2021 NCAA Tournament

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

My kids got me tickets to the first game at 1:00 on Saturday.  Looks like NC State vs. Stanford.  

Looks like I'll be rooting for NC State.

NC St is really the only team that I want to do well, maybe Arizona. It's a really Vanilla CWS field. Like having Alabama vs Clemson in the CFB Playoff. 

On 6/15/2021 at 9:22 AM, FrantzHardySwag said:

NC St is really the only team that I want to do well, maybe Arizona. It's a really Vanilla CWS field. Like having Alabama vs Clemson in the CFB Playoff. 

Agreed, lots of 'name' brands in the field this year.  Was hoping to see Dallas Baptist get over the hump.  In the same boat as you regarding NC State then I'd probably go Stanford after that.  Really fun club to watch this year.  I just looked and I can't believe they haven't been to Omaha since 2008.  They were an absolute mainstay in Omaha during my time as a kid/teenager and seemed to be here every year from the mid 80s when I first remember going to games until the mid 2000s.

23 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

Agreed, lots of 'name' brands in the field this year.  Was hoping to see Dallas Baptist get over the hump.  In the same boat as you regarding NC State then I'd probably go Stanford after that.  Really fun club to watch this year.  I just looked and I can't believe they haven't been to Omaha since 2008.  They were an absolute mainstay in Omaha during my time as a kid/teenager and seemed to be here every year from the mid 80s when I first remember going to games until the mid 2000s.

Yep, I'm 31 so Stanford was always here when I was growing up. I was shocked to hear this is their first time going since it's been at the Blatt. I'll probably catch a game or two this year. I like to hit the beer gardens  - and TD really is beautiful stadium. That being said every time I step foot in TD, the same thought creeps into my head "This isn't Rosenblatt". God I miss that stadium...

• Plus1 2

27 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Yep, I'm 31 so Stanford was always here when I was growing up. I was shocked to hear this is their first time going since it's been at the Blatt. I'll probably catch a game or two this year. I like to hit the beer gardens  - and TD really is beautiful stadium. That being said every time I step foot in TD, the same thought creeps into my head "This isn't Rosenblatt". God I miss that stadium...

Agreed, Rosenblatt was terrific.  TD is very nice and they do a great job, it just seems like the environment is a little more...oh, I don't know...sterile I suppose?

2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

One stance I had that I wish I would've pushed further is Rosenblatt as a College World Series hall of fame/College baseball hall of fame.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, this is the first time I've ever been to a college world series game.  Kids bought me tickets for fathers day.  So....any suggestions as to bars, beer gardens, tailgates...etc. that the general public can go to?

Near the ballpark -

I recommend finding a food truck, there will be plenty of great options. Some inside the tailgates, some outside. 

The Blatt is a good location for local/craft beers and more German/sausage eats. It’s attached to the Zesto’s too, of course. 

Old Mattress Factory has the big tailgate near the ballpark. They have/had free concerts in the tailgate. Usually first Friday night is a named band you might recognize. The rest of the week, I dunno. When I first moved back about 9 years ago it was $4/16oz cans and then went corporate to $5, then $5/12oz cans, and then they also started collecting cover after 9pm. Haven’t been in there after several years as I grew tired of that scene and overpriced Bud Light. 

Lefty’s isn’t a bad spot to get a beer, just across the street from the ballpark. They are owned by the adjacent pizza joint, so you can also order food. 

Same block or one block west of Leftys is another business complex with Zipline and another bar. 

I haven’t heard anything to make me go out of my way to eat at Burger Theory. Heard it was about a $50 tab for a couple burgers and beers.

If you can’t find parking or don’t mind a short walk...there’s free parking under the viaduct just south of CHI, as if you were going toward the old Rick’s Boatyard. It’s about a 10-15 minute walk. There’s usually no issue getting parking there and thats become our default location to not fight parking during CWS.

Off the beaten path:

I will throw a plug for Lo Sole Mio because I worked there. It’s the only reason I’ve found to like texas fans. I had the fortune to wait on Auggie, and being a baseball guy it was neat for me. I wanted to ask him to curse me out! Him and Molinari used to dine there every year their teams made it. Good Italian food, will leave you stuffed or with a second meal in to-go box. 

-Block 16 is legit farm to table location, a gourmet spin on “burgers” and other infusion flavors. 
-Dinkers is a great cash dive bar with good burgers and cheap domestics - like $8 pitchers
-Stellas, my favorite burger spot. Great family owned business. 

• Plus1 2
On 6/17/2021 at 3:34 PM, Savage Husker said:

Near the ballpark -

I recommend finding a food truck, there will be plenty of great options. Some inside the tailgates, some outside. 

The Blatt is a good location for local/craft beers and more German/sausage eats. It’s attached to the Zesto’s too, of course. 

Old Mattress Factory has the big tailgate near the ballpark. They have/had free concerts in the tailgate. Usually first Friday night is a named band you might recognize. The rest of the week, I dunno. When I first moved back about 9 years ago it was $4/16oz cans and then went corporate to $5, then $5/12oz cans, and then they also started collecting cover after 9pm. Haven’t been in there after several years as I grew tired of that scene and overpriced Bud Light. 

Lefty’s isn’t a bad spot to get a beer, just across the street from the ballpark. They are owned by the adjacent pizza joint, so you can also order food. 

Same block or one block west of Leftys is another business complex with Zipline and another bar. 

I haven’t heard anything to make me go out of my way to eat at Burger Theory. Heard it was about a $50 tab for a couple burgers and beers.

If you can’t find parking or don’t mind a short walk...there’s free parking under the viaduct just south of CHI, as if you were going toward the old Rick’s Boatyard. It’s about a 10-15 minute walk. There’s usually no issue getting parking there and thats become our default location to not fight parking during CWS.

Off the beaten path:

I will throw a plug for Lo Sole Mio because I worked there. It’s the only reason I’ve found to like texas fans. I had the fortune to wait on Auggie, and being a baseball guy it was neat for me. I wanted to ask him to curse me out! Him and Molinari used to dine there every year their teams made it. Good Italian food, will leave you stuffed or with a second meal in to-go box. 

-Block 16 is legit farm to table location, a gourmet spin on “burgers” and other infusion flavors. 
-Dinkers is a great cash dive bar with good burgers and cheap domestics - like $8 pitchers
-Stellas, my favorite burger spot. Great family owned business. 

Ok, less than 3 hours before game time. Where is everyone?

Ok, that was a great time.  Definitely want to go back. But, a few things. 

1). They painted the bleachers in the outfield with blue paint that rubbed off on everyone’s clothes. That sucked.  

2). It was hotter than crap and they didn’t have any of the water fountains hooked up except one that had a line a mile long. 

Everything else was top notch and a great time.  

• Fire 1