2022 Season Opener to take place in Dublin, Ireland

59 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That seems like a recipe for disaster.  They are probably going to have 10-11 hour trip home to get home on Sunday.  They are then going to be tired for Monday and maybe tuesday's practice.

Just pop some Ambien and sleep on the plane. Everybody does it!

On 5/21/2021 at 11:30 AM, BigRedBuster said:

That seems like a recipe for disaster.  They are probably going to have 10-11 hour trip home to get home on Sunday.  They are then going to be tired for Monday and maybe tuesday's practice.

There definitely is a bit of hangover when the team flies back from Ireland to get ready for a game next week.  in 2012 Purdue took our future BCS team to the wire 17-20, and  teams on that schedule did not score 17; until the Orange Bowl...

And presumably something like it after the tour of the Guinness brewery.

53 minutes ago, internetman said:

I don't get the obsession with foreign game.... weren't people complaining about missing out on a home game and the businesses and whatnot?

What does this game bring to the program? more exposure? Nebraska is pretty well exposed at this point

It brings a lot. Sales point for recruiting and rewarding players in the program who have not had a bowl trip/experience. 

Also it is not one of Nebraska’s home games so it won’t affect game day sales and local businesses. 

2 hours ago, bugeater17 said:

It brings a lot. Sales point for recruiting and rewarding players in the program who have not had a bowl trip/experience. 

Also it is not one of Nebraska’s home games so it won’t affect game day sales and local businesses. 

I think if that is our strategy ... that this communicates REWARD for mediocrity.  There is no need to spend additional money for the players in the program for not being able to hike a ball, block and tackle an opponent.  

I'd much rather [as I'm sure you would] see :bigredn: train up the recruit to meet the standard that leads to eight [8] wins ... so that their own reward will be a bowl trip/experience.  Personally, I'm not even a fan of rewarding a team for winning half their games ... or even 7.  Their isn't much to gloat or reward when win half your games and the victories are over purposed "W's".

I get what you are saying ... and it sounds good and all ... but I do think if that is a "sales point" ... in the end ... it only adds to the eroding of the program [not add to it].

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • 8 months later...
  • 5 months later...

9 minutes ago, Mavric said:

So they think there are going to be 37k fans.  If NU has sold 9k tickets so far.  Next tweet say NW has sold 3k tickets.  Where are the other 25k coming from?  Have to think there aren't going to be too many more NU/NW fans that are going to buy only 6 weeks out.  Are they going to be 20k locals to show?

Hopefully our appearance fee isn't heavily tied to tickets sold.

• Haha 1
Just now, Red Five said:

So they think there are going to be 37k fans.  If NU has sold 9k tickets so far.  Next tweet say NW has sold 3k tickets.  Where are the other 25k coming from?  Have to think there aren't going to be too many more NU/NW fans that are going to buy only 6 weeks out.  Are they going to be 20k locals to show?

I would think they've got to be counting on a decent amount of locals showing up.  It's their one chance all year to see an American football game.  Same for the NFL in London (except now more than once per year).

8 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Well, the good news is this narrative probably would have been the case had this just been an away game at northwestern anyways ;)

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1