Rob Childress out at A&M

Uh, no, word on the street is A&M wants somebody from a better power conference. I recall A&M fans not even being that upset when Bolt left the staff to take over here, so they'd probably flip their you-know-what if they hired a guy with 1 full season as a head coach in the average Big 10. And that's just fine by me, they can throw money at some Big 12 or SEC guy, have fun with that.

2 hours ago, HuskersNC949597 said:

Uh, no, word on the street is A&M wants somebody from a better power conference. I recall A&M fans not even being that upset when Bolt left the staff to take over here, so they'd probably flip their you-know-what if they hired a guy with 1 full season as a head coach in the average Big 10. And that's just fine by me, they can throw money at some Big 12 or SEC guy, have fun with that.

My buddy is connected there. They think BIG. They’ll go after a huge name....Texas Tech Coach, TCU Coach, Tennessee Coach, Pat Casey outta retirement. Side note I wouldn’t mind Childress for AD after Moos. We have to fundraise a memorial facelift and Childress can hunt and shmooze donors. He’d be awesome to have in the AD. Obviously only if he doesn’t have the coaching itch.  

• Plus1 2
16 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

My buddy is connected there. They think BIG. They’ll go after a huge name....Texas Tech Coach, TCU Coach, Tennessee Coach, Pat Casey outta retirement. Side note I wouldn’t mind Childress for AD after Moos. We have to fundraise a memorial facelift and Childress can hunt and shmooze donors. He’d be awesome to have in the AD. Obviously only if he doesn’t have the coaching itch.  

Agreed.  I mean this will all the respect in the world to Bolt, but he'd be like Plan J for A&Ms HC job.  I expect them to throw unlimited money at Tim Tadlock from TTU which would be an incredible pull given that Tadlock is a TTU alumni.  The Pat Casey drop would be a really interesting hire.  My completely random dart throw is the Louisville coach, Dan McDonnell.  Been at UL since 2007, 5 CWS appearances, spent 5 years at Ole Miss prior to the UL HC job.  

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

A&M is into the big name, big money hires- think Jimbo Fischer but in baseball. McDonnell will back the truck in and make a pile of cash at a place that supports , loves baseball and has virtually unlimited funds.   Bolt is safe for now. 

Correct.  Those who want Bolt to stay, which I would assume is almost everyone, should feel fairly secure.   Things would have to go south in the coaching search for Bolt to be considered, IMO.  As others have pointed out, rumor is that he isn't on their short list.  They are looking for a splash hire and will check out many bigger fish before falling back to Bolt.

• Plus1 3

Not to mention, when Nebraska is good, our baseball program is one of the few in Div 1 that operates in the black. 99% of the programs out there operate in the red, even when they’re CWS bound. 

That alone justifies throwing money (to a certain point) at Bolt to stay and build something special (if indeed necessary). 

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

On 5/23/2021 at 11:08 AM, hskrfan4life said:

Wonder if Bolt finds him a spot then again if it ain't broke don't fix it.

I'm much along the lines of "ain't broke, don't fix". 

I'm always fascinated about the What Ifs of hiring Childress over Anderson when DVH left, though. 

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

I'm much along the lines of "ain't broke, don't fix". 

I'm always fascinated about the What Ifs of hiring Childress over Anderson when DVH left, though. 

I've seen Anderson at a few baseball events in Colorado.  His dad was a big deal in baseball in northern Colorado, and I think that Anderson may have been "too small townish" to succeed at a top level of D1 baseball.  Nothing against the guy, but I just felt he would have been better at a smaller program with lower expectations.

5 hours ago, jackattack030 said:

Side note Justin Seely was an assistant at Texas A&M for 11 years. Be interesting if Bolt brings him or as above poster mentioned Childress back to Nebraska.  Side Note. Logan Sartori IF/OF for A&M has entered transfer portal and went Lincoln Southwest. 

Logan's brother Luke is already on the roster here also, you know. Didn't play much but pinch-ran here and there. Singled in his first at-bat against Northwestern if memory serves.