2021-2022 Season Notes

I have a question for people who know more about coaching shooters.  It remains very frustrating that Nebraska continues to bring in guys that are supposed to be great shooters only to have them forget how to do it once here.

So....why?  

Here's a theory with absolutely no basis in scientific fact.  But, I know if guys aren't used to shooting in a large arena like PBA, they can have depth perception problems.  I've seen it in state basketball teams where they are used to playing in HS gyms and they get to Lincoln and their shooters can have a hard time adjusting.

So.....how much does our shooters actually practice in PBA?  If I remember right, their practice court is more like a HS gym.  So, if that's where they always practice, are our shooters having a hard time adjusting to the depth perception of a large arena?

Just trying to figure out this frustrating trend.

It would also be interesting to know if this phenomena started when they built the new practice facility and PBA instead of practicing and playing in Devaney.  

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have a question for people who know more about coaching shooters.  It remains very frustrating that Nebraska continues to bring in guys that are supposed to be great shooters only to have them forget how to do it once here.

So....why?  

Here's a theory with absolutely no basis in scientific fact.  But, I know if guys aren't used to shooting in a large arena like PBA, they can have depth perception problems.  I've seen it in state basketball teams where they are used to playing in HS gyms and they get to Lincoln and their shooters can have a hard time adjusting.

So.....how much does our shooters actually practice in PBA?  If I remember right, their practice court is more like a HS gym.  So, if that's where they always practice, are our shooters having a hard time adjusting to the depth perception of a large arena?

It would also be interesting to know if this phenomena started when they built the new practice facility and PBA instead of practicing and playing in Devaney.  

Would be curious if other schools practice in big gyms or if the reason they seem to be shooting better is they get more shots up in warm ups to figure that out.

That all being said, my thought is it should be muscle memory. I honestly think it comes to the office and guys struggling to move without the ball. It feels stagnant and so guys are getting the ball when they are standing still or they are forcing the shots up. It never feels super fluid and most guys probably need a bit more of that. 

I would love to see this team get better about making the extra pass. 

If a guy like verge drives, my hope is his first pass ends up in the corner to someone like Bryce and then over to another guy which forces the defense to move and gets us better looks. So often it feels like teams dont have to chase our guys and it makes defense way easier.

We know the guys can shoot lights out in practice-- Have heard that about Kesei and Lat. 

4 hours ago, Minnesota_husker said:

If a guy like verge drives, my hope is his first pass ends up in the corner to someone like Bryce and then over to another guy which forces the defense to move and gets us better looks. So often it feels like teams dont have to chase our guys and it makes defense way easier.

So much this.

I have to think if he'd drive to the middle of the lane and kick we would get some really good looks.  Instead he insists on getting all the way to the rim every time.

9 hours ago, Mavric said:

So much this.

I have to think if he'd drive to the middle of the lane and kick we would get some really good looks.  Instead he insists on getting all the way to the rim every time.

A huge part of the problem is that when Verge drives and the defense collapses on him, none of the perimeter players reposition to create a passing lane.  They just stand there like they are chained to the floor.  I'm not sure if it's because of coaching (which I doubt), a lack of understanding from the players or Verge not being a willing passer or Verge not having the vision of a true point guard that knows where players should be vs where they were when he stated his drive.

17 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So....why?  

I would argue that it isn't so much that we can't shoot,  but that our shot selection is horrendous.  The 3 point shot is great and can be an equalizer against superior teams, but you won't have consistent success shooting contested 3s.  We rarely get wide open 3s with ball movement/player movement. 

When that happens,  our percentages are more in line with what should happen.  Most of our shots tend to be of the wild, ridiculous or the hero ball one on one variety.

I would love to tell you that this is could change, but we have seen this movie ever since Fred has been here.  Same circus, different clowns.