2022 Season Opener to take place in Dublin, Ireland

No doubt an Ireland trip would be fun for many, fans or not, but pricey as well.  I haven’t bothered to check myself but I’d guess it’d be 2500 bucks per person in a group deal.  I can’t go but would have very much enjoyed it certainly.  A loss in the game would be a downer but renting a Harley for a couple week to ride all over a blast !   

4 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

No doubt an Ireland trip would be fun for many, fans or not, but pricey as well.  I haven’t bothered to check myself but I’d guess it’d be 2500 bucks per person in a group deal.  I can’t go but would have very much enjoyed it certainly.  A loss in the game would be a downer but renting a Harley for a couple week to ride all over a blast !   

I could see this game being a fun thing to do if you were already planning a trip to Ireland/Europe and this could be a fun thing to do while you're there.

That being said, to me what makes going to a college game a blast is like 50% of the game itself.  The tailgating, the unique experience and traditions each schools and programs have, checking out a new college town or coming back to lincoln to revel in the gameday experience is the other 50%.  I'd rather take the money required to make this trip and just go to 2 games in the states instead

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, gossamorharpy said:

I could see this game being a fun thing to do if you were already planning a trip to Ireland/Europe and this could be a fun thing to do while you're there.

That being said, to me what makes going to a college game a blast is like 50% of the game itself.  The tailgating, the unique experience and traditions each schools and programs have, checking out a new college town or coming back to lincoln to revel in the gameday experience is the other 50%.  I'd rather take the money required to make this trip and just go to 2 games in the states instead

Exactly.  But Ireland is not much like any of the states.   I’ve been to all but Alaska by auto and most by cycle.  I’ve been to perhaps a dozen bowls and that many more reg season all around the country.  Rose bowl was a great time, exc the game where they ran out of beer by early 2nd qtr I think.  And you needed extra beer to watch that one.  Lol

Away games were ok but most were not all that memorable.  But until moving to NY I rarely missed a game in Lincoln for almost 40 yrs.  Partied at 97% of them, before and after normally, except for a few games when fall harvest demanded my attention.  Lol. 

18 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I would think they've got to be counting on a decent amount of locals showing up.  It's their one chance all year to see an American football game.  Same for the NFL in London (except now more than once per year).

I would guess the NFL is way, way, way more popular that CFB is.

Think of the reverse.  70k Americans would show up to watch a Man City vs Chelsea game.  Would 10k Americans show up to watch a game between Hull City and Derby County?

• Plus1 2
32 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

Exactly.  But Ireland is not much like any of the states.   I’ve been to all but Alaska by auto and most by cycle.  I’ve been to perhaps a dozen bowls and that many more reg season all around the country.  Rose bowl was a great time, exc the game where they ran out of beer by early 2nd qtr I think.  And you needed extra beer to watch that one.  Lol

Away games were ok but most were not all that memorable.  But until moving to NY I rarely missed a game in Lincoln for almost 40 yrs.  Partied at 97% of them, before and after normally, except for a few games when fall harvest demanded my attention.  Lol. 

I assume you're referencing the beatdown at the hands of miami? had i been there in person, I too would have needed to black out by the end of the 1st quarter to stomach that lol.  I was at the ucla game in 2012 at the rose bowl, that too deserved black out status with how we blew that one

Yeah this game feeling wise would seem to be more like a bowl game experience at a big city.  No home fans or campus but you're there for the game and different vibe to it before and after

3 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I assume you're referencing the beatdown at the hands of miami? had i been there in person, I too would have needed to black out by the end of the 1st quarter to stomach that lol.  I was at the ucla game in 2012 at the rose bowl, that too deserved black out status with how we blew that one

Yeah this game feeling wise would seem to be more like a bowl game experience at a big city.  No home fans or campus but you're there for the game and different vibe to it before and after

And they really know how to drink beer in Dublin.  Yes, I did mean the Rose Bowl game in 01.  Sadly, I only went because I told my wife, too prophetically, it would probably be the last major bowl NU would play in for a long time.  21 years and running sadly. I saw it coming before that one.  I hate it that I was right more than I can describe.  Ugh.  

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Think of the reverse.  70k Americans would show up to watch a Man City vs Chelsea game.  Would 10k Americans show up to watch a game between Hull City and Derby County?

I would guess it's more the novelty as opposed to the popularity.

Sean Callahan confirmed the rest are expected to be locals.

1 hour ago, Red Five said:

Agree. Hull City vs. Derby County is no Fulham vs. Bournemouth.

31 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Huskers to leave Lincoln Monday, Aug 22nd.  They'll arrive in Dublin Tuesday, Aug 23rd.  Plan is to fly home Sunday, Aug 28th.

When does practice start?   Hope they get 20 practices in Lincoln at least!   Ire practices will be minimal value in all likelihood.  Better get in shape ASAP!   Travel will dog em 24 hrs surely.  

13 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Agree. Hull City vs. Derby County is no Fulham vs. Bournemouth.

100%.  Fulham and Bournemouth are both in the EPL for 2022.  I picked 2 teams that finished at the bottom the 2nd division, although I did have a thought of going to the 3rd division since that is more like what NU and NW are.