Browser 'back' button not working

Tech support question.  

I don't know why, but the back arrow (browser tab/button - upper left corner) will not take me back to the previous page when I click on it to go back one page.  Instead, it responds like a refresh and I stay on same page. Every time I click on it.  I don't know why, so I'm wondering if it's just my rig?  :dunno

It happens just with my desktop PC, and only on Huskerboard.  Started happening a few weeks ago.

Specs:
2007 Acer Aspire x3590 - Desktop PC
Windows 7 Home Premium - Niiice
Intel Core i3 3.07Ghz
64-bit OS
Mozilla Firefox 47.0.2  
(Bought it brand new 10 years ago.  Still runs pretty good)

So my question is, what can I do?  
I really like using the back button to go back one page.

Let me know if I need to create a new ticket instead for tech support.  Just wasn't sure where to put this.  TIA

• Enhance changed the title to Browser 'back' button not working

@admo I went ahead and created a new thread for this issue. Generally speaking, unless an issue you're experiencing is nearly identical to another user or topic, it's best to start a new thread/ticket here.

I have not heard of users experiencing similar problems. You're using an outdated OS that is no longer supported as of January, 2020, which is kind of my low-hanging fruit gut reaction. That could be playing a significant role here. You're going to start experiencing more and more issues over time. It'll be like trying to patch dry wall as the foundation crumbles.

There are still ways to update to Windows 10 for free online so I recommend investigating those. But, if you have to pay for the upgrade, it's a necessary investment IMO.

Otherwise:

1) Double check you have the most recent version of Firefox

2) You could try downloading Google Chrome and seeing if that browser works.

I don't know if there's much we're going to be able to do from a tech support standpoint but I'll tag @Mavric and @BigRedMax here just in case.

• Thanks 1

Is it doing that all the time?  I've noticed that after I vote in a poll or something and try to use the back button it basically just looks like it refreshed the page because the browser seems to think I went to a different "'page" when I voted in the poll.

Other than that, I don't really have any good suggestions.  It would seem to be something specific to your machine.

• Thanks 1

Thanks yall.  

It is intermittent (works some days)  @Mavric

Yeah, I'm sure the issue is something on my end.  My browser is wayy out of date (current version is 88.0.1), and that's probably the root cause @Enhance.  I have Chrome & IE on it and experience no problems.  I also have a Thinkpad T43 dual boot with windows and linux, and experience no problems either.  Although not running firefox on the laptop.  

So until I update FF version, I can still right click the back arrow button, and jump over the page - as the same page will be shown twice.  

(example -)

Board Feedback

Forums - Huskerboard.com

@JJ Husker I know right? :lol:  Counting my blessings :thumbs 

Starts every time, runs good... I think she can go another 100K Miles running Win 7 chuckleshuffle

@Toe Yeah, I know.  It's embarrassing to admit that.  But, to answer your question, it was last version I enjoyed.  The next few versions had issues, lots of upgrades and bug fixes, and didn't support some previous features.  I remember not liking it so I reverted back to this version and it's been good since then.  A few hiccups of course, as expected.