Thunderin' Bolts vs. Michigan

Friday, May 28 (Noon)
Pitching: LHP Cade Povich (5-1) vs. LHP Steve Hajjar (4-0)
TV/Streaming: BTN, FOX Sports App
Radio: Husker Sports Network

Saturday, May 29 (Noon)
Pitching: RHP Chance Hroch (5-1) vs. RHP Cameron Weston (6-3)

Sunday, May 30 (Noon)
Pitching: TBA vs. LHP Jacob Denner (4-4)

The newly crowned Big Ten Champions Nebraska (29-11) and Michigan (26-15) finish the regular season this weekend in Lincoln.

With two wins, Nebraska can finish with a win percentage over .700 which would be the first time since 2014.

Michigan is currently batting .281 (2nd), 54 (3rd) HRs, 206 (2nd) BBs, 333 (5th) Ks, and a .971 (4th) fielding percentage.

Pitching wise they have a 4.06 (3rd) ERA, 168 (8th) BBs, 388 (3rd) Ks, and a .241 (2nd) opponent batting average.

Nebraska is currently batting .282 (1st), 50 (4th) HRs, 200 (t-3rd) BBs, 367 (10th) Ks, and a .981 (1st) fielding percentage.

Pitching wise we have a 3.93 (2nd) ERA, 132 (1st) BBs, 366 (6th) Ks, and a .247 (4th) opponent batting average.

Edited by hskrfan4life
  • Plus1 2

Those numbers are Van Horne baseball. Play aggressive, with an edge.

Love how NU is aggressive on the basepaths, seems like they are picking up bases here and there about every game. Great defense and not giving away many walks. Solid pitching with fairly deep relief. A team that's aggressive at the plate but still is able to get a fair amount of walks. Mentally strong team that has the ability to hit all throughout the order and come back when down early. 

Van Horne also recruited the Midwest really well- then took kids from the hotbed states that may have been overlooked a bit. Seems like Coach Bolt is doing all of that- no shame in copying greatness. 

12 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Those numbers are Van Horne baseball. Play aggressive, with an edge.

Love how NU is aggressive on the basepaths, seems like they are picking up bases here and there about every game. Great defense and not giving away many walks. Solid pitching with fairly deep relief. A team that's aggressive at the plate but still is able to get a fair amount of walks. Mentally strong team that has the ability to hit all throughout the order and come back when down early. 

Van Horne also recruited the Midwest really well- then took kids from the hotbed states that may have been overlooked a bit. Seems like Coach Bolt is doing all of that- no shame in copying greatness. 

The one thing I could never figure out under the last coaching staff was the reluctance for not recruiting more local kids.  For all its faults in churning out elite basketball and football talent consistently that problem doesn't exist when it comes to baseball.  There are a lot of damn good kids in the state and it's good to see more of them heading down to Lincoln.

31 minutes ago, Xmas32 said:

The one thing I could never figure out under the last coaching staff was the reluctance for not recruiting more local kids.  For all its faults in churning out elite basketball and football talent consistently that problem doesn't exist when it comes to baseball.  There are a lot of damn good kids in the state and it's good to see more of them heading down to Lincoln.

This is secondhand from some people I know so take it with as much salt as necessary, but I heard a few times that Erstad didn't really hit it off that well with local baseball coaches. I don't know if the recruiting aspect of it was a cause or a result of that, but I had heard that the relationships between the previous staff and local programs wasn't the best. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

This is secondhand from some people I know, but I got the impression that Erstad didn't really hit it off that well with local baseball coaches. I don't know if the recruiting aspect of it was a cause or a result of that, but I had heard that the relationships between the previous staff and local programs wasn't the best. 

From what I heard Erstad also had a really ignorant mind set regarding recruiting and thought that the talent here wasn't good enough.  

• Fire 2
25 minutes ago, Cdog923 said:

This is secondhand from some people I know so take it with as much salt as necessary, but I heard a few times that Erstad didn't really hit it off that well with local baseball coaches. I don't know if the recruiting aspect of it was a cause or a result of that, but I had heard that the relationships between the previous staff and local programs wasn't the best. 

I've heard the same. 

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Goal stays the same: get 2 out of 3, stay healthy and keep rolling. 

I know it doesn’t mean anything regarding the conference title, but winning 2 out of 3 would also give NU winning records this season against all of the top teams in the conference, which would be a very nice cherry on the top of a fun season.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 hour ago, RedSavage said:

From what I heard Erstad also had a really ignorant mind set regarding recruiting and thought that the talent here wasn't good enough.  

John Sanders had the very same mindset and Dave VanHorne showed him those ideas were off base. Excited to see Bolt copying the DVH playbook. Not sure how Erstad got sidetracked- we lost the edginess Nebraska was known for playing with. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, RedSavage said:

2 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

Appreciate your insight fellas.

• Fire 1
  • Oh Yeah! 1

1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

John Sanders had the very same mindset and Dave VanHorne showed him those ideas were off base. Excited to see Bolt copying the DVH playbook. Not sure how Erstad got sidetracked- we lost the edginess Nebraska was known for playing with

I would disagree on this point, Erstad's teams were always full of fight. He may have had a poor recruiting strategy and his teams seemed progressively like they had small margins of error to be successful, which talent can help you overcome, but his teams always fought and were gritty IMO. 

1 hour ago, caveman99 said:

I would disagree on this point, Erstad's teams were always full of fight. He may have had a poor recruiting strategy and his teams seemed progressively like they had small margins of error to be successful, which talent can help you overcome, but his teams always fought and were gritty IMO. 

Agreed, always played with edge.  Just couldn't hit.  It seemed like they always needed to play their 'A' game to have any shot at winning.

1 hour ago, Xmas32 said:

Agreed, always played with edge.  Just couldn't hit.  It seemed like they always needed to play their 'A' game to have any shot at winning.

Silva could always find 3 guys that would compete on the bump, but my god there had to be something off with our arm program. I realize arm injuries happen in baseball but it was beyond excessive. 

• Plus1 2