2021-2022 Season Notes

1 hour ago, Cobra Kai said:

I would argue that it isn't so much that we can't shoot,  but that our shot selection is horrendous.  The 3 point shot is great and can be an equalizer against superior teams, but you won't have consistent success shooting contested 3s.  We rarely get wide open 3s with ball movement/player movement. 

When that happens,  our percentages are more in line with what should happen.  Most of our shots tend to be of the wild, ridiculous or the hero ball one on one variety.

I would love to tell you that this is could change, but we have seen this movie ever since Fred has been here.  Same circus, different clowns.

Why can't most of our 3s be with the shooter standing at the 3 point line?  It seems like we are always throwing up a shot from at least 5 feet behind the line.  A shot like that is always going to be a lower percentage shot than one at the line that you can rely on muscle memory.

20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why can't most of our 3s be with the shooter standing at the 3 point line?  It seems like we are always throwing up a shot from at least 5 feet behind the line.  A shot like that is always going to be a lower percentage shot than one at the line that you can rely on muscle memory.

Because we don't have much offensive movement and too often guys just think it's their turn to shoot because they haven't shot in awhile or just got into the game.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's not just the distance on the shots, it's the heavier contest of the shot and off rhythm frequency.  We have loads of problems on offense and it's not on the players, entirely.  It's been this way since the beginning with this regime. 

Defensively, our rotations have been piss poor all year too.  Communication is lousy and we don't seem to have any answer for a team that moves the ball at a medium pace, or faster.  

15 minutes ago, Cobra Kai said:

It's not just the distance on the shots, it's the heavier contest of the shot and off rhythm frequency.  We have loads of problems on offense and it's not on the players, entirely.  It's been this way since the beginning with this regime. 

Defensively, our rotations have been piss poor all year too.  Communication is lousy and we don't seem to have any answer for a team that moves the ball at a medium pace, or faster.  

Also assist passes (when they occur) are usually thrown slow, low, or high, or off to the side, not allowing a rhythmic catch, jump and shoot sequence.

17 hours ago, Mavric said:

Man ... and I was so excited for this season.

I didn't expect miracles.  But I definitely didn't expect ........... whatever this is.

ITs so frustrating that we switch coaches and we still see "hero" ball. Verge is the only thing we either have or are showing. How cant we have better movement without the ball?

Teams continue to just murder us from 3. 

For how excited I was about our talent this year.. We arent seeing it.

Just now, Minnesota_husker said:

ITs so frustrating that we switch coaches and we still see "hero" ball. Verge is the only thing we either have or are showing. How cant we have better movement without the ball?

Teams continue to just murder us from 3. 

For how excited I was about our talent this year.. We arent seeing it.

I've been a defender of Verge all season because I've seen good things from him.  But that doesn't mean he's perfect.  He definitely likes to dribble the ball too much.  Kind of like Teddy last year, I think the rest of the offense kind of grinds to a halt when he does that.  And it seems to be happening more the last couple games.

I don't watch a lot of NBA but from the little I do he kind of seems like a Russell Westbrook-type player to me.  An incredible talent that puts up great stats but he dominates the offense to the detriment of almost everyone else.  I haven't seen a lot of the last couple games but the parts I've seen are basically Verge running pick-and-roll with someone and the other three guys watching.  It's not that it's not effective, but it doesn't lead to very good flow or getting others involved.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I've been a defender of Verge all season because I've seen good things from him.  But that doesn't mean he's perfect.  He definitely likes to dribble the ball too much.  Kind of like Teddy last year, I think the rest of the offense kind of grinds to a halt when he does that.  And it seems to be happening more the last couple games.

I don't watch a lot of NBA but from the little I do he kind of seems like a Russell Westbrook-type player to me.  An incredible talent that puts up great stats but he dominates the offense to the detriment of almost everyone else.  I haven't seen a lot of the last couple games but the parts I've seen are basically Verge running pick-and-roll with someone and the other three guys watching.  It's not that it's not effective, but it doesn't lead to very good flow or getting others involved.

I hadn't even thought of him as Russ Westbrook lite, but it is a perfect description of him.