Pessimistic Views On The 2021 Season

1. Fist game jitters. The Illinois game seems to be a must win game if we want to head into the right direction. In Frost's first season we lost the opener to Colorado who went 5-7 after having a rain out vs Akron. In 19' we played a very average game vs South Bama 35-21 win, followed up by a collapse at Colorado the next week. In 2020 we played a great Ohio St team, started off hot, but ended up losing 52-17.
  2. Running back production. The Huskers return less than 100 yards rushing from the RB position. That is a pretty big red flag when you combine that with transfer Markese Stepp being sidelined all spring and summer. The RB room is also very young and inexperienced. We are going to need production to go with AM in the run game to get to a bowl game. 
  3. Wide Receiver uncertainty. I think we have more talent overall at the position, but like RB we return very little production. Losing Wandale hurts as he had over 3x more yards (461) than the next player in Betts (131). FCS Grad transfer Toure was a big off-season get to go with upperclassmen Martin and Manning. 
  4. Staying healthy. Last year Adrian Martinez missed some action, and Luke had to come in - would be similar situation if Smothers had to take over in his first true snaps in live action. Starting ILB Will Honas is out for the year, and other LBs in Henrich and Reimer missed some action last season along with transfer Kolarevic who missed games at UNI. The staff was looking to have transfer RB Stepp come in and take the reins but he went down with an injury and might be back by the first game. 
  5. Can this be a top 50 defense? Nebraska has only been a top 50 defense twice in the past decade (2011, 2016). When Frost took over they were coming off being the 116th ranked defense in 2017 which they improved to 88th, 66th, 64th. Given the issues we may still see on offense we need this unit to take that next step with the experience we return. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

13 minutes ago, BIG ERN said:

1. Fist game jitters. The Illinois game seems to be a must win game if we want to head into the right direction. In Frost's first season we lost the opener to Colorado who went 5-7 after having a rain out vs Akron. In 19' we played a very average game vs South Bama 35-21 win, followed up by a collapse at Colorado the next week. In 2020 we played a great Ohio St team, started off hot, but ended up losing 52-17.
  2. Running back production. The Huskers return less than 100 yards rushing from the RB position. That is a pretty big red flag when you combine that with transfer Markese Stepp being sidelined all spring and summer. The RB room is also very young and inexperienced. We are going to need production to go with AM in the run game to get to a bowl game. 
  3. Wide Receiver uncertainty. I think we have more talent overall at the position, but like RB we return very little production. Losing Wandale hurts as he had over 3x more yards (461) than the next player in Betts (131). FCS Grad transfer Toure was a big off-season get to go with upperclassmen Martin and Manning. 
  4. Staying healthy. Last year Adrian Martinez missed some action, and Luke had to come in - would be similar situation if Smothers had to take over in his first true snaps in live action. Starting ILB Will Honas is out for the year, and other LBs in Henrich and Reimer missed some action last season along with transfer Kolarevic who missed games at UNI. The staff was looking to have transfer RB Stepp come in and take the reins but he went down with an injury and might be back by the first game. 
  5. Can this be a top 50 defense? Nebraska has only been a top 50 defense twice in the past decade (2011, 2016). When Frost took over they were coming off being the 116th ranked defense in 2017 which they improved to 88th, 66th, 64th. Given the issues we may still see on offense we need this unit to take that next step with the experience we return. 

Good, honest breakdown. I have concerns about this team. This could easily be a very bad season. 

• Fire 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1

I feel like we’re due for some good luck on the injury front.   But that doesn’t mean we’ll get it.   So yes, concerns definitely.   Mainly, I just want to beat Iowa and go to a bowl game.  Get those monkeys off our backs.  

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1

Time for the close games to break out way.  Most of Frost's losses are by one score.  So with a emphasis on fundamentals and hopefully a better culture and attitude, we win more of those close games--  and yes to @Decoy73 point - please beat Iowa. (somehow beat Wisc - would be Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

• Plus1 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1

16 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Time for the close games to break out way.  Most of Frost's losses are by one score.  So with a emphasis on fundamentals and hopefully a better culture and attitude, we win more of those close games--  and yes to @Decoy73 point - please beat Iowa. (somehow beat Wisc - would be Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

nice word choice man

• Oh Yeah! 1
1 minute ago, hagg said:

That's right, offset the negative vibes by that OP guy!    https://www.huskerboard.com/uploads/reactions/200702623_KoolAid2.png

I am going to be optimistic with this outlook every dang year until we lose a game. Then reality hits me. I would rather be joyous and optimistic to the max of our squad than wallow in the "hope we are average" crowd. Because regardless I have zero impact on if the team is worth a damn so why not dream big damnit. 

• Plus1 5
  • Oh Yeah! 3

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Is a 6-6 season even pessimistic at this point? 

Not being snarky. A 6-6 season with new talent emerging, a couple quality wins -- maybe a big upset - and I'm feeling pretty optimistic. 

6-6  > 3-5     I know what you mean.   It would be nice to get a big upset for once.  The last one  vs MSU Mike Riley's 2nd year I believe. 

I'm a hopeful optimist. Hopeful for the absolute top range this team could achieve if everything goes right, knowledgeable to the fact that almost every game is losable and realistic that NU ends up somewhere between the two extremes. With a reasonable expectation that they play what most could describe as well coached good physical football most of the time.  

On 5/26/2021 at 9:41 AM, BIG ERN said:

Hard to disagree with anything you said.  TBH, I agree with all of it.  I'd feel better about the offense with a healthy Fidone and on defense with a healthy Honas.  I think the D will be top 50 as we have some legit guys at all 3 levels.  The OL, has experience, potential and some depth.  As does the DL.  AM has yet to stay healthy.  IMO, this was do to lack of a true #1 RB from the jump.  Each season one has "emerged", but never really grabbed a hold at the start.  It's really simplistic, but ultimately the O will go how AM goes.  Insert obligatory-Yes, it all starts up front comment.  If he makes the reads, relies on th other skill positions we have a better chance of keeping him healthy.

I'd add one area and that's ST play.  If we could even crack the top 90, that's gotta be good for at least one win. We were and are (and until we prove differently) that poor that top 90 would be an improvement.

If we can somehow not be in the bottom 1/3 in all of FBS football in turnover margin, I’ll take that as progress (it’ll translate to wins). 

Outside of the sooners and buckeyes; on paper, we should be right there with a solid chance to win every game if we can by some miracle stop being turnover u

• Plus1 3