2021-2022 Season Notes

1 hour ago, ECisGod said:

Honestly, I can see it going either way.  It will depend on how many players agree with Kobe and who needs to be held accountable.  In the interview, he said he'd had the conversation with Hoiberg previously.  That tells me that he had talked to the coaches and nothing had changed.

I thought it was interesting that he mentioned one small thing that would show that players care would be to keep their lockers organized. 

My thing was not at Webster.  I think it's wrong if it's any player does something like that publicly and thinking a bench player is going to make a head coach change is highly unlikely.

1 hour ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

My thing was not at Webster.  I think it's wrong if it's any player does something like that publicly and thinking a bench player is going to make a head coach change is highly unlikely.

I don't necessarily disagree, but if enough players agree with him and go to Hoiberg and say they have tried to correct a player's $h!+ and there is no progress then going public about it might help.  It also could cause any rift(s) to get bigger.  It's hard to tell if you aren't in the locker room every day to see what the issues are.

Huskers have lost 11 out of their last 12 games.  Next 2 games are against top 20 teams (OSU & Wisconsin).  Their only win came against Kennessaw State.

Very frustrating for staff, players and fans.  I just didn't see this coming to be honest.  But I know that if there wasn't a super extension for Hoiberg, he'd be gone sooner than later.  Now you have to stick with him and he has to get them winning again. Winning cures everything. 

5 hours ago, ECisGod said:

I don't necessarily disagree, but if enough players agree with him and go to Hoiberg and say they have tried to correct a player's $h!+ and there is no progress then going public about it might help.  It also could cause any rift(s) to get bigger.  It's hard to tell if you aren't in the locker room every day to see what the issues are.

Where is the multiple player coming from, as all I've seen was one?

10 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Where is the multiple player coming from, as all I've seen was one?

I guess I'm thinking that there is more than one leader on the team.  I'm sure there's more than one player who thinks that Verge is a problem on the court.  You are right that only one player has said anything publicly, but like I said, it's hard to tell what the team dynamic is if you aren't in the locker room every day.

1 hour ago, ECisGod said:

I guess I'm thinking that there is more than one leader on the team.  I'm sure there's more than one player who thinks that Verge is a problem on the court.  You are right that only one player has said anything publicly, but like I said, it's hard to tell what the team dynamic is if you aren't in the locker room every day.

Looking for a solution for losing is more than one person.  We are not in the room or at practices.  Kids today are entitled, I would never have second guess the coach in college or high school.  Secondly, it's a b!^@h trying to rebuild a program with our schedule.  It's like David & Goliath.   I see changes and that gives me hope down the road.

7 minutes ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

Looking for a solution for losing is more than one person.  We are not in the room or at practices.  Kids today are entitled, I would never have second guess the coach in college or high school.  Secondly, it's a b!^@h trying to rebuild a program with our schedule.  It's like David & Goliath.   I see changes and that gives me hope down the road.

I did second guess my college coach occasionally, but never in public.  I always went to his office and discussed things.  Of course I was a DIII distance runner, so there's a big difference.  No one was looking to get me on their radio show - not that there was an a lot of sports talk radio in the early 90's.

I also see some hope for the future.  Hoiberg needs to recruit to his style of play with some tweaks to fit the B1G and get fewer players like Verge & Teddy Allen who are black holes of ball movement.

39 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

I did second guess my college coach occasionally, but never in public.  I always went to his office and discussed things.  Of course I was a DIII distance runner, so there's a big difference.  No one was looking to get me on their radio show - not that there was an a lot of sports talk radio in the early 90's.

I also see some hope for the future.  Hoiberg needs to recruit to his style of play with some tweaks to fit the B1G and get fewer players like Verge & Teddy Allen who are black holes of ball movement.

I'm not sure there was radio when was in college. :D.  i like the fact he is getting more hs kids.  I can see us going after a pg in portal this year.  Instead of building a team with the portal, just grab as needed.

I don’t get to see many games to watch. I have to listen to Kent P and Jake M on the radio coverage and that is far short of good play by play or analysis.  But, it seems Fred has too many me and mind types and not enough role players.  That might work in NBA or even power house college teams.  NU ain’t one and never has or likely will be.  Fundamentals, good old fashioned BB is the first step to build. It’s a never before been done task.  If Fred can’t do it, nobody can - imo.  Let him keep trying but Big Ten BB is tougher than FB generally.  
Run n gun - shoot threes mostly and hope we make a few more - is Fred’s scheme, mostly.  Some may call it entertaining and exciting - I guess.  I prefer trying to win with defense, rebounding, smart ball handling and patient play.  The guys he recruits are all ‘stars’ but come as scorer types.  Too many of those and not enough of the others = the team we are seeing.  
Again, that’s just my inferences from afar.  Id welcome some better insight.  I don’t feel the team is at all ‘close’ to anything but more losses.  

9 minutes ago, 84HuskerLaw said:

I don’t get to see many games to watch. I have to listen to Kent P and Jake M on the radio coverage and that is far short of good play by play or analysis.  But, it seems Fred has too many me and mind types and not enough role players.  That might work in NBA or even power house college teams.  NU ain’t one and never has or likely will be.  Fundamentals, good old fashioned BB is the first step to build. It’s a never before been done task.  If Fred can’t do it, nobody can - imo.  Let him keep trying but Big Ten BB is tougher than FB generally.  
Run n gun - shoot threes mostly and hope we make a few more - is Fred’s scheme, mostly.  Some may call it entertaining and exciting - I guess.  I prefer trying to win with defense, rebounding, smart ball handling and patient play.  The guys he recruits are all ‘stars’ but come as scorer types.  Too many of those and not enough of the others = the team we are seeing.  
Again, that’s just my inferences from afar.  Id welcome some better insight.  I don’t feel the team is at all ‘close’ to anything but more losses.  

1. What I see is hero ball, especially at the end of games.  This is not one player - starters or bench.

2. There appears to be no upperclassmen leadership or pride in the school.

3. Verge, Trey & walker need to learn how to pass and quit worry about the no calls.

4. Mayen could not start on any other team in the conference.   Too slow physically & mentally.

5. We are short a true big man & point guard.

This is my 2 cents.

• Plus1 2
3 hours ago, SouthLincoln Husker said:

1. What I see is hero ball, especially at the end of games.  This is not one player - starters or bench.

2. There appears to be no upperclassmen leadership or pride in the school.

3. Verge, Trey & walker need to learn how to pass and quit worry about the no calls.

4. Mayen could not start on any other team in the conference.   Too slow physically & mentally.

5. We are short a true big man & point guard.

This is my 2 cents.

I agree on the hero ball.

I think Trey can help with leadership now that he's back from injury

I add Mayen and Bryce to the "quit worrying about no calls" list.

Agree 100% on the last two.

They don't necessarily need a point guard as long as they have someone who can run the offense (ball movement) and make the right decisions.  I think Banton was getting good at being a "point forward" toward the end of last year.  Not great, but certainly growing into the position.

• Plus1 1