2021-2022 Season Notes

26 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

Practice starts today.  That means six weeks until Western Illinois.  Is anyone else excited?

If this team can come together with the new pieces... I think they could be really good. 

Need to see a good blend and need to improve shooting. A bit concerned on our size down low but if we can light it up from outside that might not be an issue.

The talent is all there. 

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

If this team can come together with the new pieces... I think they could be really good. 

Need to see a good blend and need to improve shooting. A bit concerned on our size down low but if we can light it up from outside that might not be an issue.

The talent is all there. 

Are we really that small inside?

Andre 6'10" 233lbs

Kojenets 7' 220lbs

Breidenbach 6'10" 220 lbs

Walker 6'9" 232lbs

Andre and Walker have decent experience coming back and Andre has gained weight on the off season.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Andre 6'10" 233lbs

Kojenets 7' 220lbs

Walker 6'9" 232lbs

Andre and Walker have decent experience coming back and Andre has gained weight on the off season.

I don't think the problem is height.  It is weight/strength.  Hunter Dickinson at Michigan was 7' 1", 255 lbs last year & has probably put on at least 10-15 pounds of muscle in the off season.  Kofi Cockburn at Illinois was 7', 285 last year and solid as a rock.  Every team in the B1G seems to have at least one big post player.

• Plus1 1

21 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

I don't think the problem is height.  It is weight/strength.  Hunter Dickinson at Michigan was 7' 1", 255 lbs last year & has probably put on at least 10-15 pounds of muscle in the off season.  Kofi Cockburn at Illinois was 7', 285 last year and solid as a rock.  Every team in the B1G seems to have at least one big post player.

You have to admit, those types of players are rare as actually athletic good BB players.

I'm chuckling about this conversation actually because there was a lot of discussion in Fred's first year here where people claimed Fred didn't want a big center like you listed.

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

You have to admit, those types of players are rare as actually athletic good BB players.

I'm chuckling about this conversation actually because there was a lot of discussion in Fred's first year here where people claimed Fred didn't want a big center like you listed.

I remember that.  I think that, ideally, Fred would prefer to not have a big post only player, but to compete in the B1G he has to have one.  What most teams really want today is a big that can defend the post, shoot the three that is quick enough to switch on pick/roll or pick/pop out top.  Unfortunately those guys are few & far between (and probably not looking at NU). 

Luka Garza at Iowa last year had the first two, but not the third which is why he didn't get drafted until late in the second round.  It's also why Cockburn & Dickinson came back this year.  Neither can shoot the three (or at least couldn't last year) and Dickinson had issues switching.  I think Cockburn is what he is and will probably not improve his draft stock by staying in college.  Dickinson showed some ability to hit mid-range jumpers so he may be able to extend his range to become Garza-esque.

56 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

Agree with this completely. Also Kojenets based on everything we know won’t be a factor this year and is likely headed for a redshirt

• Plus1 1
On 9/28/2021 at 9:40 AM, BigRedBuster said:

Andre 6'10" 233lbs

Kojenets 7' 220lbs

Walker 6'9" 232lbs

Weight wise... Yes, I think we are more lean. Not height but seems like all those guys(outside of Walker) can get pushed around a bit.