1 2

Their standings look updated to me, and for what it is worth they have been updated daily as far as I have seen, but I agree with your sentiment in general. It is a shame they don’t do more to promote the national success of their baseball programs. 

https://bigten.org/standings.aspx?path=baseball

- edit- doesn’t look like yesterday’s IU-ILL game was added yet. Seems like they update once a day so probably later today. I never look at the B1G site for football standings, so not sure if this is any different for other sports or not, I know volleyball has a bit of a delay as well.

1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Meanwhile not only is the ACC having their tournament. They are doing it at FULL CAPACITY. 

Will Bolt bless his heart. How in the world do we hang on to him when he has to compete with both hands tied behind his back. 

https://dailyprogress.com/sports/uva-sports-notebook-acc-baseball-tournament-to-operate-at-full-capacity/article_95c619aa-b817-11eb-9bb7-c7113d6f61db.html

NCAA announces full capacity for Baseball and Softball tournaments...

2 hours ago, caveman99 said:

Their standings look updated to me, and for what it is worth they have been updated daily as far as I have seen, but I agree with your sentiment in general. It is a shame they don’t do more to promote the national success of their baseball programs. 

https://bigten.org/standings.aspx?path=baseball

- edit- doesn’t look like yesterday’s IU-ILL game was added yet. Seems like they update once a day so probably later today. I never look at the B1G site for football standings, so not sure if this is any different for other sports or not, I know volleyball has a bit of a delay as well.

During football and basketball all the games were posted on day of game. 

In baseball they dont even have the schedules correct. Indiana played Illinois on TUESDAY. Both teams had to know at LEAST by SUNDAY that they were going to play. Its WEDNESDAY and neither teams schedule showed them playing.  Or maybe Illinois and Indiana just decided they were going to play, asked Uncle Albert and Cousin Jimmy along with some lady from the stands to ump the games and called it a day. 

Again a league with hundreds of millions of dollars of revenue and a leader making millions- cant afford a full time competent web guy- I get it. We have the same issues with my sons tball league. 

One would think that someone as inept as a leader as Kevin Warren is, would at least have the outward simple things like having the correct schedules out and scores- standings posted correctly. I guess not- hes inept at everything it seems. 

Baseball isnt bowling or tidlywinks- it matters and the BIG doesnt care a lick about it. Even though one of our teams played for the NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP the last time it was played LOL. 

• Fire 1

You have some valid complaints but playing devil's advocate here, this is a bit like the argument people make when arguing sports stars shouldn't be paid so much.  They only get those contracts because they make the teams/owners paying those contracts way more than that.  They're not getting paid millions of dollars randomly, it's good business to pay those contracts. 

This argument is a bit like that in that, like it or not, football and basketball bring in the majority of the $$$ and eyeballs. Baseball is also more suited to warmer climates, and those teams are usually better, as you see in the rankings every year. A northern team can do well, but it's less likely and honestly I probably would spend more time promoting sports where I could get more return for my league reputation if I were in that business.

• Plus1 1

Kevin Warren didnt get the job because he's maximizing revenues for the league. He has failed miserably in that regard. He wasnt a merit hire- just a stepping stone formality for him being the next top guy in the super woke NFL. 

Baseball seems to do very well in places like Chicago, Milwaukee, Cincy, Cleveland, Boston, New York, Detroit etc Michigan played for the title the last time the College World Series was played. Of course its a bit more difficult being from the cold, however it is the 3rd biggest sport- it shouldn't be treated like bowling and field hockey.  Not having the schedules up or standings current on the net is bush league incompetence from a league that makes hundreds of millions.

Yes football is the driver AND Mr Warren screwed that up royally too.

Nebraska draws pretty well- maybe those other schools need to invest and promote it a bit and be like us. 

• Plus1 2

Its Thursday and the hamster wheel powered BIG website which l guess is manned by a volunteer who is too busy working on his gardening, video gaming and garage sale prep tasks to update the site, scores, standings from Tuesdays game. 

A JV league - not just in football. Laughable. No big deal though- its only the last 2 weekends, 4 teams in the thick of things and its only the 3rd biggest sport in college athletics. 

Maybe someone should call Mr Warren and let him know Indiana- Illinois played and what the score was. Who knows, it could impact who is declared champions- since Indiana is- was- maybe still is in second place.  Or maybe just award the championship to Wisconsin since they have no losses.

2 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

I think it would fascinating to see what Big Ten leadership would do if they pushed back the NCAA season to line up with MLB and give them more equal footing?  Would the university brass around the conference invest more in the sport?

Has merit. 

However most of the teams in the South, West, Southeast, MidAtlantic probably arent very interested in "parity". Giving up their home field and recruiting advantages over the northern teams- that have zero power probably isnt going to happen in any of our lifetimes. 

I travel extensively and its shocking how popular baseball is for youth- HS- pros in Northern States. 

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/prominent-coaches-debut-plan-for-a-new-model-for-college-baseball/

3 hours ago, Loebarth said:

lol, @Nebraska55fan

I feel your frustration and I know others do as well. In the end the game will eventually be recorded. So for your hearts sake, breathe a little slower and jillax. You're rants have all of us worried for your health. :)

Just trying to show what a Joke- incompetent this conference is by being sarcastic. 

There is a silver lining though. It gives many hope to see someone so incompetent like Kevin Warren make so much money.:)

Does anyone here have Kevin Warrens phone number?

Its Friday and Tuesdays supposed results have yet to be posted- or schedules updated. Or maybe Kevin and his super efficient staff arent aware a game was played- or maybe the Illinois- Indiana game is a big hoax and never happened. :lol:

Maybe the volunteer kid who updates the web site is out of school and doesnt have too many chores to do tomorrow so he has the time to update the scores- wins- losses etc Might be "nice" if  the people who vote in the College Baseball polls might have accurate won and loss totals.  

Just more evidence that the BIG cares nothing about baseball. 

23 hours ago, DrinkinwitTerrellFarley said:

I think it would fascinating to see what Big Ten leadership would do if they pushed back the NCAA season to line up with MLB and give them more equal footing?  Would the university brass around the conference invest more in the sport?

I have never figured out why college baseball isn't played in the summer.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have never figured out why college baseball isn't played in the summer.

Umm... it is a university athletic department so that is one reason. The article points out several other reasons too.

Still, I fully get where you're coming from. Though I do think you more correctly mean a "national spring" sport. Wait until the average highs in the northern states are mid 50's thereby delaying the season start by 30 days and extending play thru the CWS into July. I think we all scratch our heads on that.

Edit:

also @Nebraska55fan - still showing indiana with only 12 losses.. do you suppose it will be updated before they play today?