Thunderin' Bolts vs. Michigan

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

As of today, D1Baseball.com has Nebraska headed to Spokane:

1. Gonzaga (15)

4. Northeastern

2. Nebraska

3. Oregon State

I have no idea if this was generated before or after today's game.

Funny enough, a good friend of mine’s son is a starting pitcher for University of San Diego and they have a 3 game series with Gonzaga this weekend. His son would have gotten got drafted a couple of years ago, but they couldn’t come to an agreement on the signing bonus with teams before the draft so he opted to bet on himself to get a higher payday and went to college instead. USD needs a sweep of Gonzaga for a shot at the conference title so hopefully my buddies son will pitch a gem tonight and put a chink in Gonzaga’s resume. 

On. a side note related to another thread topic, my buddy’s son was recruited by NU but they were worried about Silva’s negative track record with pitching arm injuries.

Are they going to try and start Shay on Sunday? He hasnt been great of late. 

If not, what do they try to cobble together inning wise? Im guessing it depends on how deep Roach can go tomorrow. 

Bolt said on the radio prior to the game that he didnt view these games as do or die and wasnt going to press with his pitchers. Povich then threw 8 innings and Schwelly finished so- not sure what he has in mind. 

14 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

If not, what do they try to cobble together inning wise? Im guessing it depends on how deep Roach can go tomorrow. 

After a CG 120+ pitch performance, I’d approach Hroch’s start more like a bullpen, just stay sharp and get other arms ready for post-season. With that said, In Bolt I Trust.

Erstad wasn’t a head coach, but he definitely set the table for Bolt to make minor tweaks and parlay prior success to nab a few young stars in the making. As Bolt stated, the culture was not an issue when he arrived - which allowed him to coach the game, not attitude and effort. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Bolt said on the radio prior to the game that he didnt view these games as do or die and wasnt going to press with his pitchers. Povich then threw 8 innings and Schwelly finished so- not sure what he has in mind. 

Povich threw 7 innings. Bunz pitched the 8th. Povich and Hroch was/will be limited to no more than 90 pitches. Povich was getting tagged in the 7th so no way he would have come out and pitched the 8th anyway, he finished with 86 pitches.

Probably will see Kyle Perry start Sunday for a few more innings of rehab, Schanaman available in the bullpen.

Yes Perry looked pretty sharp last time out. First time out, not so much. It would be AWESOME if this late free season bump set the table for next year after coming off of surgery. 

Yes, they were hitting Povich pretty hard in those late innings, defense was stellar. Bunz threw 20 pitches- Schelly only threw 8. Bolt said he wasnt going to press it- but you would think Schelly and even Bunz could go some on Sunday if needed.  

Both Bun, Schwelly could go tomorrow if needed. Bolt & company want the series win but Bolt won't burn arms. Pitch count on starters and keep arms fresh in the bullpen. That said, I believe if the good guys are up by 2 or less in the 9th tomorrow Schwelly will be used.

Hroch needs to take today's game by Povich as an assault on his own position as reigning pitcher of the week and throw 9 straight innings of 1-pitch at-bats for a perfect, 27-pitch complete game, which has never been done in the history of baseball anywhere except maybe some shady Cuban league. "How's THAT for immaculate?" his mustache would say right to Cade's decidedly un-mustachioed face after the game :koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2::koolaid2:

Or 6 or 7 solid innings would be fine too I guess.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

I am not sure what you are getting at. Povich went 7 and he wasn’t being pushed pitch count wise.